Gibson Brands Forums

Shadow Guitars

JuanCarlosVejar

Well, Ren or no Ren... there is no substitute for a Gibson. I have tried all the Epis, and a bunch of pacrim makers. None sound like a gibson. The Eastman E10ss (I have one) is a fantastic guitar, and comes close, but it still is not a J45 - it has more of its own sound. The Farida OT is also a decent series (Elderly) - especially at its price point. But my son's LG2-American Eagle shames it still.

Well, Ren or no Ren... there is no substitute for a Gibson. I have tried all the Epis, and a bunch of pacrim makers. None sound like a gibson. The Eastman E10ss (I have one) is a fantastic guitar, and comes close, but it still is not a J45 - it has more of its own sound. The Farida OT is also a decent series (Elderly) - especially at its price point. But my son's LG2-American Eagle shames it still.

Maybe.. I will be looking forward for reviews though.

It they're built with the same quality standards, solid woods, and still cheap, they might be worth carrying around on a beach campfire...

I, lately, have been very impressed with the quality of the Epiphone Asian guitar factories. I consider myself a Gibson and Epiphone enthusiast. While a Gibson is still a Gibson, Epiphone is getting pretty close to again living up to its great historic reputation, with its leadership role now in Asian-made guitars. Plus, I suspect Epiphone sales are helping to keep Gibson in business with their mass volume sales and value.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazman Jeff

They look a lot like Tanglewood guitars, which are generally very good bang for the buck.

Personally I really like what Epiphone are producing at the moment too. The Masterbilts are lovely guitars, and I’m sure everyone is sick of me rabbiting on about how much I love my IB ‘64 Texan.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the line up in store that had them for evaluation. I was immediately taken with them. Very nice. They reminded me of the very first Epiphone Masterbilts when they were (re)introduced in 2004, but even nicer. Very thin finish and exceptionally handsome looking wood. Very tidy construction, too. I have a dozen or so Gibson acoustics, but I also have a handful of Masterbilts which I appreciate on their own terms. I think these Shadows could well be very worthy instruments, and at a price that would put a good sounding and well-made instrument into a lot of people's hands. Of course, that is going to depend on how successfully Shadow us able to manufacture a large number if instruments of consistent quality, but with Ren lending his not-inconsiderable takent and exoerience, I have no doubt they will succeed.

Red 333

Archived