Gibson Brands Forums

Holy smoke

E-minor7

Inspired by the wizard in bbg's recent thread, I hereby present another take on the phenomenon known as incense.

As some of you might know I not long ago purchased a 1963 cherry burst J-45. All intact and original (including the classic neck-bend from the 14th fret and up).

I really like guitar and have reviewed it here some weeks ago - except for the smell comin' from this oldie, , , which was just plain old, , , with 7 to 8 percent cat-piss in it

(if the staff allows the gutter-language).

Well, what could be done.

Arrrhhh, yeps, the sticks of sweet smoke with the flavor of lavender I seldom use, but keep in the drawer.

So I simply placed a stick in a cork in a bottle on 2 old phone-books for then to lay the 45 down like a bridge between the sofa and a chair positioned right above the lit incense

so the glow would make it up between the strings.

And after doin' that decided to take some photos from the hole in the lower right bout where a plug used to go in.

Not especially equipped for this task, the result was a bit diffuse, but never the less. . .

So ladies & gentlemen, , , drum-roll, , , here the purple-incense-stunt from somewhere in September.

Planned to be presented sooner or later - this was the opportunity.

Enjoy if possible, , , though I can see it may be a bit hard

September ~ ro3Mczb.jpg

. . . . .2017 ~ fWCW4ji.jpg

Notice the bridge-plate nuts behind the X, the gray ash sent inside through the sound-hole and a light casting its circle on the ceiling, which is the back of the guitar.

aah, lavender. Rosewood incense might’ve tried to scoop the mid notes, leaving just like, the faintest soupçon of like, uh, cat pee, with just a flutter of a nutty Edam cheese. Sandalwood might’ve been better suited, as it’s known to exorcise demons and evil spirits. ‘Wouldn’t be so fast to blame the cat- that would take a helluva aim- I mean, I’ve heard some tales of some crazy parties where someone didn’t like what was coming out of the guitar. . .

Your dilemma is related, in a roundabout way, to the topic of air movement into, and out of guitars- I believe it plays a part in the curing and aging in the materials they’re put together with. Also wondering if anyone has measured, or looked at, the movement of air when a guitar is played. As far as the ’63 in question, instead of masking, maybe leaving the guitar out in a safe place for an extended period of time, hopefully getting some sunshine inside. And the following should also send BBG off to find another link of guitar virtuosity: maybe an aquarium pump constantly pumping fresh air into the guitar, monitoring hydration (hope you got sufficiently hydrated this weekend). Flame on.

Personally, I would have gone with patchouli to give it that true 1960s scent.

Not sure I'm familiar with that particular flavor, zomb - patchouli

, , , but if you as the authorized 60's guide point in that direction, it will be tried out sooner or later. Hopefully in another connection.

Not sure I'm familiar with that particular flavor, zomb - patchouli

, , , but if you as the authorized 60's guide point in that direction, it will be tried out sooner or later. Hopefully in another connection.

Patchouli was the classic hippie fragrance, and came in many forms from oil to incense.

Had a serious flashback when ZW brought it up. I assume you can still buy it. We used to use it to mask other smells. Not that it really did....

Patchouli was the classic hippie fragrance, and came in many forms from oil to incense.

Had a serious flashback when ZW brought it up. I assume you can still buy it. We used to use it to mask other smells. Not that it really did....

If U say so too, I'll be out hunting tomorrow. Might even recognize/remember the scent.

Can still see the confused faces on the bus when I got on and obviously were all thinking 'what IS that smell'

Smelt it recently and it ain't as attractive as my 18 year old self thought it was

Okay, bbg, your voice is heard. What would you recommend now that I'm out chasing smoke. .

It's available - my sometimes 'retro' youngest daughter discovered it a couple years ago; I'm still laughing.

Personally, I would have gone with patchouli to give it that true 1960s scent.

Anybody who walked past (of course none of us here would have thought remotely about entering😂) any 'head shop' in the day knows that nostalgic aroma! 😎

Patchouli lit up and recognized. A very basic hippie flavor.

Only stood through half a stick tho - that was enough.

The temple still ooozes with those leaves. Strongly felt every time I come home.

Okay, , , but wonder how long it'll last.

Now back to Gibsons

Ya know , when patchouli was mentioned I immediately thought of the oil which we used to dab on ourselves and have been conversing since about the oil / perfume

Sorry em7 . Slightly crossed wires

As you say - back to gibsons

I associate that fragrance with some of my fondest recollections of playing my Gibson😂

Archived