Gibson Brands Forums

Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo

AJpicker

How about a third release of the Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo?

Add a Thermally Aged Adirondack top.

Please keep the neck profile

Any buyers?

Yes

I'm in. I don't necessarily need a toasted top, but I'd still buy. I had my hopes up when I saw the title of this thread...

I have a 2012, and I have said it many times here. Best new guitar I have ever played. To my taste, it has the perfect set of features, and besides, it is also just about as cosmetically perfect a Gibson guitar can ever be. Besides normal SJ looks, it also has the sunset burst, rectangular bridge, white button tuners, Banner logo, and bound fingerboard. I love this model.

Lars

There's actually one listed on the Gibson website, $3349

I'm pretty sure that link is for the original 2012 issue. It states production is limited in 2013.

Gibson Link

Here'e a cache of the 2015 "Supreme" version. For some reason, it's not listed on the Gibson website any longer.

Supreme Gibson Link

I have a "Supreme" version and love it. Was able to compare it side by side to the Fuller's J45 Legend that is fully torrified and think it comes close to sounding as good, but it looks tons better. The fit and finish of the Legend was disappointing IMO.

I'm pretty sure that link is for the original 2012 issue. It states production is limited in 2013.

Gibson Link

Here'e a cache of the 2015 "Supreme" version. For some reason, it's not listed on the Gibson website any longer.

Supreme Gibson Link

You're absolutely right

I have a "Supreme" version and love it. Was able to compare it side by side to the Fuller's J45 Legend that is fully torrified and think it comes close to sounding as good, but it looks tons better. The fit and finish of the Legend was disappointing IMO.

There's a used 2015 SCSJ Supreme for sale at Greg Boyd's. $2,450 asking price.

My link

Although many here know the asking price on the SoJo at Greg Boyd’s could also get some interesting new guitars with warranty, that Waverly equipped guitar might be worth the extra bump, especially if the $ is negotiable. Neck does look to be a good profile.

Greg Boyd’s site also has a couple of other interesting Gibson acoustics, check out the nicely faded burst on his ’66 J-160E.

A thorough description on that Southern Jumbo listing by Mr. Boyd. I’ve never seen “grain lines per inch” included in a listing for a guitar for sale. . . has this started a new precedent- something new to obsess over?

How about a third release of the Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo?

Add a Thermally Aged Adirondack top.

Please keep the neck profile

Any buyers?

Yes

Yup, except don't call it the Sheryl Crow. I HATE guitars with someone's name on it. It's my guitar dammit, if anyone's name's gonna be on it I'll burn mine on there.

Yup, except don't call it the Sheryl Crow. I HATE guitars with someone's name on it. It's my guitar dammit, if anyone's name's gonna be on it I'll burn mine on there.

That is exactly why I removed the soundhole label on mine. I don't especially care for her name on one of my guitars, especially not on one so clearly inspired by the "label-less" Banner era guitars from the 1940's.

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

There's a used 2015 SCSJ Supreme for sale at Greg Boyd's. $2,450 asking price.

My link

I couldn't pass on this one. The Adirondack top and Waverly tuners on this model have interested me since the first limited run came out in 2012. The dealer worked with me on the price, so I made a deposit on it today. Thanks to 'AJpicker' for starting this thread and to 'thegreatgumbino' for posting the link to the guitar at Greg Boyd's. They were over the top helpful and a real pleasure to work with. I'll post a pic or two when it arrives, probably later next week.

I couldn't pass on this one. The Adirondack top and Waverly tuners on this model have interested me since the first limited run came out in 2012. The dealer worked with me on the price, so I made a deposit on it today. Thanks to 'AJpicker' for starting this thread and to 'thegreatgumbino' for posting the link to the guitar at Greg Boyd's. They were over the top helpful and a real pleasure to work with. I'll post a pic or two when it arrives, probably later next week.

Congrats! A real keeper!

Congrats! I love mine. I hope you get lot of enjoyment out of it. Glad to hear the dealer was good to work with as well.

• 5 months later...

Hide glue bracing

I was under the impression that the 2015 Supreme model already had hide glue Adi bracing?

Radiused top with 1930's advanced scalloped bracing and hot hide glue for projection and resonance

This is from the archived Gibson SCSJ Supreme page.

I would prefer a thicker neck ala the Vintage or 1942 Banner Reissue / Legend models.

I was a big fan of the original iteration of the Crow. Lovely instruments. I own a natural finish 1990 Hummingbird which is basically the same guitar, bar some pickguard Hummingbirdiness. Super.

Yes, I know it's an old post, but to avoid misunderstandings among green readers,

the first Sheryl Crow was a Country Western based on her fixed saddled 1962 first year square version of that model.

It came out in the late 90's and was a fine shot at reproducing one of the then modern 60's originals.

The fact that the Country Westerns were slope shouldered before '62 and therefor closer to the pre-1962 Southern Jumbo talked about above, is another story.

And now things suddenly get too complicated for weekend-comfort - better stop h...

Archived