Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera P93 Wiring Modifications

Straightener

I am the very happy owner of a new Riviera P93. I am really enjoying the guitar, however, it wouldn't be me if I didn't tinker with it a bit. I understand quite a few people have modded these with a kill switch for the middle pickup (as opposed to turning the volume all the way down on it). I was planning on installing new pots and switchcraft jack & switch to the guitar at some point, and figured I would add a push/pull pot on the middle pickup as an on/off switch. My issue is how to wire this up - I can't find 'reliable' wiring diagrams for the guitar to begin with, and although I can solder/wire up just about anything, I am useless without a schematic. Anyone here have a diagram or instructions on this?

Thanks!

I am the very happy owner of a new Riviera P93. I am really enjoying the guitar, however, it wouldn't be me if I didn't tinker with it a bit. I understand quite a few people have modded these with a kill switch for the middle pickup (as opposed to turning the volume all the way down on it). I was planning on installing new pots and switchcraft jack & switch to the guitar at some point, and figured I would add a push/pull pot on the middle pickup as an on/off switch. My issue is how to wire this up - I can't find 'reliable' wiring diagrams for the guitar to begin with, and although I can solder/wire up just about anything, I am useless without a schematic. Anyone here have a diagram or instructions on this?

Thanks!

I own the same guitar and upgraded all of the electronics (excluding pickups) to USA made components. I did not install a kill switch for the middle pickup and left the guitar as originally configured. I too could not find a wiring diagram for this guitar, so I asked Epiphone/Gibson directly. They provided me with a wiring diagram for an Epiphone 3 DOT P90 guitar, which the luthier I used to install the electronics told me was the correct configuration. If you can find this schematic, then you should have a guide as to how your guitar is currently configured. Please note that if you upgrade to USA electronic components, they use different measurement scales and are sized differently than the Chinese made stock components. As such, you may need to increase the size of the guitar's holes for pot and jack shafts, and you may also need new knobs to fit the larger shafts.

Good luck!

Archived