Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement RD Artist tuners (six string)

I am looking at replacing a well rusted set of tuners on my '77 RD Artist six string. The OEM originals were Schaller's but they have no ready replacement with a keystone (tulip) peg style. To get the same, I would have to place a custom order with Schaller. You could only image how expensive that would be to have a set made for you? The SG-360 Gotoh's look as close as I can get. I would like to use a vintage style Gibson (new) replacement but that choice is simply not out there (to the best of my knowledge). Since this style of tuner was used across a wide array of Gibson's (SGs, Les Pauls) of that era, I am looking for some experienced advice here. It seems the Gotoh line is Japanese made and my second love is a Yamaha SBG2000, that is the way I am leaning at the moment. I do not want to put any new holes in the head stock when I would have any other choice. Thanks!

Thanks for the link but these tuners are in just as bad a shape as the ones on the RD now. With the original pickups, I was otherwise able sand them down to a high polish and use brush electroplating. I am sure that many of us would like a fresh set of Schaller's but Schaller is just not interesting in supplying the marketplace with affordable vintage support. I hope the Gotoh's do work out? I will send a topic update when I get a set in.

Thanks again. It's that particular straight down screw support tag (and not offset) which I first spied on the Gotoh's with a stock keystone order option. I would like a drop in fit such that I do not need to jam that support screw in on any kind of angle. Actually... those style of keys are also common on my '74 Gibson SG.

Grover Mini Rotomatics seem to be close at first glance but alas without a peg style choice. It's true that I do need to research this issue more and critically review the drawings too. Gotoh seems to have a lot of options even to the point I could entertain lockables and may be (still) be dead on fit compatible. Yahama is actually using Gotoh's and they are Japanese made and not a China knockoffs. That would make you run to the hills, making you 'Got oh' remove them....

The RD Artist is no longer fully stock that does not bother me so much. I had to fully shield the inner body cavity for the Moog electronics RF pickup among other things. A nice rig even though it's no longer truly vintage anymore.

Did you go on Schallers website? I wanted to replace the buttons on a set of M6’s and had to go on their site then get a place in California to order them for me. Took about 4 months. They were not that expensive. I took some gold tulips off if you’re only interested in the buttons.

Indeed, I did go to the Schaller website and even made direct contact via email. I got the word 'a custom make' and no further follow-up beyond that (?). Sad... and eventually uncooperative. I cannot say that I saw a listing of Schaller replacement or substitute parts when cruising the site myself to even make up part number(s). If they don't want to support vintage Gibson's, it's their choice (I guess). I would not mind an OEM update as my first choice. You or I might see a potential product line here serviced what... ten million plus instrument? Dense...

BTW I do see that many of the new Gibson 'do indeed' carry Grovers keystone. However, the problem remains that the screw mount tab is offset & angled. Hole filling and drilling, not on? Thanks for the offer on the buttons but the body on the keys is also badly corroded in places too. The Gotoh's seem a respectable option with my own choice to choose and advanced set with locks. SG360-04 MG-T's GG (gold). I can't promote them any higher than that until I order a set in. Yes, I will get the old RD baby an upgrade gift for Christmas this year that will not mark it up.

These are the standard M6 tuners that came on my L5.

I bought some replacement imperial buttons

This guitar is only 3 yrs old. Maybe Gibson Memphis or Nashville can help or their Nashville repair shop.

These are the guys I got my buttons from. A lot less than going direct.

http://www.lmii.com/

5678F078-410D-43FC-BA32-63C3C9FDB86B_zpspvoncbel.jpg

Archived