Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day

generaldreedle

So when I had posted earlier about the local GC having two guitars, a HB ebony and J200 for sale and dithering about everything, someone chimed in and said I should "audition" every southern jumbo out there if I liked bluegrass and such. I thought at the time "well that's not terribly helpful right now, given that the local GC didn't have that and I was trying to decide. Anyway, the j200 sale fell through, thankfully, then someone else bought it, then they brought in a 2017 Traditional Southern Jumbo-- whatever that means. And lo and behold it was exactly what I was looking for. Traded in the j45 custom, which sounded great but too much like my other rosewood guitar- and got this, which again, sounded fantastic in the store and sounds great at home. I'll post photos when they upload.

Couple of things-- thanks to the forum this guitar was on my radar, because I know people here are really knowledgable about the differences, so when the southern jumbo came into the store I was more than willing to take it out and play it. I had never seen one there before and neither had the sales guy who had been working there for years. Second, trading in a guitar at guitar center isn't a terrible deal, I got 60% of what I thought was a fair market price for my old one, but that was before sales tax, and then for the trade in I got 10% off the purchase price, so it worked out great.

Anyways, thanks to all the people on this forum for their expertise.

You must know that unless you post photos it did not happen.

But Congrats.

You always get hosed on trade-ins no matter where you go. The rule of thumb seems to be they give you 50% of what they think they can sell the guitar for. Then again, there is something to be said for avoiding the hassle of dealing with buyers, boxing and shipping.

....it looks just like a J-45 to my eyes.

Yeah, I must be a Gibbie newbie... What's the difference between a Southern Jumbo and a Super Jumbo and a J200 and an SJ200? (I do know what a CJ165 is, which I gas for....msp_wink.gif)

Yeah, I must be a Gibbie newbie... What's the difference between a Southern Jumbo and a Super Jumbo and a J200 and an SJ200? (I do know what a CJ165 is, which I gas for....msp_wink.gif)

Southern Jumbo is a blinged up J45, sometimes referred to as an 'SJ'.

Super Jumbo is 'code' for an SJ200, also sometimes referred to as an "SJ".

J100 is a bling'less SJ200, same body size.

Sometimes they're just called J200.

The woods used for B/S can vary a lot nowadays - use to be traditionally maple.

Hope that helped muddy the water!

Ok, so there were earlier posts on this that I learned something from-- at some points different quality woods were used on the southern jumbo, the bridge is placed differently, and in my experience at the store in comparing it to a J45 and watching videos of comparison the sound is different. The southern jumbo is a little more clear maybe, a little less "back of the throat" (can't think of a better way to describe it), than a J45.

It's exactly the sound I was looking for, very pleased.

That’s brilliant to hear, I’ve been following your journey down the SJ200/Hummingbird/SJ path and I’m really glad to hear you settled on the right guitar!

The other upside is that the SJ is iconic but not indelibly linked to another artist by association-other than you, now!

That’s brilliant to hear, I’ve been following your journey down the SJ200/Hummingbird/SJ path and I’m really glad to hear you settled on the right guitar!

The other upside is that the SJ is iconic but not indelibly linked to another artist by association-other than you, now!

Yeah it was a bit of a soap opera, funny how the hummingbird didn't quite do it for me, and while I liked the j200, the southern jumbo just seems more versatile. I've practiced my bluegrass, stemmed, played some acoustic stones songs, did well on all of them.

Archived