Gibson Brands Forums

15 Vintage Gibson Les Paul Guitars Comparison!

Rabs

Very interesting, the 59 really stood out to me but all the guitars sounded good. From 59 up the guitars have a richer, creamier, full body sound. The 58 was almost there too. It’s plain to me that at the end of the 50s Gibson had perfected the Les Paul. I would have liked to heard a few more guitars post 2007 when Gibson started playing with varios types of chambering.

I spoke to Johan a while back through youtube comments. He said most of the guitars and amps he uses are borrowed from friends. All I can say is that none of my friends have a collection anywhere near that good

Only the 73 stood out because it had more clarity, but I'm sure that was down to lower output pickups (hence the lower volume).

In practical terms it wouldnt matter much. The others could sound just as clear with some volume adjustment.

Of the HB models, they are all similar enough in sound to defer the choice to colour/finish.

The film has consolidated my opinion that one LP is enough.

We have our own ideas of what nice tone is, but sort of a pointless exercise as we know that two or three from the exact same year will all sound a little different. Personally I liked the '68 the best, which I believe was the year Gibson brought the LP back after stopping production for several years. To me the hallowed '59 was one of my least favorite tones - so to each their own.

Finally got around to watching this. There were more differences than I expected - even through the laptop speakers. I wish they had included pickup measurements, but here's what I noticed...

The 59 and 68 had the most output/crunch

The 52, 53, 55 were bright and almost Tele like - very cool

The 57 had a lot of that same brightness but with the rounder tone of the humbuckers. It was one of the best sounding I thought.

The 58 sounded muddy at those amp settings

The 73 sounded thin and anemic

The 74 and 76 were thin too

Archived