Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Gibson's

NighthawkChris

I have recently purchased a 2015 LP Custom tri-burst. It is pretty much a nice heavy block of solid body (has to be around 10lbs easy - will weigh soon enough), electronics are "classical-like" (soldered "popcorn part" pots and caps - as one would expect I suppose), the tuners are Grovers, and there is no cheezy hologram on the back of the neck-headstock region. Cosmetically, it is fabulous to say the least. What imperfections exist, I have to look very closely at it to see them. Overall, the guitar I wanted. Oh, and it sounds real nice to me with the 498T and 490R pickups.

Going online the biggest gripe with a 2015 (as far as I can tell) is with the G-Force tuner system and the brass (titanium replacement) nut. The brass nut... yeah this is an issue, and a big one IMHO. At least I gather the replacement is free... The tuning system with a faulty nut material doesn't help promote the tuning system any either. I have heard there are complaints of placing an internal PCB in the control cavity. I don't see how that's a bad deal, but if you want to mod the guitar, then maybe it will pose a problem. My guitar does not seem to conform to this stuff whatsoever. It has a plastic (corian?) nut, classical gold HW tuners, electronics are wired, and based on feel, I think that it is not weight relieved... Frets are also very nice with well-cut nibs... Finish and figured maple top is just stunning.

So, I love the guitar - definitely not intending on returning it at all. It is a straight up Les Paul with that familiar LP tone we all love so much. I suppose it seems that the 2015 lineup is focused on Gibson USA and their QC mishaps, not the Custom Shop? Because, honestly, it seems like my guitar was handled with love at the factory, at the GC I bought it from, and now it is in my possession. Received it in a very acceptable condition - and yes for the money I paid for it, it is up to par. The experience was a great one from picking it out, to finally receiving it in my possession. I live in MI and ordered my LPC from Manhattan GC, so it had an extra shipping detail prior to it falling into my hands. Everyone has done a great job with it, but this is GC related. Just mentioning because even after going through GC's hands, it still arrived in awesome condition.

So what else is the stigma with 2015 Gibson guitars? I don't get it and how all of a sudden, 2016's came out and you get a wonderful Gibson...

The “stigma” is because Gibson tried to force the changes on every LP that year. If the 2015 features had just been on a single model, or a few models, no one would have cared. It was the across the board part that bothered 99% of the people complaining.

Also Gibson jacked up the prices on the 2015s toabsurd levels. So they made changes very few people liked or wanted then jacked the prices up on top of that. The guitars themselves aren’t bad as far as playability goes. They’re just different (and IMO goofy) looking.

I own a ‘15 junior and it plays great but I ditched the G Force, put a Tusq nut on it and covered up that ridiculous looking sig with a sticker. On the Standards, Deluxe etc the three knobs just look weird to me but I’m sure they play great, or as good as any LP.

The only change I like on the 15s is the wider fretboard, but even that I wouldn’t want on every LP. It’s just a nice option to have if you want it.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, I was playing my 2015 LP Custom, and it is a real nice piece of work... The more I play it, the more I appreciate it. Aside from the guitar needing a setup after paying Gibson money, the guitar is outright awesome. Looks beautiful and most importantly, sounds and plays great (of course after a setup). I could go on and on how Gibson doesn't setup even a Custom Shop guitar (the saddles were in a straight line - my screwdriver was first to manipulate the TOM), but the HW is functional and I have no complaints whatsoever about it. The action is nice - the TOM is nearly touching the body! I did raise the tail a little as it was causing the strings and TOM to come into contact.

Overall, this guitar is spectacular, and for what I paid for it, it will be worth it to me if it means I have a beautiful looking and sounding instrument for the ages. Like I said, the more I play it, the better it gets. The intonation seems to get better and it definitely stays in tune much better. The tuning machines were a bit stiff at first being that they were pretty new and unused, but I adjusted the screw torque on the Grovers to make them more "pleasant" to operate - enough to hold a string in place but not too tight that it takes a tool to twist the peg-head. But that's all it took for the tuning machines... The nut doesn't plink (bind) the strings anymore thanks #2 pencil... I have been playing some country/jazz/blues with it and it fits in nicely. Sustain is great and the tone is amazing coming out of the 498T/490R set. Overall, really starting to love this guitar and have it feel like one of my old trusty guitars. I can easily see how this will become one of my most favorite guitars as I spend the years with it. It's all the Les Paul anyone would ever want, haha! Always been a Gibson guy since I started playing as a kid, and I haven't swayed the path. I went all in on them and I am not regretful of my decision to pull the trigger on this tri-burst LP Custom. Just love how the flames on the finish move when I look at it in different light! Even my little nephew who is 10, doesn't play guitar was in awe of how beautiful it looks as he was afraid to touch it, haha! I mean, damn, every inch of this guitar is just awesome, and she will be played msp_biggrin.gif

Yeah....but Gibson didn’t mess up the Customs in 2015.

Archived