Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson M2 - Anyone tried one yet?

RevDavidLee

2017-gibson-s-m2-gibzone.jpg

The marketing verbiage:

Gibson M2 is a product of a made in the USA Revolution. Truly the dawn of a new era for made in the USA guitars, the Gibson M2 was designed around Gibson's standards of quality and innovation for Gibson USA's new S Series, bringing unprecedented value in an American-made guitar.

Key features

Mini-button tuners: These tuners provide reliable, long-lasting tunings.

Tektoid nut: Dense and self-lubricating for great sustain and accurate return to pitch.

Satin slim taper maple neck: One of the most comfortable and fastest neck that Gibson has ever made.

One piece rosewood fingerboard: High standard of quality for truly amazing tone, sustain and playability.

Solid poplar body: Recognized for well-balanced tones.

New Light Gloss true Nitro finish: New Light Gloss is a nitrocellulose finish for ultimate resonance and beautiful aging.

Gibson Pro-Buckers humbuckers: For those legendary Gibson humbucker tones.

Adjustable wrap-around bridge: Great sustain with adjustability for accurate intonation.

Simple controls: One volume, one tone and one toggle switch - direct control.

S Series Gigbag: Comes in a gigbag

FEATURES

Body

Body shape: Single cutaway

Body type: Solid body

Body material: Solid wood

Top wood: Not applicable

Body wood: Multi-ply Poplar

Body finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose

Orientation: Right handed

Neck

Neck shape: SlimTaper

Neck wood: Maple

Joint: Set-in

Scale length: 24.75 in.

Truss rod: Standard

Neck finish: Gloss

Fretboard

Material: Rosewood

Radius: 12 in.

Fret size: Medium

Number of frets: 22

Inlays: Trapezoid

Nut width: 1.69 in. (43 mm)

Pickups

Configuration: HH

Neck: Pro-Bucker Rhythm

Middle: Not applicable

Bridge: Pro-Bucker Lead

Brand: Gibson

Active or passive pickups: Passive

Series or parallel: Series

Piezo: No

Active EQ: No

Special electronics: None

Controls

Control layout: Master volume, tone

Pickup switch: 3-way

Coil tap or split: No

Kill switch: No

Hardware

Bridge type: Fixed

Bridge design: Wraparound adjustable

Tailpiece: Not applicable

Tuning machines: Mini-chrome button

Color: Chrome

Other

Number of strings: 6-string

Special features: Price

Case: Gig bag

Accessories: None

Country of origin: United States

For the price - it seems like a no brainer. Has anyone played one yet?

What country is the USA Revolution and do they kneel down at Football games there as well? I have a LP, SG and BB King, and I can't really see needing or wanting one. Good for people who are looking for a guitar in that price range. How long ya think the will be around? My stock probably just went down as well.

Lol [biggrin]

I doubt your stock has gone down - I'm sitting on a brothel of Gibsons & have already purchased two 2018 models so far. I like seeing Gibson introducing some inexpensive models. Mix it up :)

From what I remember about the reviews on these the bridges were a bit of an issue.. It leans forward in the posts making it hard to get a good action... Apparently

Good video - thanks Rabs! [thumbup]

Guitar not worth purchasing - thanks Rabs! [thumbdn]

Everybody move along now... nothing to see here [biggrin]

Good video - thanks Rabs! [thumbup]

Guitar not worth purchasing - thanks Rabs! [thumbdn]

Everybody move along now... nothing to see here [biggrin]

Well now you know..

You could always try one of the Wallmart ones, they have a Gibson headstock so im sure are much better ;)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maestro-by-Gibson-MESGBKCH-Double-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar-Kit/35151662

I can't understand how it's possible to get a brand new guitar (by Gibson mind you [wink]), with amp, lead, strap etc. for less than $80.

Actually, I prefer not to understand, it can't be all beer and sunshine along that supply chain.

I can't understand how it's possible to get a brand new guitar (by Gibson mind you [wink]), with amp, lead, strap etc. for less than $80.

Actually, I prefer not to understand, it can't be all beer and sunshine along that supply chain.

It’s crazy isn’t it?

I was really excited about the M2 when they came out because of the bright colors and low price but it seems like you need to put more money and work into it than it’s worth just to get it playable.

In the video where it shows how far the bridge is leaning forward.. that’s just garbage, even after he put an $85 tailpiece on it. To actually fix that you need to fill the holes and drill them right, which could involve finish touch up work which would be a nightmare. Furthermore, it seems unlikely that they would drill every tailpiece hole crooked leaning towards the neck. Those holes are most likely produced by a CNC. It is far more likely that the body wood (poplar?) is too soft to support the string tension with the shallow tailpiece studs.

I have bought a couple of Squiers (Telecasters) this year. They actually hold tune wonderfully & the neck actions are great as well as the electronics. Gibson should tour their Squier factory.. maybe pick up some tips [mellow] :)

I'm quite taken with the Bullet Mustang which is available in Imperial Blue at £114 from Andertons.... :-k

Oooooo that is attractive & the price is a no brainer :o

sq0311220587.jpg

0311220587_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.jpg

Specs: (Note Rosewood Fretboard) all for $149 :)

Perfect for the raucous sound of indie music, the Bullet Mustang HH is just plain fun to play. Powered by a pair of giant-sounding humbucking pickups, it sports a comfortable “C”-shaped neck with a modern 12 in.-radius fingerboard and a modern six-saddle hardtail bridge. A tonal powerhouse that punches well above its weight, the Bullet Mustang HH is the ideal instrument to power your next hit. Case sold separately.

Key features

One-piece maple neck with “C”-shaped profile

12 in.-radius rosewood fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets

Dual humbucking pickups

Three-way toggle pickup switch

Six-saddle hardtail bridge

Sealed die-cast tuning machines

FEATURES

Body

Body shape: Double cutaway

Body type: Solid body

Body material: Solid wood

Top wood: Not applicable

Body wood: Basswood

Body finish: Gloss

Orientation: Right handed

Neck

Neck shape: C

Neck wood: 1-piece Maple

Joint: Bolt-on

Scale length: 24 in.

Truss rod: Standard

Neck finish: Satin

Fretboard

Material: Rosewood

Radius: 12 in.

Fret size: Medium jumbo

Number of frets: 22

Inlays: Dot

Nut width: 1.656 in. (42 mm)

Pickups

Configuration: HH

Neck: Standard humbucking

Middle: Not applicable

Bridge: Standard humbucking

Brand: Squier

Active or passive pickups: Passive

Series or parallel: Series

Piezo: No

Active EQ: No

Special electronics: None

Controls

Control layout: Master volume, tone

Pickup switch: 3-way

Coil tap or split: No

Kill switch: No

Hardware

Bridge type: Fixed

Bridge design: 6-saddle

Tailpiece: String thru body

Tuning machines: Die-cast sealed

Color: Nickel

Other

Number of strings: 6-string

Special features: Electronics

Case: Sold separately

Accessories: None

Country of origin: China

Well shoot - I have bitten the Bullet.. or rather ordered one. The fun of having acquired all the great & rather expensive guitars that I've always wanted is being able to buy these inexpensive ones for the price of a pedal. I'm having a ball. Pictures when it gets here next week. Thanks jdgm! This is all your fault [razz]

Well shoot - I have bitten the Bullet.. or rather ordered one. The fun of having acquired all the great & rather expensive guitars that I've always wanted is being able to buy these inexpensive ones for the price of a pedal. I'm having a ball. Pictures when it gets here next week. Thanks jdgm! This is all your fault [razz]

Haha... cool.. And why the hell not.. Life really is too short..

:)

That's the bad thing about these forums...there's always somebody helping you spend money!

The Squier Bullet Mustang has arrived!

23031676_1682105198506265_7127692193429247620_n.jpg?oh=76153c12214f4026c52d69711b361da4&oe=5A614A49

22894044_1682105201839598_5423819247502379815_n.jpg?oh=57d8fb927068db020dcde6223f20bb78&oe=5A6A7186

23031460_1682105225172929_4511617964010305900_n.jpg?oh=2fcf9986eff81bc5da364725aeab7b19&oe=5A79174A

Beautifully crafted. Found no imperfections or issues. Waiting for the guitar to warm up to house temperature before tuning her up & plugging her in. :)

Looks good, did it come in that case?

Looks good, did it come in that case?

No - I bought the case elsewhere - it was $42 open box deal. All my gits go in cases - no matter how cheap the guitar.

By the way, I tuned it up earlier this evening & ran it thru my Roland JC-22 for about an hour. Very articulate, chimey & held tune like a much more expensive guitar. Feels great, plays great, sounds exceptional - awesome living room guitar I could have played for hours. Gotta run it thru a tube amp tomorrow & throw some gain on her to see how she howls.

It is amazing to me they can build this quality of a guitar for $149. I love this place. :)

By the way, I tuned it up earlier this evening & ran it thru my Roland JC-22 for about an hour. Very articulate, chimey & held tune like a much more expensive guitar. Feels great, plays great, sounds exceptional - awesome living room guitar I could have played for hours. Gotta run it thru a tube amp tomorrow & throw some gain on her to see how she howls.

It is amazing to me they can build this quality of a guitar for $149. I love this place. :)

I still haven't gone to Andertons to try one yet.

But I will. Soon. Probably.

And if I like it so much I have to buy one......

It will be ALL YOUR FAULT. Yes, ALL YOUR FAULT.

BTW I went to the guitar show at the weekend to see Rabs...and I hesitated and missed a mega-deal; a guy had 4 Chinese LP copies, very nice too - Epi quality, on his stall and was knocking 'em out for £99 apiece.

They went quick, I could have had the best one if I'd jumped.. ](*,) ](*,)

Archived