Gibson Brands Forums

Slope Jumbos family picture

tpbiii

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now yer just showing off.

No, not really. If I were, I would have included some of the other 185 instruments. Just talking about vintage Gibson Js.

My momma always told be showing off is bad form. She always said "I cried because I had no sails until I saw a man who had no yacht."msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom, I think I found one pic of a couple:

TomsJ-45andSJRW_zps91c4c0a1.jpg

Fred

Indeed. The J-45 is still in Canada. The SJ is the 43 rw guitar and it is on the back row on the right. I guess it won't go back to Canada -- under new cites rules, EIRW requires an export license. dry.gif

Best,

-Tom

Indeed. The J-45 is still in Canada. The SJ is the 43 rw guitar and it is on the back row on the right. I guess it won't go back to Canada -- under new cites rules, EIRW requires an export license. dry.gif

Best,

-Tom

Hmmph -- off topic, but it looks like I'll need to get a new photo hosting site. Photobucket appears to be kicking me off, despite their "free" service.

If anyone has a suggestion for a truly free photo hoster site, please pm me!

Fred

Hmmph -- off topic, but it looks like I'll need to get a new photo hosting site. Photobucket appears to be kicking me off, despite their "free" service.

If anyone has a suggestion for a truly free photo hoster site, please pm me!

Fred

If you hear anything, could you let the rest of us know? You're not the only one in that position.

• 3 weeks later...

Your collection is fantastic! I'd love to play one of the Smecks. I am overly smitten with that model right now. What year is the AJ? One of the two best guitars I ever played was a '37 AJ. (The other was a '36 D18.)

I enjoy seeing your pictures posted here and on UMGF...not showing off or boasting in the least.

I am indeed always concerned when I post to groups like this that it will be seen primarily has showing off. And we are indeed human -- my wife and I gain a considerable amount of (otherwise unwarranted) prestige from these things that we bought and collected over time. Pitiful but truewink.gif. The great part of it socially is it allows us to sometimes meet, hang out with, and make music with musical people that are a bit above our natural musical pay grade. rolleyes.gif

But as nice as that perk is, it is nowhere near the top of the list of why were have and care for these old instruments. One of the topics I love is how the sound of guitars from the golden era evolved and how that effected American acoustic music and informs the very music we love and play today. To me that picture of the old Jumbos is not only a collection of icons but a tonal tapestry that both explains why what was played by who historically and which are nonetheless some of the best tools ever built for making music today.

We clearly share some of these perspectives with a lot of you. Like all geeks, I can overdo it. Please excuse me when I do.

Best,

-Tom

Tom! Don't take me so serious, pleeze! I love'em and you can show off for me any time you feel like posting a picture .....I'll be happy.[love]

Your collection is fantastic! I'd love to play one of the Smecks. I am overly smitten with that model right now. What year is the AJ? One of the two best guitars I ever played was a '37 AJ. (The other was a '36 D18.)

I enjoy seeing your pictures posted here and on UMGF...not showing off or boasting in the least.

1936 -- one of the first. Most of our stuff was acquired as an investment as well as a collection before 2002. At that point -- after selling our company -- it became clear we had retirement covered. Since then we bought only a few more -- mostly stuff we could not have afforded before. The AJ was one of those. It is a rare 1936 variant with three scalloped tone bars. It deserves its reputation as a bone crushermsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Best,

-Tom

That AJ must be amazing, Tom!

And I know you've done some trading with my all-time favorite musician, Norman Blake.

Take care,

Keith

We have. Norman does not live too far from us. He is also one of our favorite musicians too for sure -- we do at least a half dozen of his original songs plus many of the traditional songs he has also done over the years.

In person, he is incredibly charming. As a musician, he is way far above my pay scale of course. But we are both from Appalachian and railroad families and we both love traditional music and old guitars. He was a very easy man to geek out with, and we did so for the better part of ten hours on two different days. He showed me and let me play all his guitars -- the house is full of them -- and we brought a bunch of ours to him so he could play them. After the first day, he ask us to come back. Nancy cooked us lunch and hung out with our daughter. It was an altogether wonderful experience.

We came home with three very interesting guitars -- his (pretty famous) Martin 00-40H that he played a lot in the 1990s and up to 2005, a c. 1930 Larson Brothers RW 12-fet, and an c. 1895 Almcrantz. I have always said I was a blue collar collector -- not interested in fancy models and not interested in celebrity guitars. So I have joked that the 00-40H took care of any need I might have for both fancy and celebrity guitars. All three guitars turned out to be unique and totally wonderful instruments -- of course the stuff I traded to him was too.

Let's pick,

-Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I know that Martin 00-40H. I suspect every Norman Blake fan does, as well as his other small bodied guitars: 000-18, 00-45, and Gibson Nick Lucas. I must admit that I miss him playing the '34 D18 from the WBB album and his big 12 fretter, the '34 D18H. Take care, Tom!

-Keith

I know that Martin 00-40H. I suspect every Norman Blake fan does, as well as his other small bodied guitars: 000-18, 00-45, and Gibson Nick Lucas. I must admit that I miss him playing the '34 D18 from the WBB album and his big 12 fretter, the '34 D18H. Take care, Tom!

-Keith

He goes through a lot of guitars for sure.msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Best,

-Tom

For us this was a retirement investment we did over 40 years, but in addition to the portfolio investment rules you have to apply if you are really saving..................

There is a television show called "Strange Inheritance".

If you (both/all/whatever) were to die suddenly, (war/car/plane/whatever crash) your collection would certainly qualify to getting on that show.

What I wonder is, how will you go about "liquidating" your investment when the time comes, to bring top dollar?

Would a huge heavily advertised auction be best, or will you take the massive time and effort involved in selling each one individually?

I usually take a loss when selling my meager instruments because I don't want strangers in my house, the time and effort involved, and just trade them to dealers who will in turn make the profit because it's their business.

Awesome collection Tom, but I am curious how you have worked out that end of the deal.

My very best.

Ben.

(Flip sake murph!)

[biggrin]

Not trying to be morbid here, but it's a serious question to a darn serious situation that will be coming up eventually, and I'm interested in Tom's thoughts on such a huge undertaking. He's obviously a brilliant collector and a sharp mind on the topic.

My wife and I have some real estate, and have "plans" for it in the future.

Not trying to be morbid here, but it's a serious question to a darn serious situation that will be coming up eventually, and I'm interested in Tom's thoughts on such a huge undertaking. He's obviously a brilliant collector and a sharp mind on the topic.

My wife and I have some real estate, and have "plans" for it in the future.

Actually we plan to give them away. We are leaving them to a place -- University -- that can seriously study their sound (remember I was an acoustic geek by trade), take care of them (museum), and interface them to a traditional music program. We got lucky and we really don't need sell them, and this is as close as I could come to taking them with me and doing something positive at the same time.msp_thumbup.gif

Best,

-Tom

Wow, that is great that you are able to do that !

What a noble, yet humble thing to do. You, my friend, are a Giant among men.

And, considering that about 90% of young people have no idea what good tone even is, getting to hear it in real life, not a thin digital reproduction, MIGHT inspire them.

We can only hope.......

[thumbup]

Archived