Gibson Brands Forums

Slope Jumbos family picture

tpbiii

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of you last Saturday as I attended the world's largest guitar show in Arlington, TX. Saw two Original Jumbos and maybe eight of nine J-35s, one of which had a gold script logo on a winged, not straight peghead. The seller dated it as a '41. Perhaps a true transitional J-35 to J-45 model.

Red 333

I was thinking of you last Saturday as I attended the world's largest guitar show in Arlington, TX. Saw two Original Jumbos and maybe eight of nine J-35s, one of which had a gold script logo on a winged, not straight peghead. The seller dated it as a '41. Perhaps a true transitional J-35 to J-45 model.

Red 333

I think the gold label appeared for a short time in 42 on the very first of the "new" models. Of course, Gibson models were never really cleanly transitioned or feature pure, so you get a lot of stuff. The gold label appeared I think originally in about 1939 (we have a 1939 HG-00 with one), but it continued a bit into the J-45/SJ era. There are a few of both from 1942 with that label. It reappeared of course in 1946-47 when the "banner" was removed. They also still made J-35s occasionally at that time.

I wish I could have gone to that show. Maybe next year.msp_biggrin.gif

Best,

-Tom

For us this was a retirement investment we did over 40 years, but in addition to the portfolio investment rules you have to apply if you are really saving and not just playing, we also had another set of rules that guided us. We were interested in iconic models that were sonically excellent and which had had a big impact in the genres and cultures that drove our musical life. Also, we never wanted more than one of each -- limiting ourselves in that way allowed us to throw a wider net.

I guess from that perspective, we covered this J flattop period pretty well. We have (the last ones to arrive) the three RW models (AJ, RSRG, SJ RW (at the back) that can stand in with the old Herringbones for bluegrass (perhaps our favorite genre right now), we have the the mahogany 30s standouts (Jumbo, Trojan/J-35, RSSD), the more civilized Banner era stuff (J-45s and SJ), and a couple of early-mid models (SJ and J-45). Our interest after 1954 was mostly in folk revival era instruments -- we also have a 62 HB and 65 Dove -- but those are not slopes and are really another class of instrument. We use them to play the folk revival songs of our youth. These are just the "large" Gibsons -- we were/are equally interested in the smaller models too.

I guess the two holes I might identify are the J-55 -- although I never really was very interested in this late 30s transition instruments -- and in the J-35 area. Ours is a Trojan -- one of the first ever built -- but there were a lot of variations over the rest of the 1930s, so a lot of "sounds" that we don't have in term of J-35s.

Here is a picture that includes the two birds.

nPlBCYY.jpg

Best,

-Tom

I think the gold label appeared for a short time in 42 on the very first of the "new" models. Of course, Gibson models were never really cleanly transitioned or feature pure, so you get a lot of stuff. The gold label appeared I think originally in about 1939 (we have a 1939 HG-00 with one), but it continued a bit into the J-45/SJ era. There are a few of both from 1942 with that label. It reappeared of course in 1946-47 when the "banner" was removed. They also still made J-35s occasionally at that time.

Best,

-Tom

I was mistaken. White, not gold, script logo.

It also had a double ring rosette, winged (not straight) peghead, AJ-style pickguard, rounded neck heel (not French heel).

I have certainly never seen as many J-35's, OJs, and pre-war J-45s at one of these shows before. I also saw two or three Ray Whitley Recording Kings! It was something like a visit to your house, I'd imagine.

If you ever do go to the Arlington or Dallas shows, let me know. I'd love to meet up.

Red 333

Best,

-Tom

It also had a double ring rosette, winged (not straight) peghead, AJ-style pickguard, rounded neck heel (not French heel).

I have certainly never seen as many J-35's, OJs, and pre-war J-45s at one of these shows before. I also saw two or three Ray Whitley Recording Kings! It was something like a visit to your house, I'd imagine.

If you ever do go to the Arlington or Dallas shows, let me know. I'd love to meet up.

Red 333

Red 333

OK. My daughter lives in Houston, and we spend a fair amount of time in Texas. If we are ever there at the right time, we can meet up.

Best,

-Tom

Always showing off ..... and that's nice.

I am indeed always concerned when I post to groups like this that it will be seen primarily has showing off. And we are indeed human -- my wife and I gain a considerable amount of (otherwise unwarranted) prestige from these things that we bought and collected over time. Pitiful but truewink.gif. The great part of it socially is it allows us to sometimes meet, hang out with, and make music with musical people that are a bit above our natural musical pay grade. rolleyes.gif

But as nice as that perk is, it is nowhere near the top of the list of why were have and care for these old instruments. One of the topics I love is how the sound of guitars from the golden era evolved and how that effected American acoustic music and informs the very music we love and play today. To me that picture of the old Jumbos is not only a collection of icons but a tonal tapestry that both explains why what was played by who historically and which are nonetheless some of the best tools ever built for making music today.

We clearly share some of these perspectives with a lot of you. Like all geeks, I can overdo it. Please excuse me when I do.

Best,

-Tom

We clearly share some of these perspectives with a lot of you. Like all geeks, I can overdo it. Please excuse me when I do.

Best,

-Tom

Tom, you never overdo it. I've learned a lot from the pictures and videos you post.

You're a great custodian of some wonderful musical instruments.

I feel privileged to have played a few of those very instruments and visited and broken bread with Tom and his wife a few years back, during our travels in Nova Scotia!

I never tire of seeing the collection, Tom!

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred,

I don't remember exactly what we had that year. I think there may be a picture -- I will check.

Best,

-Tom

Archived