Gibson Brands Forums

Long road to a Faded

jerrysimon

Been a long time acoustic (Taylor) player that has more time on his hands and wants to try his hand with an electric. My current Taylor are all pre 2000 models with no cutaways or electrics though I have added under saddle pickups later.

I began looking at an Epiphone LP but found that too heavy so then went on to look at their SG models. I kept my choice to the base models as I like an understated look though tried a very glossy G-400 Pro with the coil split/taps. I was dead set on an Epiphone. I did try an Gibson LP but again was concerned with the weight but even then noticed the difference in playability (at least in my view) of these over the Epiphone equivalents.

So it looks like I was going for an Ephiphone SG model until today when I tried a Gibson Faded sigh...... I loved the wood look and the neck and fretboard just seemed to suit me more than the glossy Epiphone.

At least being a more base model its not big bucks but about twice/two thirds more than the Epiphone equivalent. I am just going to try the Epiphone equivalent Worn model, but I think I may be a first time Gibson owner.

I have looked on line and see there is also a Fusion but not sure about the bridge. Also not sure what the difference is with the Faded T ?

I think I will go new though its seems you can save a little if you can pickuop a good s/h model.

I would avoid the Fusion SG at all costs.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I had planned to having read some pretty poor reviews about it.

I want to have a look at the Brown Faded as the one I tried was the Red/Cherry. Actually it more red wine colored than cherry.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I had planned to having read some pretty poor reviews about it.

I want to have a look at the Brown Faded as the one I tried was the Red/Cherry. Actually it more red wine colored than cherry.

I have a 2016 faded and it is a great guitar. I paid $579 new for it in 2016, on sale. I can’t recommend it enough for an entry to the world of Gibson.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally got there. In the end I went for a SG Faded 2017 T.

I chose the Worn Brown after seeing both this and the Worn Cherry. I did look at the 2016 model but this one appears to be about a lb lighter at 6lbs, maybe the maple neck ?

I also like the slim taper neck of the 2017 model which feels more like my early Taylor guitar one. I have to say the guitar came beautifully set up unlike most of the Epiphones I tried. I think I need to treat/oil the fretboard though as it seems very dry.

Here are a few pics.

24313762618_fa8d274008_b.jpg

The Faded Brown seems slightly lighter and glossy than 2016 model.

38110569386_a02623be7c_b.jpg

Limited inlay on the headstock as per the dots on the neck which I kinda like.

24313762138_9b7ed75699_b.jpg

Archived