Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Pickups

martcol

The current model with no onboard electronics would be the Hummingbird Vintage. If you’re looking for secondhand, the True Vintage model is the earlier iteration of the current Vintage model.

No Hummingbirds came electrified as standard until the Modern Classic range (now called Standard) was introduced in 2006, with the Baggs Element onboard. You can easily distinguish between the electrified Birds and the fully acoustic models as the Standard/Modern Classic has the “flubber” pickguard (clear rubberised plastic with the design printed on the underside) whereas the acoustic models have the hard plastic pickguard with the design pressed and painted into the top of it.

General wisdom is that the models from ‘62-‘68 were very good, likewise from ‘89 to now, since the Bozeman plant has been in action. I own a 1990 which is very good indeed, and in the past have owned a 2005 and 2008 (both Modern Classics) which were also excellent.

There are gems from the intervening years, but I’d absolutely advocate the “try before you buy” approach.

Where are you based? If you’re in the UK, I’d heartily recommend my friend Glenn Sinnock at www.glennsguitars.com, I’ve bought dozens of beautiful guitars from him over the years (including my current Hummingbird) and he’s a great guy to deal with. Arguably the best buying experience in the country, or certainly on a par with, in my experience.

Archived