Gibson Brands Forums

Soundboard Warp at the Bridge

martcol

I am gearing up to get a Hummingbird and have been reading a lot about acoustic guitars including many hour staring longingly at the most expensive models!

I came across a really interesting Luthier's blog as part of my reading/surfing which I enjoyed reading. However, I was a bit freaked out by his comments relating to a repair of an old Martin:

However, after some time things change. Due to constant string tension, humidity and temperature changes this straight-line ideal between neck and soundboard starts to distort. This could happen 1 year or 50 years after manufacture. Over time the bridge area of the soundboard begins to rise up and the area of soundboard at the upper bout begins to sink. Our theoretical straight-line acquires a shallow indentation. The end result is a high playing action.

Is this really a common problem in large acoustics? I would hate to spend £2.5k on a guitar only for the bridge pressure to distort the soundboard.

Not so much in well-built guitars, given you stay within proper care parameters. Room humidity and radical temperature swings are your worst enemy. Watch closely for sudden changes in string height and keep a skilled luthier around.

The 'bird' is a sturdy beast.

It's not, by any means, an immediate problem. With proper care, you can go a lifetime w/o ever having to concern yourself with it. For those of us that prefer vintage instruments, it can be a greater consideration. As with any other musical instrument, reasonable care and occasional maintenance are just part of the equation.

Archived