Gibson Brands Forums

Bucket List.......

Buc McMaster

I will bet you Texas boys are thanking your lucky stars that Sandy Koufax is no longer in the lineup.

You have yourself a great time.

Bet Buc wouldn't mind if the Niekro brothers suited up, though. Nothing like a dirty knuckleballer, if he's on your side! (Former catcher and Brewer announcer Bob Euker used to say that there was just one way to properly catch a knuckleball: get out of its way, let roll to the backstop, then go pick it up. 😅)

I will bet you Texas boys are thanking your lucky stars that Sandy Koufax is no longer in the lineup.

Sandy Koufax was my idol when I was a kid growing up in Pasadena. Had posters of him on the wall & as a lefty, tried to emulate his windup. Went to a Dodger game against the Cubs, I believe in '65 when I would have been fourteen. Koufax was not scheduled to pitch, and virtually never did relief stints.

But to my total disbelief, they brought him in to pitch the eighth and ninth innings. Talk about a kid in hogs heaven! Of course he pitched shutout ball, and the Dodgers won.

Buc, have fun at the game, but I'll be rooting for the Dodgers!

Koufax was a monster in his day. setting records that still stand. But Kershaw is the Dodgers current monster........in addition to a bullpen that was untouchable......until WS Game 2! And I will be properly attired for the fracas with my '65 Cooperstown jersey!

yllUD7Z.jpg

Awesome, man.

I've been rooting for Houston ever since the Dodgers took out my Cubs.

And, I used to live in Lake Charles, and my son lived in Beaumont for quite a while.

They can win this at home and I hope they do !

Sandy Koufax was my idol when I was a kid growing up in Pasadena. Had posters of him on the wall & as a lefty, tried to emulate his windup. Went to a Dodger game against the Cubs, I believe in '65 when I would have been fourteen. Koufax was not scheduled to pitch, and virtually never did relief stints.

But to my total disbelief, they brought him in to pitch the eighth and ninth innings. Talk about a kid in hogs heaven! Of course he pitched shutout ball, and the Dodgers won.

I was all about Whitey Ford. The 1963 World Series between the Yankees and the Dodgers still gives me nightmares

You're right..............no way I could pay $300 for a seat. But when you've got friends that have season tickets and get an invite........hell yes! A $20 Uber ride, a $5 hot dog and I'm good to go!

What a game! Astros-style baseball.........score early and don't let 'em up!

I was all about Whitey Ford. The 1963 World Series between the Yankees and the Dodgers still gives me nightmares

My nightmares go back to the Dodgers '62 pennant playoff with the Giants.

Dodgers with a 4-2 lead going into the 9th, and victory seemed assured. Sadly, it was not to be.

But they made up for it in '63!

The first World Series I really remember was 1955, Dodgers vs Yankees. Listened to it on the old Zenith Transoceanic in my bedroom of our quarters on base in Germany. (I can still remember the smell of those vacuum tubes warming up when you turned it on)

I was a Dodger fan until I pretty much lost interest in baseball (either playing or watching) sometime in high school. That interest was re-kindled (briefly) thanks to an odd coincidence when I played golf a few times in 1966 with a kid named Don Sutton, who had just come off a stunning rookie year in a starting rotation that included Koufax, Drysdale, and Claude Osteen. We didn't talk baseball, or much of anything else. I can't remember who won the golf matches, but neither of us was very good at that point. He was a big, strong guy with a mop of curly hair who could hit it a mile, but not always in the right direction.

Koufax was and still is my baseball idol.

I just got back from SOCAL on vacation and I was in the minority cheering for the Astro's being only 60 miles south of LA, But thats OK with me I am with Murph, Once the Cubs were elminated I started rooting for the Stro's. It is good for Baseball to have new blood in the World Series.

I would drop 300.00 to go see the Cubs in the World series anytime...

Sandy Koufax was simply one of the greatest Left handed pitcher who ever played the game, and so is Kershaw for sure.

Having been born in Brooklyn, and seen the Bums play in Ebbets Field when young - I have always been a Dodgers fan.

Sadly, they ceased being 'The Dodgers' on my tenth birthday,.

That was the day Brooklyn Lawyer/Owner Walter O'Malley got approval to move them to LA. Part of a package deal which hinged on the Giants moving from NYC to SF.

Having been born in Brooklyn, and seen the Bums play in Ebbets Field when young - I have always been a Dodgers fan.

Sadly, they ceased being 'The Dodgers' on my tenth birthday,.

That was the day Brooklyn Lawyer/Owner Walter O'Malley got approval to move them to LA. Part of a package deal which hinged on the Giants moving from NYC to SF.

That would be " ...da bums..." or "dem bums", I believe. I became a Brooklyn fan when we moved to Germany in 1953. All our household good were shipped out of Brooklyn, and all the crates were marked "Brooklyn, NY." We spent a week there waiting to ship out. I still have an old footlocker with Brooklyn, NY stenciled on it. The left out the space and the comma, so the stencil actually said "BROOKLYNNY."

It just seemed wrong when they moved to LA, and the Giants moved to SF.

Archived