Gibson Brands Forums

How to sound like your heroes

surfpup

I've watched this video a number of times in the past. I like the simplicity that Joe employees to get his sounds. Not through a bunch of pedals (now that is, he did use a some back in the day) but through the volume and tone knobs on the guitar.

I've watched this video a number of times in the past. I like the simplicity that Joe employees to get his sounds. Not through a bunch of pedals (now that is, he did use a some back in the day) but through the volume and tone knobs on the guitar.

Saw Joe live a few years ago, with 3rd or 4th row seats. A couple of things impressed me - first off, there is absolutely NO BS during songs, he just goes from one to the next (except for a band intro) and second, he is ALWAYS playing with his volume and tone knobs. And as previously noted, he has good gear and he uses it. Anytime your S/O, wife, girlfriend (or all of the above LOL) says you have too much gear, have them watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-225D-kMpAn

Saw Joe live a few years ago, with 3rd or 4th row seats. A couple of things impressed me - first off, there is absolutely NO BS during songs, he just goes from one to the next (except for a band intro) and second, he is ALWAYS playing with his volume and tone knobs. And as previously noted, he has good gear and he uses it. Anytime your S/O, wife, girlfriend (or all of the above LOL) says you have too much gear, have them watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-225D-kMpAn

Saw Joe live a few years ago, with 3rd or 4th row seats. A couple of things impressed me - first off, there is absolutely NO BS during songs, he just goes from one to the next (except for a band intro) and second, he is ALWAYS playing with his volume and tone knobs. And as previously noted, he has good gear and he uses it. Anytime your S/O, wife, girlfriend (or all of the above LOL) says you have too much gear, have them watch this: Edit: tried to load the YT video of Joe Bonamassa, welcome to Nerdville but keep getting an error message.

I think I've seen that one a few times. At one point he goes something like "If you really want to sound like Clapton..." and he loses his train of thought and completely forgets to say what he's been wanting to say. Had me hanging on the edge of my seat and then I was disappointed when he forgot to follow through with the thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting...

I thought I had seen that clip a couple of times before (and wasn't going to watch it again) but the version posted here a while back must have been edited down to around one-third the length of this one - if not even shorter. There was, therefore and to state the bleeding obvious, much more info in this one here than I had heard before.

Thanks for posting this more comprehensive version, Surf.

I think I've seen that one a few times. At one point he goes something like "If you really want to sound like Clapton..." and he loses his train of thought and completely forgets to say what he's been wanting to say. Had me hanging on the edge of my seat and then I was disappointed when he forgot to follow through with the thought.

BBP; perhaps you, also, saw the shorter version and the bit you were waiting for was answered in this one from roughly the 21:00 minute mark?......eusa_think.gif......

Pip.

yea been a JB fan for some years now the real deal.

Dennis is right about his shows.. No BS.. if the start time is 8:00 at 7:59, he's walking out ready to go. During the shows, it's one song after the next, the guy is a beast, he never takes his foot of the gas... his band is ...for lack of any better words... incredible.

yea been a JB fan for some years now the real deal.

Dennis is right about his shows.. No BS.. if the start time is 8:00 at 7:59, he's walking out ready to go. During the shows, it's one song after the next, the guy is a beast, he never takes his foot of the gas... his band is ...for lack of any better words... incredible.

This is all correct. That is exactly what he did when I saw him. "never takes his foot off the gas" is a perfect description. And it's the gas pedal of a V8 engine!. I will see him live every time he comes to town.

JB's a great guitarist, no doubt. Anyone who has learned some things from the late, great Danny Gatton has some excellent things to add to their repertoire. He was playing his guitar with Danny since he was a little kid apparently. I saw a video on JB when he was like a young teen or whatever ripping it up on stage with Danny watching in the background. And JB's gear is something definitely to covet msp_biggrin.gif

Archived