Gibson Brands Forums

String question for southern jumbo owners

generaldreedle

That’s the thing about strings... it’s fun to experiment, and even when you find strings you like, mix it up.

Masterbilt 80/20 Lights, Masterbilt PB Lights, DR Rare PB lights, Daddario EJ16s, Martin SP Acoustic lights, DR Sunbeam Mediums...

And for a different flavor... try these two sets also: Martin Retro Lights and Daddario Nickel Bronze. With these sets you may not like the sound in the first few days, but they warm up great after that. They also last forever...

So yeah, enjoy the experimenting. My J50 has seen all of these strings. Most often she wears Martin Acoustic SP Lights....the PB ones.

After reading the OP? I was about to respond - but saw that ThemiS stole my thunder.

The destination should not preclude making the journey. Shortcuts are for sissies. I want to hear the differences for myself - From My Guitar To My Ears.

I just keep a log in the junk box in the case so when I hit on a string that is outstanding - I don't forget about it.

Like taking a picture of the Grand Canyon on your way to visit Bozeman.

G'Luck

I like the warmth and sustain you get from DR Sunbeams on my SJ. I use 12/54's, which used to be called mediums but which they now call lights, in line with the designation of other string makers.

Round core gives flexibility.

All around great strings for my Gibson flat tops, but really great on the SJ.

If the guitar sounds wonderful I would think I would stick with whatever the heck it is strung with.

I have no string loyalty and so move around. As a starting point, I am not much for 11s. I tend to favor Newtone nickel and PB. I also use Magnan traditional lights. Both of these are wound on a round core which given the age of my guitars is as much a matter of survival as sound. But I also really like the D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings. They are pricey but my Epiphone flattop and Gibson-made Capital archtop really jump with these strings. On my guitars with no neck reinforcement (other than the Capital) I go with DR Sunbeam Custom Lights but switch out the B and high E for a heavier gauge. Somebody recently gave me a set of Cleartone Hyrbrids to try out. I have not yet strung them up so the jury is still out.

On my Southern Jumbo which I gig on a regular basis I kept using Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor bronze for the longest time, 12-53's. I've also used Martin Marquis Phosphor Bronze, 12-54's, which I like also on the J15 (seem to suit that guitar really well). However of recent I've switched to Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb's 12-53. They sound great and last me much longer.

Agree though, it's fun to try different strings. Many to chose from.

Archived