Gibson Brands Forums

Sold my 1971 SG Standard

daveinspain

Yep it’s gone... :( Had it in my collection for 10 years, barely ever played it. Was all original, sounded amazing, best action I ever felt on a guitar, drop dead gorgeous. I just couldn’t get accustomed to the scale. The neck was super thin and with the access the double cutaway gives you to the high notes made it seem like the neck was longer than normal. The frets were super low, like a fretless wonder which made it very fast and smooth playing but just couldn’t get used to it though. So rather than it taking up space and collecting dust I sold it. Upside is I made $1000 bucks on the sale from what I paid for it...

Gone but not forgotten...

NGwE7SD.jpg

What scale are you used to Dave?

As for remorse. I've never experienced it. Never looked back.

I've never had sellers remorse getting rid of a Fender, but I've sold a Les Paul and a LP Special Double cut I really miss. Especially the Double cut.

What scale are you used to Dave?

As for remorse. I've never experienced it. Never looked back.

I think it actually had a normal scale but it just seemed way different... I’m more a Les Paul kinda guy... I know I’ll never get an nicer SG than the one i just sold so ill never buy another one.

I think it actually had a normal scale but it just seemed way different... I’m more a Les Paul kinda guy... I know I’ll never get an nicer SG than the one i just sold so ill never buy another one.

It took me quite a while to get used to 24.75 scale, so I avoided Gibsons until quite recently.

Your SG does seem really nice. I've always loved thier looks.

Wow. That thing is sweet. Nice you make some cash on it, but it is going to probably continue to climb in value.

I’m sure that it will continue to go up in value but as with anything else it’s worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. Here in Spain the guitar market is not as fluid as in the states and getting the money I did for it I was very lucky. In 20 years might be worth $10,000. I might not even be around to enjoy the benefits though at that point... [confused]

In my opinion SGs "hang" differently from other Gibsons, I would put Firebirds in that category but I still prefer them over SGs.

Additionally some of those SGs from that era have a narrower nut width which may pose a challenge to some (like me).

What would Dickey Betts do?

He would be sitting on the bridge exactly like...I do!

At the volumes he comes from, if he ain't sitting on those strings right there he will be having some trouble!

rct

Sometimes you have to let them go. When you bought it you probably had a long yearning for an SG, and then as you say you just didn't bond with it and feel comfortable. It is a beautiful guitar in great condition for it's age, and hope the purchaser enjoys it. But I agree, to keep them in a closet and not play them is sort of pointless.

I've never under stood people saying they can't get used to the scale of their guitar. I have no problem going from my Martin, to my Gibson's and then to my Fender's.

Me neither... I don't even notice. Same with fat vs skinny necks... which I do notice... but it doesn't affect my playing much. Maybe I'm just not a technical enough player (ie not good enough) for it to matter, because I know guys who have to have a certain neck profile and fret type to be happy.

The only things I absolutely deplore are classical guitar necks or those flat radius, super slim shred necks on some Ibanez type guitars.

I've never under stood people saying they can't get used to the scale of their guitar. I have no problem going from my Martin, to my Gibson's and then to my Fender's. And I have little girly hands. The only guitar I ever had a problem with and it was not my guitar, a friend let me borrow it was, a Ric 360. The small one John Lennon used. It was just too small.

Well you may be lucky? Maybe more talented? Or maybe just play a different way?

I change neck position quickly and my muscle memory can acurately go from 4th fret to 13th fret, but change the scale and I need to spend time re-learning the difference. Especially important before a gig.

My spanish guitar has a 26" scale and a nut width of 2". After using that, I cant just pick up a Gibson and expect accuracy! [crying]

Archived