Gibson Brands Forums

Only two left...

jaxson50

As near as I can determine Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis are the last two Rock ‘n Roll Founders still with us. The first generation of rock pioneers, those who wrote and performed the songs that shaped and launched the next generation are now approaching the end of their ride.So I post this to salute them, to pay respect to them and those who left us too early, and those who leave us everyday,The producers and sound engineers and the writers.Thank you all for what you did for music.

Thanks for the post Jaxson. As a guy born in '46 I lived through the transition from the Perry Como's and Nat King Cole's of the time to the Chuck Berry's, Elvis Presley's and Little Richard's. Pioneers, one and all, and I'm not sure that the generations that came behind can truly appreciate what was happening in the music world. And let's not forget Sister Rosetta Tharpe, who was a big influence on the artists of the time.

Thanks for the post Jaxson. As a guy born in '46 I lived through the transition from the Perry Como's and Nat King Cole's of the time to the Chuck Berry's, Elvis Presley's and Little Richard's. Pioneers, one and all, and I'm not sure that the generations that came behind can truly appreciate what was happening in the music world. And let's not forget Sister Rosetta Tharpe, who was a big influence on the artists of the time.

Its been a hell of a ride!

I feel lucky to have lived through some of the best music we are ever likely to hear..

Excellent thread. I think the best rock n roller this country ever produced was Buddy Holley, I hear his music everywhere.

Can you just imagine what music would look like if one Charles Hardin Holley (aka Buddy Holly) had lived the past five or so decades?

Then again...?????

Can you just imagine what music would look like if one Charles Hardin Holley (aka Buddy Holly) had lived the past five or so decades?

Then again...?????

He sure accomplished a lot in a short time. I like to think he would not have gone down the road a lot of musicians went down, the drug and alcohol abuse. I noticed you spelled his name correctly, I wondered if anyone would catch that I didn't [smile]

If there are any more of the 1950's rock pioneers left, I can't think of them.

Oh wait, Neil Sedaka is still with us. Besides his on recordings he wrote for a number of other early rockers and is still writing songs and possibly performing.

Any others?

Notes

Paul Anka? (bit of trivia - he wrote the theme song for Johnny Carson's late night show)

IMHO, Paul Anka was one of the early second generation of Rock, he was born in 1941, Dion was 1939. Neil Sedaka, also born in 39’ was, I think also in the second gen, they were all influential, but the came out of the “Doo Whoop” era, The Everly Brothers were very much in the pioneer class, their first recording was in 56’, they were IMO the first generation “Country Rock” in the vain of the Byrds, of course they also influenced the Beatles with their vocal arrangements.Don Everly is still with us.

...I was a little more surprised when Tom Petty left us, because of age. Ya' never know.

Was surprised as well until I read in his final interview where he said he'd been "smoking since I was 17, I don't even pretend to quit anmore and I'm now down to about a pack a day". Obviously paraphrasing, but the point is smoking is gonna kill you sooner than you should "go". My Dr. told me some years ago that the single most important thing I ever did for my overall health was to quit smoking (I quit about 35 years ago, and I'll be 71 next month.) Stepping off of soapbox now...

IMHO, Paul Anka was one of the early second generation of Rock, he was born in 1941, Dion was 1939. <...>

Dion was on the same tour as Buddy Holly, but turned down a seat on the doomed plane because the ticket was $32 which was the amount his parents were paying per month for his apartment. Dion figured if he couldn't pay his own rent, he didn't have the right to spend that much on the plane ticket.

I think Jerry Lee Lewis is still with us.

Brenda Lee too - not a pioneer but a child star way back then.

Duane Eddy, rock's first Guitar God and the first rock guitarist to have a signature model is still alive.

Huey "Piano" Smith is still here (Johnny Rivers covered at least one of his hits "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu - and Dr.John covered a few too).

Any more?

Notes

1510603220[/url]' post='1892267']

Dion was on the same tour as Buddy Holly, but turned down a seat on the doomed plane because the ticket was $32 which was the amount his parents were paying per month for his apartment. Dion figured if he couldn't pay his own rent, he didn't have the right to spend that much on the plane ticket.

I think Jerry Lee Lewis is still with us.

Brenda Lee too - not a pioneer but a child star way back then.

Duane Eddy, rock's first Guitar God and the first rock guitarist to have a signature model is still alive.

Huey "Piano" Smith is still here (Johnny Rivers covered at least one of his hits "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu - and Dr.John covered a few too).

Any more?

Notes

Duane Eddy has no shows scheduled, which may be a sign he is ailing. I hope not..https://www.facebook.com/pg/duaneeddymusic/events/?ref=page_internal

Archived