Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior 2018

Rabs

I don't "get it" Rabs..... Too MUCH money for a not accurate logo on a LP Jr...... Back in 2004 I bought a LP jr. from Musicians Friend. $550 delivered. I still own and like it a lot. Especially after I bone-nutted it. Out of the box, the g string would pop out of the slot when bending.

My guitar has black back and sides. It looks like this one does also. I am always suspect of painted guitars. IF it is solid mahogany....why not show that PLANK of wood? I suspect that it is made of laminate mahogany, be it lateral or horizontal laminate.

NOT a fan of the script logo on this guitar. Gimmicky!! Not a fan of the price. This is one reason that Gibson is having problems. The OTHER is Robo tuners....YUK!

I don't "get it" Rabs..... Too MUCH money for a not accurate logo on a LP Jr......

Don't ask me.. Who knows who comes up with these silly ideas? [rolleyes]

If it were me id have made some Double Cut Specials.. nothing fancy, no silly headstock weirdness.. Just a nice slab body double cut Gibson in two or three colours... and not a stupid price.... I know loads of people who always talk about wanting that model and they don't make enough of them..

I actually have one myself (a faded version), they are awesome guitars.. What they should do is make two versions.. One with the usual slim neck and one with a fat neck.. Maybe if they wanted more options do a P90 and Humbucker version..... People would eat those up.

Don't ask me.. Who knows who comes up with these silly ideas? [rolleyes]

If it were me id have made some Double Cut Specials.. nothing fancy, no silly headstock weirdness.. Just a nice slab body double cut Gibson in two or three colours... I know loads of people who always talk about wanting that model and they don't make enough of them..

I actually have one myself, they are awesome guitars.. What they should do is make two versions.. One with the usual slim neck and one with a fat neck.. Maybe if they wanted more options do a P90 and Humbucker version..... People would eat those up.

That's what I want. A double cut with P90s and a fat neck (and no lame 100 logo).

$1,300 for a Jr with a different logo.. this aughta fly off the shelves

Yeah that the silly thing... When they last did the DC Special Faded (2008 I think) I actually bought one.. It was £650 brand new and at that price one of the best guitars you could probably buy... I mean theres no fancy maple top, which is less work than say making a Studio and they want more for a Junior which was meant to be a budget guitar?.... Just for a silly logo I doubt many people would even want?

I mean.. £650 for this... So beautiful.. I regret selling it even though I have a slightly older one I did keep. I think if I put this on auction now it would do well.

cFlG8gA.jpg

8LRqeB4.jpg

xgv5wK5.jpg

IDj0y3c.jpg

My05StK.jpg

G9Vk6zD.jpg?1

mCp3HP6.jpg

Gibson.... PLEASE PLEASE do yourself a favour.. Make some more of these.. Just keep them basic and pure like the one above and keep the price down (like $800/$900).. Do them in Cherry Red, TV Yellow and Black (maybe white)..

Some more Night or Blueshawks would go down well I think too..

Well it looks like Sweetwater has some double cuts for ya'll as well. Doesn't look like the prices are per most of our suggestions (shocker i know) but they do exist and in TV yellow no less. They are sporting an interesting "only a Gibson is good enough" logo on the back of the head stock.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPSDH18TVNH

Also looks like they have a SG junior as well. In one of the pictures the headstock is sporting the current gibson logo but in the rest it has the older script logo. Wonder which it really is?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGJRH18VENH

I kinda like em'. Hopefully there will be a firebird 1 following to round out the single pup offerings.

Well it looks like Sweetwater has some double cuts for ya'll as well. Doesn't look like the prices are per most of our suggestions (shocker i know) but they do exist and in TV yellow no less. They are sporting an interesting "only a Gibson is good enough" logo on the back of the head stock.

[thumbdn]

That looks SOOOO wrong.. The position where the fretboard and body meet is totally wrong....

Check an actual 1960 DC

nRTastF.jpg

Then the DC I had which was a Faded Special

cFlG8gA.jpg

Now this new one [unsure]

lsc8puI.jpg

VERY odd???

I think the 50s double cut specials had the neck pickup closer to the fretboard. Check google images for like a 59 maybe? I’m not an expert on that

Yes ive had a look and you are right.. But its not the pickup position that bothers me.. Its the shape of the inner horn area where the curve meets the fretboard and goes up to the third fret up... On the shape im on about its the end fret...

this is what I found for a 59

Q9wVy0Y.jpg

[thumbdn]

That looks SOOOO wrong.. The position where the fretboard and body meet is totally wrong....

Check an actual 1960 DC

nRTastF.jpg

Then the DC I had which was a Faded Special

cFlG8gA.jpg

Now this new one [unsure]

lsc8puI.jpg

VERY odd???

That's not a traditional double cut jr body, they are using up some other failed model.

rct

I don't "get it" Rabs..... Too MUCH money for a not accurate logo on a LP Jr...... Back in 2004 I bought a LP jr. from Musicians Friend. $550 delivered. I still own and like it a lot. Especially after I bone-nutted it. Out of the box, the g string would pop out of the slot when bending.

My guitar has black back and sides. It looks like this one does also. I am always suspect of painted guitars. IF it is solid mahogany....why not show that PLANK of wood? I suspect that it is made of laminate mahogany, be it lateral or horizontal laminate.

NOT a fan of the script logo on this guitar. Gimmicky!! Not a fan of the price. This is one reason that Gibson is having problems. The OTHER is Robo tuners....YUK!

If you click on the Sweetwater link you can see that it does not have a black painted back, and that it is not laminated but a solid slab of mahogany. But it's still pretty pricey for a single pickup P-90 guitar which is pretty much a one trick pony.

That's not a traditional double cut jr body, they are using up some other failed model.

rct

Yup.. Its the same design as the 2015 ones... WHY??

Theres an argument I guess that the new design means they can move the pickup nearer the neck and make the joint stronger.. But man I really don't like the way they look. Older style Double cuts with snapped necks is not something I think I have ever seen? My one from 2005 is still going strong..?

Archived