Gibson Brands Forums

This talk about old strings

E-minor7

As some may know, I'm not too keen on new strings. Broken in steel yes, , , and not seldom old ones do the trick.

On a good guitar older strings seem to merge with the box and at some point they generate something sublime together.

This was discovered after gettin' into scalloped and light-braced acoustics only 7-8 years ago - especially the (vintage) Gibsons.

Instead of goin' dead, they tend to find a life of their own, which slowly but surely speaks the truth about the guitar.

You really find out 'who' and what they are - and what you 2 can create as a deeper double-unit.

A to me unknown Mark O'Connor seems to more than agree.

Here is a moving example from this stunning player, who just reunited with his beloved oldie.

Definitely worth a visit in the cans.

1945 in 2017 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkbRAkpYclY

And here's the link to the Tube so you can read the story. Enjoy -

Funny you bring this up, as I was just realizing my three old acoustics are wearing strings that are bordering on 6 mos. old. I'll be leaving them as is until I hear a noteworthy drop off. It might have to do with the fact that I've moved them all up to 13's, tuned D to D. All flat picked pretty much every day. It just got cold enough here in upstate NY to fire up the wood heat, so that should change the playing field. Usually, it's for the better, but it means the guitars have to stay put in the cool side of the house for a few months.

It is a common belief among my friends who own old guitars to prefer old strings. Also uncoated strings. We pretty well feel that way too. Some people have sweat that kill strings -- makes them go really dead. If you don't have that problem, strings sound really good on really good guitars for a good long time. Strings seem to sound best after at least one session IMO.

Best,

-Tom

As some may know, I'm not too keen on new strings. Broken in steel yes, , , and not seldom old ones do the trick.

On a good guitar older strings seem to merge with the box and at some point they generate something sublime together.

This was discovered after gettin' into scalloped and light-braced acoustics only 7-8 years ago - especially the (vintage) Gibsons.

Instead of goin' dead, they tend to find a life of their own, which slowly but surely speaks the truth about the guitar.

You really find out 'who' and what they are - and what you 2 can create as a deeper double-unit.

A to me unknown Mark O'Connor seems to more than agree.

Here is a moving example from this stunning player, who just reunited with his beloved oldie.

Definitely worth a visit in the cans.

1945 in 2017 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkbRAkpYclY

And here's the link to the Tube so you can read the story. Enjoy -

That guitar would probably sound great with rubber bands on it. It's pretty stunning.

I have Sunbeams that are at least two years old on my SJ, and probably four years old on my L-OO. They still sound pretty good, if lacking a bit of clarity and sustain, but I've noticed that they're harder to tune to pitch. Electronic tuners seem to get swamped with overtones from old strings, and struggle to find the true pitch.

I've noticed that they're harder to tune to pitch. Electronic tuners seem to get swamped with overtones from old strings, and struggle to find the true pitch.

That's definitely true. Over the past couple years I've been changing strings less often, but after 8 or 9 months it starts to bother me that I can't quite get them in tune. I update a spreadsheet each time I change strings since I would otherwise completely forget how old they are. Of the three acoustics I play regularly, one had a string change in January, another in March and the third was changed in June.

I have the pleasure of owning a 60's Hoboken era Guild F20, which has a rather bright jangly tone, a challenge for finding strings that calm down quickly. This time around the string change schedule carousel ( I spread sheet string changes too ), I took the 6+ month old Thomastik-Infelds off my Martin and put them on the Guild. To my delight they are the perfect match, with sharp but not overly bright articulation.

They may be twenty dollar strings but if they last a couple years I'm good.

I have the pleasure of owning a 60's Hoboken era Guild F20, which has a rather bright jangly tone, a challenge for finding strings that calm down quickly. This time around the string change schedule carousel ( I spread sheet string changes too ), I took the 6+ month old Thomastik-Infelds off my Martin and put them on the Guild. To my delight they are the perfect match, with sharp but not overly bright articulation.

They may be twenty dollar strings but if they last a couple years I'm good.

Yes, interesting - there are so many possibilities and variations to explore.

Of course I'm not out to bash the pleasure of a new set of strings, but the fresh sound can be overwhelming and actually inhibit a lot of nuances in a guitar.

Have to say my 2012 H-birds are surprisingly good with old steel. Also though the bass looses crisp timbre and general power.

Spent a lot of time chasing the original sonic flavor they had when I got them - back then I kept delaying the first exchange.

And now 12 months after putting Gibson Masterbuilts 80/20 on them again, it's as if we/they're close.

No doubt McMaster's 2 45's sound incredible, but I would have preferred to hear them with somewhat faded wires.

Not least because Buc knows something about what right-hand-feel and fingertips do for tone.

At no additional cost to my fellow old string lovers, I would be glad to break-in new strings and mail back to you in a few months. Thom-I's only please.

An enterprising soul, there. Perhaps you could branch out and also offer a guitar "breaking in" service? Adirondack tops, extra.

Sheesh, that guitar sounds fantastic. Might have something to do with the fingers as well lol.

Yes, it does - and he plays it like a sticking his hand into a velvet glove.

But thinking about it, listening and watching again, wouldn't a 1945 have snow-flake inlays. . (no, I'm wrong)

I love the sound of old strings as well. I normally change mine twice a year.

I recently changed strings on my Hummingbird TV and put on D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings. I've found these to feel a lot like worn strings when I put them on. The color is a little different, the strings almost look like electric strings, but the sound and feel is great.

Archived