Gibson Brands Forums

A question for buffalo Springfield fans

blindboygrunt

I know some of you are fans

Mr soul just played here on early morning radio I was lying in bed listening on the earbuds and while of course I’ve heard the song mr soul many times before , I couldn’t stop hearing in the right ear a constant ‘tapping’ ‘thudding’ all the way through the song

Like someone’s foot on the floor picked up by the mics , but it’s too fast and constant for that.

Is it from the bass player ?

Anyone know what it is ?

Sorry. Nothing to do with gibsons

Didn’t know who else to ask

That's a lot to listen to, just laying in bed.

Maybe it does have something to do with Gibsons, what with a stage full of electrics rocking out (and the Fender bass seems to be separate from the “clack” sound I’m hearing). Richie Furay looks like he’s following the bass player’s line with an ES-335-12 string; that could be giving that guitar-with-low-action noise from his pickups that is on the recording.

Are we sure it isn't the clack-track. A metronome of some sort.

Hmmm, , , must look into this. .

Wouldn’t the click track normally be removed in the studio? This clicking followed the bass line that is basically a knock off of the Stones’ famous hook in Satisfaction (except in minor mode), & showed up on the Mr Seoul versions I saw on the ‘tube.

The Fender bass that’s being played has a warmer sound; my guess- I think it’s more proximity interaction of the strings with a hot pick up.

This clicking followed the bass line that is basically a knock off of the Stones' famous hook in Satisfaction (except in minor mode),

Keith Richards says he woke up with this theme in his head. Fair enough and so far so good.

As mentioned on these pages before, the fact is it was used in Can I Get a Witness by Holland-Dozier-Holland from 2 years earlier, 1963.

And that Joe Zawinul placed his bet in between Stones and Springfield with his fantabulous Mercy Mercy Mercy from 1966.

Cannonball Adderley Quintet live ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4rXEKtC8iY

Basically it belongs in the soul-churches and must be classified in the category Kool licks of truth - no a bad place to be.

There's a lot going on in that recording. Classic, hard-driving rock from the period. It's not easy to sort out all the tacks. I'll listen to it again later, both with headphones and on the good sound system.

For those wanting the edited bullet tour of the Buffalo Springfield style, I'd recommend "Retrospective".

There are two recorded versions of that song. I still have my copy of the "Bluebird" 45 rpm with "Mr. Soul" as the B side. It is quite a bit rawer sounding than the version that appeared on the second LP. I like the single version better.

I have never noticed anything odd about the LP version though. But anything is possible. This song has been remastered probably a hundred times. It might se either been an error in the process or simply something that was never noticeable on the analog versions. I never heard McCartney's bass on a Beatles record until the CDs starting coming out. Who knew there was a piano on the Stone's "Satisfaction." If you listen to the Burrito Bros. "Christine" you can hear Gram Parsons clearing his throat in the middle of the vocal. I guess the producer figured it was close enough for Rock & Roll.

There are two recorded versions of that song. I still have my copy of the "Bluebird" 45 rpm with "Mr. Soul" as the B side. It is quite a bit rawer sounding than the version that appeared on the second LP. I like the single version better.

Yes, the single version of Mr. Soul is the good stuff - the album version got a little watered down.

I was quite a fan of Buffalo Springfield back in the day, and of the Stones very early work. Unfortunately, the Stones lost me with songs like Satisfaction - hated the way it droned on, and to this day, I still have to plug my ears if it's playing somewhere.

Mr. Soul is sooooo much better than Satisfaction, imho.

Keith Richards says he woke up with this theme in his head. Fair enough and so far so good.

As mentioned on these pages before, the fact is it was used in Can I Get a Witness by Holland-Dozier-Holland from 2 years earlier, 1963.

And that Joe Zawinul placed his bet in between Stones and Springfield with his fantabulous Mercy Mercy Mercy from 1966.

Cannonball Adderley Quintet live ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4rXEKtC8iY

Basically it belongs in the soul-churches and must be classified in the category Kool licks of truth - no a bad place to be.

Quite a crowd on the Cannonball A. vid- they're so worked up, he can barely introduce the number. Do you detect any similarities to The Riff in question? 'Must admit I'm not hearing it, but it is a cool treat.

Might be pick-click on the fretboard... like this one:

https://youtu.be/UDelj2whNRs

Now, that's clicking. Had to google those very sixties lyrics. Good job on the recall; who said "if you can remember it, you weren't there" ? ; )

Yes, the single version of Mr. Soul is the good stuff - the album version got a little watered down.

I was quite a fan of Buffalo Springfield back in the day, and of the Stones very early work. Unfortunately, the Stones lost me with songs like Satisfaction - hated the way it droned on, and to this day, I still have to plug my ears if it's playing somewhere.

Mr. Soul is sooooo much better than Satisfaction, imho.

I was never a big Buffalo Springfield fan but I did see them at the Westchester County Center in 1967. Mr. Soul though is about the only Neil Young song I really liked. It is pure Rock & Roll. I have always been a Steve Stills fan though. A great guitar player and one of the best rock singers ever. Saw him with Manassas and Super Session (it took guts to get up on a stage with Mike Bloomfield). And I love the Stones. My favorite early Stones song for some reason is "Have You Seen Your Mother." Jones' Firebird is amazing on that song. About the rudest sound I had heard other than maybe Jeff Beck's guitar on "Ain't Superstitious."

I was never a big Buffalo Springfield fan but I did see them at the Westchester County Center in 1967. Mr. Soul though is about the only Neil Young song I really liked. It is pure Rock & Roll. I have always been a Steve Stills fan though. A great guitar player and one of the best rock singers ever. Saw him with Manassas and Super Session (it took guts to get up on a stage with Mike Bloomfield)."

Oh my, don't get me started on Michael Bloomfield, absolutely one of my all-time favorite players.

On one of his good days, what came through his hands & guitar became some of the sweetest music I've ever heard.

Do you detect any similarities to The Riff in question? 'Must admit I'm not hearing it, but it is a cool treat.

Listen again - same dna. Same notes stepping back'n'forth.

This is primal stuff. Therefore it works, , , therefore it wanders. .

Listen again - same dna. Same notes stepping back'n'forth.

This is primal stuff. Therefore it works, , , therefore it wanders. .

Ok, got it; the beat is so cool and easy, didn't hear it, the piano, + such a different tempo (but it's noticeable in the beginning, around the 30 sec mark)- the crescendo was throwing me way off the trail. Thx

Oh my, don't get me started on Michael Bloomfield, absolutely one of my all-time favorite players.

On one of his good days, what came through his hands & guitar became some of the sweetest music I've ever heard.

I bought a Tele because that was what Bloomfield had in the photo on the back of the first Butterfield LP. The most chromatic blues player ever. My favorite recording is one I have of the full Butterfield and Dylan electric sets at Newport in '65. That Bloomfield Tele actually showed up. Dan Erlewine ended up with it for restoration.

Absolute relevant ^ was is good, , , and how was Stephen's voice. .

Not too bad considering his age. He did not miss the opportunity to slam Trump. They (he was playing with Judy Collins) were getting ready to do Suzanne by Cohen..Stephan says " Hell yes we have to do a Leonard Cohen song, in my opinion he was the smartest guy on the planet as he died the morning of the election".

It sounds to me like the type of time-keeping I sometimes do with my thumb or fingers on a table top during songs with a really hard-driving rhythm, like Mr. Soul. It comes and goes in the recording. Sometimes it sounds like a heavily compressed double-time bass line, other times it's a bit more percussive. Not sure what it is.

I don't know how many re-mixes and re-masters of the original tapes have been done. I listened to an old digital re-mix from the 1990's, plus an MP3 version derived from the same mix. Also discovered that what I listened with made quite a difference. My default "hearing aids" are Sennheiser PXC 450's with the noise cancelling turned off. They're pretty good, but maybe not as impressive as sitting in front of a pair of A-7's with the amps turned up, which is what I used to do when setting up for live concerts in larger venues. That one can lead to long-term hearing loss.

Haven't yet played it on the home theater system with the big sub-woofer and the other goodies. I sort of have to wait until my wife leaves the house before I can do that.

In any case, that one is a hard driver, and one of my favorite Buffalo Springfield tracks. If it don't make you say "got ants in my pants, and I gotta dance", you got no soul. That one could go on indefinitely in a live jam, like one of those endless Dead things, until everyone melted down into a pool of sweat.

Makes "Satisfaction" sound a bit limp-wristed.

Archived