Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing PCB in my 2017 Standard and 2017 Tribute

MichaelT

Some of you may remember the PCB problem I had in my 2017 Les Paul Standard earlier this year. Everything's fine right now but I'm considering pulling that out, replacing the pots and wiring it, and my 2017 Tribute with the P90's with 50's style wiring. So, I have some questions for some of you who are far more knowledgeable about this than I am. I'll probably have a professional actually perform the work.

1. What volume and tone pots should I use?

2. What capacitor should I use?

3. Will I be able to use my existing pickups in each guitar? I'm very happy with the sound and tone of the pickups through my current amp. The current pickups have the Quick Connect connector to the PCB.

And, the big question is: How easy is it to go back if I absolutely don't like the sound after the change? Probably easy if I change the pickups out, right?

Thanks!

Some of you may remember the PCB problem I had in my 2017 Les Paul Standard earlier this year. Everything's fine right now but I'm considering pulling that out, replacing the pots and wiring it, and my 2017 Tribute with the P90's with 50's style wiring. So, I have some questions for some of you who are far more knowledgeable about this than I am. I'll probably have a professional actually perform the work.

3. Will I be able to use my existing pickups in each guitar? I'm very happy with the sound and tone of the pickups through my current amp. The current pickups have the Quick Connect connector to the PCB.

And, the big question is: How easy is it to go back if I absolutely don't like the sound after the change? Probably easy if I change the pickups out, right?

Thanks!

http://archive.gibson.com/Files/schematics/lespaul2.gif

Here are the schematics that you probably want to abide by... They indicate that all pots are 500k - would imagine audio tapered. There is some note about using 300k's instead, but I would just go with the 500k... If you want to realize the original guitar's circuit on the PCB, measure the resistance of these pots and buy the "popcorn" part pot for this replacement. The capacitors are 0.02uF (20nF if you must...). Your pickups are simply coils, so no need to replace these unless you do not like them. The quick-connect stuff is only a terminal attached to the bare wire essentially, so you may either find the mating quick connect or just cut this off and save the connector if you want to reattach it later. Just leave enough wire on the end of the detached connector to simply reattach it cleanly - with shrink wrap or something "professional" looking if need be. By cutting this off, you have the bare wire of the pickup to work with and easily attach to the electronics (i.e. pots, caps, etc.). Determine which wires are what coming out the pickup and you can wire these up per the schematic.

If you want to go back, just gut what electronics exist aside form the toggle switch and wires that lead off of it that go through body - no need to remove this as you will use this for the old and new configuration. To elaborate on gutting, you remove the PCB and pickups. Because you have quick-connect, as suggested, either you build the mate to this with flying leads to attach to other electronic components, or you cut it off. Going back on this is not difficult it you re-solder them back after the cut, but this is what you have to do if this route is planned.

I have gutted and rewired several guitars in my day. As well, I am electrical engineer and have very good soldering skills and knowledge of the components in an electric guitar. Nothing here is permanent, but it takes some skill to perform electrical modifications and pretty decent iron and solder to do this cleanly and right. If you were near me, I'd do this for you easily.

Thanks!

I just did this on my '17 tribute T. Not exactly the same because I swapped out the pickups. I think it would be easy to re-use the originals, but while you're at it there are so many other great pups out there, I'd swap 'em. for that guitar they are going to be 4 wire pups. You would have to identify the double coil hot wire and the ground and just use those two (unless you want to coil split, then you'll be using all of them anyway). The pots should be 500k audio taper. Caps are .022 x 2 or some people use .022 for the bridge and .015 for the neck. going back to the PCB would not be impossible but harder once you cut off the PCB connector. I doubt you'll want to go back though. I used the Emerson Custom pre-wired kit on one of my guitars. You still gave to do some soldering but it's an easy job either way.

Archived