Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny A Signature Custom

NighthawkChris

Saw the demo video of our fellow Greg Koch playing the Johnny A Signature Custom... Must say, one nice guitar! It looks like an amazing guitar and watching Greg play it like the professional player he is makes me want it even more, haha! I'm a sucker eusa_wall.gif Would love to hear about it from anyone who plays this guitar. I sure wouldn't mind trying one out msp_biggrin.gif

Sorry no experience with a Johnny A model, but the "signature" series seems to add quite a bit to the price.

I had a CS336, and now have a SC356 and I love Gibson semi-hollows. The Johnny A is classified as an archtop, but seems to have the same construction as a 336 or 356. Back, sides and center block carved from one piece of mahogany with carved maple top which give them great tone, sustain, and variety of sounds.

Johnny A has pointy cutaways, a Bigsby, and different fingerboard inlays. But if you can live without the Bigsby I think a 336 will give you the very similar sound for a couple thousand less.

Sorry no experience with a Johnny A model, but the "signature" series seems to add quite a bit to the price.

I had a CS336, and now have a SC356 and I love Gibson semi-hollows. The Johnny A is classified as an archtop, but seems to have the same construction as a 336 or 356. Back, sides and center block carved from one piece of mahogany with carved maple top which give them great tone, sustain, and variety of sounds.

Johnny A has pointy cutaways, a Bigsby, and different fingerboard inlays. But if you can live without the Bigsby I think a 336 will give you the same sound for a couple thousand less.

Yeah, good point. I don't particularly like the Bigsby and inlays are only fancy. I will try a 336 out when I get a chance to plug one in. It's just that Mr. Gregory Koch made that sound phenomenal! Then again, Gregory can make a 2x4 with a rubber band sound good msp_biggrin.gif Guy is damn good! Maybe I should check out a video of him playing a 336 as you have suggested I explore. Thanks for the feedback!

Johnny A has pointy cutaways, a Bigsby, and different fingerboard inlays. But if you can live without the Bigsby I think a 336 will give you the same sound for a couple thousand less.

Just FYI: There are construction and scale-length differences too. The Johnny A is more hollow inside than the 336/356 with less 'center block' area left integral with the back wood, and I believe the Johnny A routing leaves the inside-back flat whereas on the 336/356 the inside/back routing is dished like the back itself. And the Johhny A uses a longer, "Fender" 25.5" scale length than the usual Gibson 24.75 scale length.

I have both, a 2003 Johnny A. S/N JA 024 from the initial production run and a 2004 custom one-off CS-336; pictured here with my Larry Carlton 335.

DSC05959.jpg

Tone-wise they are very close. The Johnny A. does have an arched top. The 336 is my favorite by far over the Johnny A., 335 or LP. It has great balance, playability and great upper fret access. I find the longer scale length of the Johnny A. to be quite strange. While the length is the same as a Fender, it is very un-Fender like. I can switch between a Strat and a Gibson without any issues, but the Johnny A, is just different and it takes me a few minutes to adjust. It probably has more to do with the fretboard radius and profile of the neck than the scale length. When I first got it the tuning went out every time I touched the Bigsby. My tech dressed the nut and the problem went away. The Johnny A. is a strikingly beautiful guitar with lots of bling. Even the case is super fancy, all contributing to a much higher price.

Just FYI: There are construction and scale-length differences too. The Johnny A is more hollow inside than the 336/356 with less 'center block' area left integral with the back wood, and I believe the Johnny A routing leaves the inside-back flat whereas on the 336/356 the inside/back routing is dished like the back itself. And the Johhny A uses a longer, "Fender" 25.5" scale length than the usual Gibson 24.75 scale length.

Missed the fact that they are the longer scale. That would be a deal breaker for me. [thumbdn]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived