Gibson Brands Forums

About to buy one of the two: LP 50s tribute or SG 2013 standard

gals

Hello all,

I am about to buy one of the two: LP 50s tribute or SG 2013 standard.

The SG is 2013 in classic white mint condition and is a standard hence a bit higher grade of finish.

The LP is 2016 as new condition' being the 50s tribute (which is great sounding actually) but lower grade of finish, no maple cap and a satin finish.

Any input would be great since i'm having a hard time deciding.

Sorry if my English is bad, it is not my native language.

Thank you so much for your time reading this and or replying.

I've not played the SG you're talking about and I'm more of a Les Paul fan than an SG anyway. I bought a 2017 Tribute recently and I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's a great guitar, plays like a dream and has fantastic sound. It's the guitar I've been playing the most lately. I love it.

Two very different guitars in the way they feel to play. The neck feels further away on an SG to me which I don't like (compared to a Les Paul).. You also have the common neck dive issue on SGs (which can be easily fixed with a wide leather strap).

No one can tell you.. You must go and try both...

But id say the LP Tribute (but I would as I love LPs :))

Just to clarify, the Les Paul does have a maple cap, just not a fancy one. Personally I would go for the SG because it should hold value better than a LP 50s tribute. I like both models. As Rabs suggested, try them both and pick your favorite. My choice may not be your choice.

Hello all,

I am about to buy one of the two: LP 50s tribute or SG 2013 standard.

The SG is 2013 in classic white mint condition and is a standard hence a bit higher grade of finish.

The LP is 2016 as new condition' being the 50s tribute (which is great sounding actually) but lower grade of finish, no maple cap and a satin finish.

Any input would be great since i'm having a hard time deciding.

Sorry if my English is bad, it is not my native language.

Thank you so much for your time reading this and or replying.

If you don't buy the SG, let me know where you found it, because I'm looking to buy a white one.

Thank you all for the replies.

The SG ended up not mint condition :( such a bummer since it sounded great and felt so comfortable...

Wanted her so bad but couldnt look past the discolored paint and scuffs.

So this being the situation.. this Thursday ill be getting the LP 50s tribute.

Its a 2016 and in a perfectly new condition..

For me an LP with no binding or high gloss is a bit of a turnoff.. but the thing does sound amazing.

hope to be enjoying her.

Ill post another update and a picture.

Thank you friends

Maybe someday ill be putting my hands on a nice SG

by the way... would you consider an Epiphone G400 pro to be a nice compromise ?

Archived