Gibson Brands Forums

Do you name your guitars?

Pin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually No, when I first bought 2 guitars I named them Goldy Lox for the Gold Top and Little Red Riding Hood for the Gretsch, but when I get them out it's just the Gibson, the Jaguar, the Gretsch, the Custom Pro or the Epiphone, a Acoustic is just that or the 12.

I did name one after a woman once. Of course once the relationship went south I hated the guitar and sold it. Won't do that again! [scared]

haha, I named a Les Paul after my wife once thinking that way she wouldn't get as pissed that I bought it. didnt work.

I do not name them. I think the occasional naming of guitars based on a cool story such as BB's Lucille is one thing but to come up with names for guitars is not something that makes sense to me and if it did the next thing would be why name them after women?

What purpose would the name serve?

Not to serve a purpose as much as just having fun. What a bunch of stiffs on here.

I named my 83 Les Paul Standard in Candy Apple Red as "Ruby" named after one of my favorite 80's vocalists Ruby Starr (think "Jim Dandy to the rescue" recorded with Black Oak Arkansas) She died at 45 years old from a brain tumor & lung cancer.

rubystarrrubyred.jpg

I named my Gibson SG Supreme "Veronica" after meeting a drummer (Veronica Bellino) for the Rob Balducci Band in Kansas City back in 2006 at a concert I attended with Robert Keeley & another friend. She was hot as hell & played that kit like John Bonham. The day after the concert me & Robert & our buddy John went to Musicians Friend warehouse where I bought the guitar. Here's Veronica (the girl)

maxresdefault.jpg

And lastly - I named a custom shop sapphire blue Les Paul "Bobbie" after my brother Bob passed away in 2005 from a brain aneurysm as a tribute to him & all the decades we spent on the road in bands. He was not just my brother - but my best friend & drummer for all of my life.

...I name my Boxers after old horror stars...

I sincerely hope we're not talking about underclothes?...........eusa_think.gif.............

In the dim'n'distant past (my Strat days) it was always simply the '64 Strat; the '71 Strat; the '59 Strat; the '81 Strat; the '73 Strat......and so on.

Usually, nowadays, having mostly non-duplicated instruments, I just think 'The Strat'; 'The Tele'; 'The Di Mauro' etc...etc...

My Les Pauls are a slightly different matter.

Ten years ago my daughter (in a roundabout way) christened my R0 'Marmalade' but (don't tell her) I still usually think about it as my '95 R0.

Similarly - and from the same source - my other LPs received the monikers "Treacle", "Honey" and "Jam" although, realistically, they are still just known to me by their dates/designations.

I've absolutely no beef with naming guitars whatsoever. In truth I actually quite like the concept. It helps me out sometimes when discussing my LPs with friends in-the-know to talk about 'Honey', for example, but I'd never named a guitar before I had Marmalade and I've never named one since.

Pip.

I sincerely hope we're not talking about underclothes?...........eusa_think.gif.............

In the dim'n'distant past (my Strat days) it was always simply the '64 Strat; the '71 Strat; the '59 Strat; the '81 Strat; the '73 Strat......and so on.

Usually, nowadays, having mostly non-duplicated instruments, I just think 'The Strat'; 'The Tele'; 'The Di Mauro' etc...etc...

My Les Pauls are a slightly different matter.

Ten years ago my daughter (in a roundabout way) christened my R0 'Marmalade' but (don't tell her) I still usually think about it as my '95 R0.

Similarly - and from the same source - my other LPs received the monikers "Treacle", "Honey" and "Jam" although, realistically, they are still just known to me by their dates/designations.

I've absolutely no beef with naming guitars whatsoever. In truth I actually quite like the concept. It helps me out sometimes when discussing my LPs with friends in-the-know to talk about 'Honey', for example, but I'd never named a guitar before I had Marmalade and I've never named one since.

Pip.

You had me at '59 Strat [thumbup]

Pip.

That made me laugh Pip. no, not those boxers. Boris, my old Boxer is my 2007 LP Standard faded. Bela, is my Firebird. and Elsa my baby, is my 2007 LP Classic Antique.

image.jpg

Bella.jpg

20170819_075430.jpg

My son with the Gibson ES-LP once referred to my ES-335 as THE PIZZA BOX due to it's relative size.

Now my wife uses that occasionally to get my goat.

Long time ago we were in a Sam Ash and there were a couple 335s with tags on them and big colorful ON SALE signs and stuff. Mrs says "...how come you don't use one of these it's a Gibson huh?" So I picked one up, put my foot up on an amp and strummed it. She laughed really hard and understood immediately why I don't use one of these giant things.

rct

Not to serve a purpose as much as just having fun. What a bunch of stiffs on here.

I named my 83 Les Paul Standard in Candy Apple Red as "Ruby" named after one of my favorite 80's vocalists Ruby Starr (think "Jim Dandy to the rescue" recorded with Black Oak Arkansas) She died at 45 years old from a brain tumor & lung cancer.

rubystarrrubyred.jpg

I named my Gibson SG Supreme "Veronica" after meeting a drummer (Veronica Bellino) for the Rob Balducci Band in Kansas City back in 2006 at a concert I attended with Robert Keeley & another friend. She was hot as hell & played that kit like John Bonham. The day after the concert me & Robert & our buddy John went to Musicians Friend warehouse where I bought the guitar. Here's Veronica (the girl)

maxresdefault.jpg

And lastly - I named a custom shop sapphire blue Les Paul "Bobbie" after my brother Bob passed away in 2005 from a brain aneurysm as a tribute to him & all the decades we spent on the road in bands. He was not just my brother - but my best friend & drummer for all of my life.

Thought I'd add a photo of the aforementioned named guitars :)

23376455_1686815281368590_7487706488787314490_n.jpg?oh=d73f533cbf27901afc91a483b4ae8273&oe=5A726985

......no, not those boxers. Boris, my old Boxer is my 2008 LP Standard faded. Bela, is my Firebird. and Elsa my baby, is my 2007 LP Classic Antique.......

You ease my worried mind greatly, Karloff!

msp_thumbup.gif

You had me at '59 Strat [thumbup]...

Ahhh.....well, at the risk of going off-topic for a mo'...

The thing was a bit of an odd-ball. It was made after Fender switched from a solid (one-piece) neck-blank to the "rout from the top & cap with a rosewood slab-board" style of production but unusually, probably as a special order, had a maple 'board. This also meant there was no skunk-stripe down the back of the neck. It was finished in Fiesta Red which was very worn and had a single-ply white 'guard instead of the usual (by that time) mint-green 3-ply Nitro-Cellulose version.

So Far So Good but, sad to relate, it was not one of Fullerton's Finest examples of the type in several regards.

Neck-body fit was laughable; truly atrocious. Despite having been given a professional set-up the trem. had a life of its own. Sometimes it worked perfectly well and sometimes it didn't. Even after several strip-down & reassemble visits to various places no-one could work out why it was unstable. I actually knew the previous owner (he was in a well-known band) and the unreliable trem. was the reason he passed it on. The p'ups were OK-ish but nowhere near as good as those in my '64 (which I owned at the same time). I can't remember exactly how long I kept the '59 but it was not long at all. I was simply fed up with battling against the thing. More than a week, probably, but certainly less than a month.

Pip.

Archived