Gibson Brands Forums

My first electric guitar (Gibson LP Standard 2017

Chocky_White

Hi! I`m happy to be an owner of brand new guitar Gibson LP Standart 2017. I bought it from official distributor.

It`s my first Gibson and electric guitar :)

I have few common newbie questions.

1. What about some procedure after I bought guitar? Is it need any registration for warranty or any other recommendation?

There are some questionnaire Gibson Gold Warranty or this form http://gibson.com/Support/WarrantyRegistration/Gibson-USA-Guitar.aspx

2. I can`t find owner guide for new Gibson LP Standard. Just 2004 and 2007 manuals. Where can I find an actual owner manual for 2017 LP?

3. Could you advise, please, the strings for Gibson LP standard 2017. What strings installed from the factory to this guitar (Diameter or tension)? The most suitable, or analog of factory strings in diameter or tension?

4. Гёь using Dunlop System 65 Maintenance Kit for my acoustic guitar. Is it suitable for care Gibson (this model http://gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx )

Thanks in advance! Have a nice day.

Hi! I`m happy to be an owner of brand new guitar Gibson LP Standart 2017. I bought it from official distributor.

1. What about some procedure after I bought guitar? Is it need any registration for warranty or any other recommendation?

There are some questionnaire Gibson Gold Warranty or this form http://gibson.com/Support/WarrantyRegistration/Gibson-USA-Guitar.aspx

2. I can`t find owner guide for new Gibson LP Standard. Just 2004 and 2007 manuals. Where can I find an actual owner manual for 2017 LP?

3. Could you advise, please, the strings for Gibson LP standard 2017. What strings installed from the factory to this guitar (Diameter or tension)? The most suitable, or analog of factory strings in diameter or tension?

4. Гёь using Dunlop System 65 Maintenance Kit for my acoustic guitar. Is it suitable for care Gibson (this model http://gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx )

First off, CONGRATS!

1. When I got my Gibson I registered via the same website you posted.

2. no idea, I'd start here http://gibson.com/Support/Schematics.aspx

3. I believe they come with 10's, likely .010 to .046

4. I'm not familiar with that kit.

Hello, and congrats!

As far as registration goes, you can do it online, and... Well, up to you.

The warranty thing is only good if you're an American citizen.

There should be a user's manual in the compartment with the leather flap.

Like Megafrog said, they come with 46-09s. I suggest D'Addario EXL125 - they're the same dimensions.

As far as Dunlop goes, you'd have to be more specific. Are we talking fretboard oil, as in Dunlop 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil?

If so, here's my advice: some people will tell you it's crap, some people will swear by it. I've revived dying fretboards with it and live in Sweden where humidity changes get pretty extreme from one season to another, and I use it, and it works. It DOES supposedly leave an "invisible sheen" on it, which is fine by me. Be aware that every other year or so, you might notice white-ish residue in the pores of the fretboard. No sweat, it's probably the sheen in question. What I do is I use Gorgomyte (Google it - one cloth will last you a decade) every other year to really suck everything out before rehydrating with Dunlop Lemon Oil.

I oil once annually - before winter. Any more is overkill, if you ask me.

If I lived someplace where the climate was reasonably stable and not too dry, I'd oil up once every ten years. E.g., Florida. Dunno where you live. I'm thinking Southern Europe?

As far as the body of the guitar goes... Not a clue, mate. I use a slightly damp cotton cloth if need be. Wipe it dry before it goes back in the case.

Don't worry too much about fretboard conditioning. It is not something that needs to be done very often.

As to cleaning and polish I guess Gibson's product should be good, but I personally like Virtuoso Premium Cleaner and Premium Polish. Use the cleaner first and then the polish, they do a great job and are safe for the Nitro finish on your guitar. You really shouldn't need to use either of those for quite a while either since the guitar is new.

As to the owner's manual, it should have been in the case as mentioned, but many distributors seem to remove them so you might not be able to find one. Not really a problem, as they are very generic and cover all models with two pickups and two volume/tone controls.

We do have a rule on this forum, that unless you provide pictures of your new guitar - it didn't really happen.

Here is my 2017 Standard:

a6Na9ii.jpg

You are very lucky to have your first electric guitar be a Gibson Les Paul, enjoy it. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Regarding polishing your guitar, I use Gibson Pump Polish, I've never had any problems with it.

One thing I would say to you is never leave a Capo or Tuner on you guitar when your not using them, they could (and probably would) ruin the Nitro finish. Also the same applies to guitar stands, the only ones I would use are the Hercules ones, I've never had any problems with those but I know some members don't even trust those.

Good luck and enjoy your Les Paul, it's a beauty.

Ian

I have the exact same guitar and bought it last February.

1. I registered both of mine online. You have the correct link. http://www.gibson.com/Support/WarrantyRegistration/Gibson-USA-Guitar.aspx

2. You should have gotten an owner's manual with the guitar. It should be in the case. http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx. I'd have to look at the manual I got with mine. You should have gotten the manual, the warranty card, the multi-tool, the strap, a picture of your guitar on the bench at Gibson, the inspection card and the multi-tool was in a little velvet bag. It also came in a brown Gibson USA hardshell case. If you didn't get all of those items, you should have if you bought it new.

3. I think they came with 10's. I put 9's on mine, Ernie Ball Super Slinky. Either works fine. Put on your preferred brand/gauge. You may need to set the intonation and maybe adjust the truss rod after changing strings. If you're not comfortable doing this on your own, take it to a good luthier in your area for a good setup.

4. This is what I mostly use: Gibson Pump Polish for regular cleaning and Gibson Luthier's Choicefor deep cleaning once or twice a year. I don't know anything about the Dunlop stuff.

Might be the flash or angle of the photo, but that fretboard looks really dry. Mine looked similar when I took it out of the box, just not as bad as your image. The guitar tech who setup my Les Paul oiled my fretboard in the process, and it came back looking darker, without the white haze on it.

I'd say it's dry, but the flash accentuates it.

Hard to tell for sure.

I just got a 2017 Tribute that was six months off the assembly line that I re-conditioned right away, and the fretboard drank up the oil like me at a buffet where there's free wine included and nothing planned for the day after.

It was REALLY dry. I was hella surprised.

Might be the flash or angle of the photo, but that fretboard looks really dry. Mine looked similar when I took it out of the box, just not as bad as your image. The guitar tech who setup my Les Paul oiled my fretboard in the process, and it came back looking darker, without the white haze on it.

bBLDqQ1.jpg

Hi! It was low quality picture.

In reality Look different. Humidity 48-50%.

Everything's under control :) Dont worry!

Archived