Gibson Brands Forums

Is John Thomas's reissue project 1942 Gibson J-45 hide glued ?

gotomsdos

Hi - Every time you have been away for a while, I at some point think of you, , , then shortly after you show up.

Are you, gotomsdos, aware of the fact that it seems I'm capable of materializing your presence here. .

But afraid I can't answer the Q - a guess would be yes, , , or something like it.

Now let the capacities speak.

Hi, folks out there. Long time no see.

I have a 1942 Gibson J-45 reissue (as part of Mr.John Thomas's guitar reissue project 2013), one of 50 pieces in all.

Anyone knows if it's hide glued ?

Any input would be appreciated.

When I owned that guitar that you own now I remember looking inside and seeing a bit of glue squeeze out around the kerfing and it didn't look like hide to me. I believe the neck joint and top braces are glued with hide and the rest is typical Tite Bond or some equivalent.

How is that guitar working for you ?

Hi, folks out there. Long time no see.

I have a 1942 Gibson J-45 reissue (as part of Mr.John Thomas's guitar reissue project 2013), one of 50 pieces in all.

Anyone knows if it's hide glued ?

Any input would be appreciated.

I spec-ed hide glue throughout, but, alas, have no idea what Gibson eventually used. My best guess is that the supposition of hide glue for the neck joint and braces is correct.

How do you like the guitar?

I spec-ed hide glue throughout, but, alas, have no idea what Gibson eventually used. My best guess is that the supposition of hide glue for the neck joint and braces is correct.

How do you like the guitar?

Thank you Mr. JT. I like it very much, it sounds very articulate.

I received a PM related to this thread from my pal Rambler. Alas, when I attempt to respond, the forum gods inform me, "You cannot reply." Maybe my punishment for sending my collection to Gibson for free and not asking for money for the project, but asking instead for a contribution to a women's history project, which Gibson promised ... before refusing to do so.

Anyway, Rambler, email me.

Maybe my punishment for sending my collection to Gibson for free and not asking for money for the project, but asking instead for a contribution to a women's history project, which Gibson promised ... before refusing to do so.

Apparently you are not alone JT. According to Dan Erlewine, he assisted Gibson in developing a Michael Bloomfield signature model LP, and was promised one of the guitars from the run.

Did he receive the instrument for his time & efforts?....... No.

Archived