Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird price increase 2018 ?

the other side

Your used prices are going to rise.

I bought a standard a few months back from Chicago Music Exchange because I knew the price was just too good. It was listed as a "floor model" - which I think is code for "we gotst to clear out the old year because we are forced to buy a crap-ton of new years". The thing was flawless and new. I paid $1900. I sold it on consignment two weeks ago and got nearly what I paid. My shop listed it for $2399 and got full price. It was next to an identical new one with the $3800 MAP.

Hang on to them. There was nothing wrong with mine. I just have too many guitars and I am playing just two of them.

(Sorry EM7 - I still love Birds and wouldnt be surprised if another one makes its way to me. A TV next time.)

Moral: buy Gibsons. Don’t sell Gibsons.

Many small shops cannot. For every Fullers there are a hundred really good small brick and mortar shops who cannot afford the buy-in which Gibson requires. And Gibson Brands does not want to hear about remaining unsold stock when it comes time to re-order. One of the funniest stories I have heard though related to one little shop. The owner inquired about the possibility of becoming an authorized Martin dealer. This guy had been in the business almost 20 years and has a sterling word of mouth reputation. He is probably the only guy in the world that I would buy a guitar from sight unseen based solely on his recomendation. Martin actually sent somebody out to check out his store. The guy walked in, looked at the two rooms with guitars and amps everywhere and left without a word. In the end it all comes down to dollars.

Rising prices though is no surprise. On the other hand Gibson has continued down the road they started on with the WM J-45 - giving you an affordable guitar made right along side its more expensive kin. Sooner or later everybody will catch on to the fact that paying an upcharge for premium AAA wood ain't worth it unless you place a high priority on looks. Grain count means nothing when it comes to quality of the wood.

For some reason - maybe Thomann - the price on TV's dropped significantly here a couple of years ago. I couldn't believe it.

Then I when checking Thomann some days before this thread came up, the TV was gone, but the difference between old Std. Birds and the 2018 almost 1000 Euro.

(Sorry EM7 - I still love Birds and wouldnt be surprised if another one makes its way to me. A TV next time.)

Presume it will be a burned ex, , , perhaps one of those close browns. If not of course, you're after re-catching your former also fried TV.

Enjoy hunting

It’s also has to do with top notch star performers, a lot who are country, are playing Gibsons....which serve as advertising that they are professional models played by the stars. Meaning, they can fetch a higher price.

I assume Martin comparables are in the same range.

Me thinks.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

For those interested in a more detailed discussion of 2018 prices - it was posted on September 10th.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/139163-2018-gibson-prices/page__p__1880532__hl__price+increases__fromsearch__1#entry1880532

Quick observations on the comments on this thread:

- The OP's numbers reflect a 10% price increase on List Prices for a 2018 Hbird which tracks with prices on the Gibson site. If you look at Martin & Taylor sties - they do not show last years and this years prices.

- To compare Gibson's site listing for a 2018 J45 price to a GC listing for a 2017 price is misleading. Gibson's site shows the comparable price is $2399, not $2149. Significantly reduces the appearance of a large price - increase. Might be GC' is presenting apples and oranges to encourage folks to buy their year old inventory.

- Combining the price paid last year for a damaged guitar plus the cost of repairs - to a 2018 list price is not apples and apples. Not even fruit and fruit.

So - looking at price increases can easily lead to wrong conclusions.

The prices, obviously, have gone up. But for an actual purchaser - the only issue is the price they wind up paying - not the sticker price.

Archived