Gibson Brands Forums

Poker Anyone?

Megafrog

I purchased a 2017 Les Paul Traditional back in September and I loved the action and feel but the top left a little something to be desired. I decided to order a poker chip for it and it is like love at first site. Are poker chips important to you? Do they really impact the look of the guitar that much to you?

Here is a before picture:

4fnusYE.jpg

Here is an after picture:

ygJlwDT.jpg

I don't get it...I've never been playing and looked at the guitar and said: "Which way is Rhythm and which one is Treble? Oh, yes, I see." Just like on the Stratocaster, I never looked while playing and wondered which was Tone or Volume?

They should make a poker chip that says Love / Hate...

I don't get it...I've never been playing and looked at the guitar and said: "Which way is Rhythm and which one is Treble? Oh, yes, I see." Just like on the Stratocaster, I never looked while playing and wondered which was Tone or Volume?

They should make a poker chip that says Love / Hate...

I totally get what you are saying. I think it is more of an aesthetic thing than anything else. To me, a Les Paul or SG just doesn't look right without it. It seems weird that adding a round piece of plastic to a over $1,500 guitar would make a difference but to me it does. They still play and sound the same but they just look more right to me.

No poker chip and I turn the switch a bit so it is more front to back than up and down. My hand and arm are usually flailing pick sliding tapping harmonicing and all that from front to back and not really up and down.

rct

To me, a Les Paul or SG just doesn't look right without it. It seems weird that adding a round piece of plastic to a over $1,500 guitar would make a difference but to me it does. They still play and sound the same but they just look more right to me.

I agree in most cases. I think certain guitars look great without them.... the BFG for example. But on a mor traditional one, I think the poker chip adds something important to the look. Probably just tradition, but it feels right to me.

Sometimes. Both of my Les Pauls and both SGs have poker chips so i'm used to seeing them and don't think they would look right without them. But my ES-335 Dot Reissue doesn't have one. I also have a couple of Ltd guitars that have 3-way toggle switches without poker chips and I'm fine with them.

No poker chip and I turn the switch a bit so it is more front to back than up and down. My hand and arm are usually flailing pick sliding tapping harmonicing and all that from front to back and not really up and down.

rct

What a good idea! I think I'll do that on my LP too. [thumbup]

What I think is weird is that the RHYTHM / TREBLE writing seems to be for the benefit of someone watching you. To the guitarist its always upside down.

Look what this crazy was driven to do...

28mp6jp.jpg

All he had to do was turn the chip 180 around :rolleyes:

I like my Les Pauls with one. I don't have them on any other guitars. For me, it's just an aesthetic thing. If I wasn't so used to seeing them with one, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

I agree. I do think it looks better on the OP's guitar.

I thought this thread was going to be about gambling!

.....it looks right on an LP because of its position on the upper bout.

Yes, agree. Not nearly so good on lower bout; guitars with switch next to knobs don't usually have 'em at all.

Interesting......

I think that over the years, I've seen about every combination of "cute" sayings on the poker chip. Personal opinion is do what you want, I just don't think it's my thing. That said, I know what the switch means, and what pickup(s) it's (or me are) selecting.

Archived