Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II Electronics Question

JGM

Hello. New to the board as I thought this would be a good resource. I have two Sheraton IIs. One early 80s made in Korea and the second 2017 which is a II pro model. Question is on the older model the neck and bridge pickups are truly separated controlled by the switch. Switch in treble position the vol/tone control only has affect on the neck pickup and vice versa on the bass/bridge side. With the Sheraton II pro when the switch is in the treble position, I've noticed that I have to give a little volume to the bass/bridge side for the neck pickup volume to work. I believe this to be reverse as well with the bridge pickup needing a little volume on the neck side but haven't tested that yet. In other words there seems to be some dependency wired between the bridge and neck controls. Anyone else noticed this? It isn't really a big deal but I wasn't expecting it. The older model functions as what I would expect. I know the older model has coil split/tap but that shouldn't affect the tie between neck/bridge volume controls.

Also, my 2017 II pro has a pickguard contoured to the body arch top shape. Is that the way they all are? My older Sheraton II is flat. Just curious.

This is normal. Most Gibson and Epiphone guitars are wired such that turning either volume control all the way down will cancel the guitar's output. In live situations, this is handy so that when using both pickups you only need to turn one knob to "turn off" the guitar. Some players prefer to modify the wiring so the volume controls are completely independent, but this is not typical of most guitars.

This is normal. Most Gibson and Epiphone guitars are wired such that turning either volume control all the way down will cancel the guitar's output. In live situations, this is handy so that when using both pickups you only need to turn one knob to "turn off" the guitar. Some players prefer to modify the wiring so the volume controls are completely independent, but this is not typical of most guitars.

Thanks Parabar. Makes sense. I'll have to satisfy my curiosity on the wiring between the two volume controls that enables the single knob "turn off". Thanks again.

Archived