Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Rhoads VOS Owner's Question - Regarding Nitro

Six String

• 1 month later...

This can be a moot point for owners of n-c finished guitars

Some would like their guitar(s) check-free for ever

Others like to see a characterful presence akin to 'road ageing' or 'distressing' sooner rather than later......[unsure]

Gigged guitars subject to occasional indifferent storage and transport conditions may check quite early on

V

:-({|=

Guest Farnsbarns

Most Gibson guitars made in the last 30 years or so will probably never check because of the amount of plasticiser in the lacquer. This one, being a reissue, will have much less.

Most Gibson guitars made in the last 30 years or so will probably never check because of the amount of plasticiser in the lacquer. This one, being a reissue, will have much less.

I doubt it's even as straightforward as that, Farns. It might even come down to which part of which year the guitar was finished.

After I noticed the checking appearing on the R0 I asked in a few places why this was happening to this guitar and not the others. The answer which makes most sense (considering the condition of the other LPs I have) is that during part of '94 (perhaps) and '95 (definitely) the Historic Division was experimenting in different formulae for their nitro finish. Some (I was told by a very-well informed member over in The Les Paul Forum) turned out to be more predictable in their behaviour than others and the final choice went to a mixture that was thin but not as prone to checking as others. It seems the nitro used on my '95 R0 was one of the earlier efforts which, ultimately, was rejected.

Certainly the extent to which the guitar has checked seems a bit over-the-top.

I'm not sure these snaps show the 'progression' of the checking off too well but FWIW here are three pics taken a mere 18 months apart;

Feb 2010;

a_lo-res_Feb_2010.jpg

Sept. 2010;

a_Lo-res_Sept_2010.jpg

Sept. 2011;

a_lo-res_Sept_2011.jpg

I really should try to take some new snaps to see if there has been much change in the ensuing years. The most recent of these is now over 6 years old...

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I've heard this before Pippy, probably from you. I'm fairly convinced, just from the way it feels, that the lacquer on the USA line is as good as being plastic now. That's what I meant by 'most gibsons'. The custom shop models will, of course, vary as you say but I'm pretty sure you'll see no weather checking on the USA line anymore.

Archived