Gibson Brands Forums

Schaller Strap Locks

kurrykid

I saw a few threads on these but didn't really see what I'm curious about. I want to put some Schaller strap locks on my new 2017 LP Traditional guitar [thumbup] I have them on a few other guitars so I took one off and when I tried to screw it into the LP (the one by the pickup switch), the screw was too long. I don't want to force it and cause any cracking or issues.

When I look at them on Amazon, it says they come with extra long screws for Gibson. That is not my problem...I need shorter screws, I think (again based on what I had on a previous guitar).

Does anyone know if this is a known issue or if they will come with the right size screws?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Dave

Guest Farnsbarns

just use the same screw that your original strap pins are secured with.

This is what I've done on all the gibsons I use Schalers on. Some have been on these guitars for many years now.

I've never used straplocks. In 27+ years I've never had a guitar fall off it's strap but I thought I'd read that the original screw head is too large and won't seat inside the locking button. Perhaps that was only true of the screw used on historic reissues?

I've never used straplocks. In 27+ years I've never had a guitar fall off it's strap but I thought I'd read that the original screw head is too large and won't seat inside the locking button. Perhaps that was only true of the screw used on historic reissues?

all it takes is one misshap!

Anyways, it's possible what you say is fact, in my exp. with 2 les paul standards and 2 sgs. the same screw worked a treat.

I have Schaller straplocks on 2 of my gtrs. Think they may even come with 2 lengths of screw.

Found I could use one of the original strap button screws each time.

You have to check and tighten them on the strap occasionally.

Good luck.

Consider taking your guitar to an experienced tech that can install the longer screw for you without damaging the guitar. I installed Schaller strap lock buttons on my Les Paul Studio using the stock button screw that came on the guitar. The screw never stayed tight and I found myself keeping a screw driver close by to tighten it up. I brought the guitar to the tech that did the set-up and he pulled a longer screw out of his draw and simply screwed it in being careful not to damage the wood on the backend. Haven't had a problem since. Took him less than a minute and he didn't charge me for it. When I got my Les Paul Standard, I took the Schaller strap locks with me and he installed the longer screw when he did the set-up. Hasn't come loose yet. The problem with the screw coming loose is that if you don't notice it, then the button can pop off and you may drop your guitar defeating the purpose of having installed the strap locks in the first place. Good luck.

I've used Schallers for decades. They are definitely different in size on the Les Paul straight out of the factory or at least they are on both if mine.

The screw works just fine on the button near the neck. You can use the Schaller screw or the original Gibson screw. The one on the bottom of the Les Paul is a different size and is too big to fit in the Schaller. I used the longer screw for it. I screwed it in slowly with a screwdriver and had no issues at all. They've only been on my Les Pauls this year because I bought them this year. I've had them on my 81 V since the 80s or early 90s. I did have a guitar take a stage dive, while on stage, in 1983. Thankfully it didn't break too bad but the fretboard did separate from the neck and it was expensive for me at the time to fix it. I've had some type of straplock on every electric guitar since then. I also keep the original buttons and screws, just in case.

There are other options, other than Schaller and they work quite well, from what I hear. I just like these the best, probably because that was the solution I found at the time and am so used to them now. My routine is: Buy guitar, choose a strap, get Schallers, replace strings, do a setup, play. I was wary myself about screwing them into a $3000.00 guitar but I took it slow and all worked out just fine.

Why not take the strap button out of the equation completely and simply screw the strap to the guitar?

at one time, that was a planet wave solution. there was a small leather tie that you screw directly in, and a plastic snap lock on both leather and a corresponding snap lock on the strap. this allowed removing the strap for cases where there wasn't room for the strap to stay on the guitar I still have the two straps I bought some 20+ years ago.

I have Schaller straplocks on 2 of my gtrs. Think they may even come with 2 lengths of screw.

Found I could use one of the original strap button screws each time.

You have to check and tighten them on the strap occasionally.

Good luck.

Yup, last 2 sets of Schallers I've bought both can with 4 screws, 2 long, 2 short (both purchased last year so its a fairly recent thing as before it was only the 2 shorties in the pk).

Johnny

just to add IMHO the biggest thing to worry about w/strap locks is not the screw, it is how they are adjusted on your strap! I check this often.. if the bolt loosens up and the orientation is not right (like upside down) they can just as easily un-straplock... It's happened to me on at least two occasions, thankfully my reflexes were quick enough that I grabbed on before gravity took over. so even with a strap lock, no guarantees.

Now I always check that the "U" in the strap lock is always pointing to the floor and the bolt/washer is dead tight, a bit of lock tight on the washer & bolt don't hurt either.

especially with thick leather/suede straps.

Any one else have this happen?

just to add IMHO the biggest thing to worry about w/strap locks is not the screw, it is how they are adjusted on your strap! I check this often.. if the bolt loosens up and the orientation is not right (like upside down) they can just as easily un-straplock... It's happened to me on at least two occasions, thankfully my reflexes were quick enough that I grabbed on before gravity took over. so even with a strap lock, no guarantees.

Now I always check that the "U" in the strap lock is always pointing to the floor and the bolt/washer is dead tight, a bit of lock tight on the washer & bolt don't hurt either.

Yes, I check mine routinely when I put the straps on the guitar especially before I'm going to be using the guitar on a strap for a period of time. That couple minutes of checking it, adjusting, and tightening can save years of heartache and lots of money.

No, I use Dunlops. So I have to make sure it actually latched, I have dropped one guitar using straplocks because I didn't make sure it caught correctly.

rct

The first & many times the only thing I change on my guitars is to install Schaller Strap Locks. In 25 years, I've probably installed 50 sets & never had a problem. The screw on the endpin is of a larger size than the other screw & both screws that come with the Strap Locks. I push in two tooth picks, break them off & screw in the longer screw that is supplied. Do it slowly & it won't crack anything. Another thing that I've always done at the strap end, is enlarge the hole in the leather. Using a punch that comes with most grommet kits, I open the hole on both ends of the strap before installing the strap locks. This allows the strap lock to screw down & fit better, decreasing the chance of them coming loose. I have never had one come loose but still check them periodically. It will ruin the strap from being used with the stock strap buttons, but it's worked for me..............

BbNHwLpl.jpg

No, I use Dunlops. So I have to make sure it actually latched, I have dropped one guitar using straplocks because I didn't make sure it caught correctly.

rct

I have dunlops on my ES135, they are solid too but I have the same thing happen once or twice. Those come with a VERY long set of screws.

I have dunlops on my ES135, they are solid too but I have the same thing happen once or twice. Those come with a VERY long set of screws.

Yes. And I've screwed them into Fenders, Gibsons, Martins. Never a pilot hole, no drilling, never a problem, never heard of anyone cracking a les paul with a strap button screw, nobody ever died.

Cracks me up all the rosary clutching and drama over strap button crews.

rct

Yes. And I've screwed them into Fenders, Gibsons, Martins. Never a pilot hole, no drilling, never a problem, never heard of anyone cracking a les paul with a strap button screw, nobody ever died.

tru dat.. the only time you need to predrill is if your putting a pin on an acoustic heel, you'd be asking for trouble not to.

Cracks me up all the rosary clutching and drama over strap button crews.

amen brutha!

Archived