Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Relief

Hi Everyone,

Not too long ago, I purchased a 90's NH in an auction for relatively low cost that I had intentions of scrapping originally since I only wanted the 3 pickups in it (slanted HB, NSX single coil, and mini HB). Well, it has been sitting around my place, and I decided to restore it as much as I could. I have added new vintage Kluson tuning machines and rewired with after-market pickups, bought new knobs and pots, new switch, etc. I also scraped the rosewood on the fretboard to get rid of the scratches that the previous owner has done to this guitar. Overall, looks pretty good. Anyhow, after I strung it up, I noticed that the neck was pretty straight (very slightly forward bowed) and I get some slight buzz on it from various strings (mostly the low E). I tried to add some relief, and I noticed that the truss rod was completely loosened; I can only add tension to the neck apparently. Well, this is a new situation for me since I have never had a guitar with this issue before, so if I cannot add relief to the neck, what issues am I looking at here? Is the neck shot? I planned on one day heading to Nashville to have Gibson restore it, so is this something that Gibson Repair and Restoration can address? Either way, looks like a learning experience for me. I appreciate any feedback I can get on this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like I read about a similar truss rod problem somewhere and the answer was to sort of extend the truss rod with washers and such so that you could get some bite on tightening it up.

Search some Dan Erlewine videos on truss rod issues and I hope you'll find the solution.

Seems like I read about a similar truss rod problem somewhere and the answer was to sort of extend the truss rod with washers and such so that you could get some bite on tightening it up.

The washer trick is if you've got compressed wood and cant straighten the neck because you cant tighten the truss further. Chris is backed off all the way and still cant get relief. The heavier strings may get some relief/bow into the neck.

Johnny

Archived