Gibson Brands Forums

Martin D28

Jimmy CC

Im think about buying a Martin D28 and was wondering if there are good years and bad years for Martin D28

Yet to decide if I buy new or used.

With used I know that I won't have to wait for the wood to open up and breath, but it can be hard to find the ONE that works for me and my budget

If I buy new I am trouble free but must wait for the guitar to come around and will pay a little more

Dilemma !

I'm a big fan of the rosewood sides and back

To me nicer sound then a mahogany back and side of the D18(Personal feeling only)

Requesting Help !

JimmY CC

I can't really comment on good or bad years, but I tend to prefer newer ones (after 1985 or so) with an adjustable truss rod and lower profile neck. They also learned their lesson about not using rosewood for bridge plates by that time (I think). I would have no hesitation about buying one from '85 up. I recently bought a 2015 HD-28 and the tone and workmanship is wonderful. I've lowered the action and once I heard it, immediately raised it again. The strings like to really shake and thunder and I'm not about to do anything to impede them. I bought it in July and it had a set of Elixir mediums on it. I haven't touched them. I haven't felt the need to. In fact I haven't even wiped the guitar down with a cloth.

Supposedly the newest iteration of the D-28 has forward bracing and has had many good reports. I would love to try one but I am very happy with my HD.

If you are on a budget you might want to try a Martin Custom D made specifically for Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. I got a used one in a multi guitar trade and I love it. I have both a Yamaha A3R and ACiM and it sounds much crisper and cleaner than either of them. No electronics, no fancy binding, etc. Just a super light, great sounding guitar for not a lot of money.

Welcome Jimmy CC to the forum!msp_thumbup.gif Sorry I can't contribute to the discussion as I don't have any Martins although I have seen them at GC. I've been looking for a long time, "years in fact" at all the high end Acoustics but they were out of my price range. So I settled for a Ovation Classic Plus as I loved the tone. Good luck!

Im think about buying a Martin D28 and was wondering if there are good years and bad years for Martin D28

Yet to decide if I buy new or used.

With used I know that I won't have to wait for the wood to open up and breath, but it can be hard to find the ONE that works for me and my budget

If I buy new I am trouble free but must wait for the guitar to come around and will pay a little more

Dilemma !

I'm a big fan of the rosewood sides and back

To me nicer sound then a mahogany back and side of the D18(Personal feeling only)

Requesting Help !

JimmY CC

Thank you all for the replies

Archived