Gibson Brands Forums

NBD: 2018 SG Std. Bass.

MrNylon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet. I thought the red was quite a looker, but the Walnut is really tremendous. Glad that they sound good too, enjoy them. [thumbup] [thumbup]

The Walnut looks better than it did in the online photo. But then again, so does the Heritage Cherry. I like the Heritage Cherry being a traditional finish, but the Walnut is something for sure.

Thanks tx. The more I play these guys, the more I forget the Fenders I had.

I've had an interest in an SG bass for quite sometime. I have a couple of SG guitars and really like the body style. Both of my basses are 34" scale length so I would like to test drive the short scale length to see if I liked it.

I've had an interest in an SG bass for quite sometime. I have a couple of SG guitars and really like the body style. Both of my basses are 34" scale length so I would like to test drive the short scale length to see if I liked it.

I started out with short scales, then played long scales for a long time. After going back to shorts, I really don't miss the long scales. The 12" radius fretboard is more comfortable for me to play, than a more curved radius board.

I started out with short scales, then played long scales for a long time. After going back to shorts, I really don't miss the long scales. The 12" radius fretboard is more comfortable for me to play, than a more curved radius board.

Good to know. I'm not sure what the fretboard radius on my Aria Pro II P bass is, but my Ltd B-4E is 400 mm (13.25 inches) and it feels very comfortable to me. I too tend to prefer a flatter fretboard.

Good to know. I'm not sure what the fretboard radius on my Aria Pro II P bass is, but my Ltd B-4E is 400 mm (13.25 inches) and it feels very comfortable to me. I too tend to prefer a flatter fretboard.

I have small hands, and fingers. for me the flatter fretboard seems to not stretch my fingers over a curve, and less accidental brushing contact of strings. Just a bit cleaner overall.

I also like too, that Gibson is using Rosewood on the fretboards, instead of Baked Maple. I had a 2014 SG Std. Bass that had Baked Maple on it. It was ok, but it just didn't have the brighter brown color hue to it that a decent Rosewood has.

I have small hands, and fingers. for me the flatter fretboard seems to not stretch my fingers over a curve, and less accidental brushing contact of strings. Just a bit cleaner overall.

I am the exact opposite. I'm very tall (6'6") with long arms (37" sleeve length), with big hands and fat fingers. Up until a few years ago, I played Gibson electric guitars exclusively and got used to the 12" radius. It wasn't until I came in possession of some Ltd guitars and basses (350 mm radius for guitars and 400 mm for basses) that I played something new. I have thought about trying out some Fenders, but don't know how well I would adapt to the rounder fretboard radius.

When I was playing Fender Basses, the board radius was 9.5". So for me, a 12" radius feels fine. You'd have to give a 12" radius a test drive to see how your hand, and fingers would do.

My Sweetwater Music rep. was told, the 2018 SG Std. Basses, will be a stock bass in the three colors, Heritage Cherry, Walnut, and Ebony.

I love the SG basses and have 2 of the 2015 models in my collection. You need to quit posting pictures in your tag line otherwise I am going to need to get one of the 2018s in walnut. That is a gorgeous bass. Now an ebony? No will power.

I love the SG basses and have 2 of the 2015 models in my collection. You need to quit posting pictures in your tag line otherwise I am going to need to get one of the 2018s in walnut. That is a gorgeous bass. Now an ebony? No will power.

The Walnut does have a rather nice grain running through it. The weights on the SG Std.'s shown on Sweetwater's Guitar Gallery run from about 7 - 8 pounds. My two are 7.10 pounds.

I limited myself to two 2018 SG Std.'s. Which worked out ok, because a third one would've cashed out so to speak. The Ebony does look cool, but I do like the Heritage Cherry, and the Walnut more.

I love that you put those in your sig. I never get tired of looking at them. [thumbup]

Thank you sir. I'm so glad that these magnificent Gibsons are back, even if it's only for a short time, or whatever. The early EB to SG Std. basses have their place in music history too.

I like seeing them also.

qWyttxA.jpgRPPIDcf.jpg

Archived