Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

RevDavidLee

Okay I ordered it today so it's not here yet but Musicians Friend had them under their Stupid Deal pf the Day sale for $499 (normal price $899) so I jumped on it. Here's a photo I borrowed off the internet.

5331d119-b41a-4dfd-97d9-d20dda81a21d.jpg?v=1492608742

Here's a quick YouTube video:

And here's the specs:

The Jamesport is a 21st-century update of the Supro electric solid-body guitar. The elegant comfort of the 1960’s-era beveled-edge Ozark body shape and the mighty sound of the original field-coil pickup have been enhanced with an ultra-fast satin neck, Tune-o-matic bridge and updated wave tailpiece. The result is a modern player’s instrument with old-school style and authentic Supro tone.

The unique, Gold Foil pickup found in the Supro Jamesport is faithful reproduction of the original magnetics developed for Valco by Ralph Keller in the early 1950s. These pickups, which gave voice to the vintage Chicago-made Supro guitars, have a massive, broadband sound with remarkably low noise for a single-coil design. The humbucker-sized version of the Supro Gold Foil pickup used in the Jamesport is slightly overwound and located right at the harmonic “sweet spot”, as seen on the original Supro Ozark.

The time-tested tone wood recipe of an alder body paired with a 25.5 in.-scale maple neck and rosewood fretboard combine with the Jamesport’s vintage-correct pickup to produce an exceptionally dynamic playing experience. Blending vintage American tone with refined set-neck design, the Supro Jamesport is intended for the professional musician who needs an ergonomic and versatile guitar capable of handling most genres of music with authority. While the Jamesport is a single-pickup guitar, it can cover a wide range of tones from twang to blues, funk, rock and jazz by manipulating the on-board tone control.

The Jamesport guitar and its relatives in the Island Series represent the rebirth of the Supro brand as a stringed instrument manufacturer. The Supro Island Series of guitars was designed by David Koltai and Glenn Sweetwood, with technical assistance from master designer Trevor Wilkinson and vintage pickup expert Ken Calvet.

FEATURES

Vintage Supro Ozark body design

Antique White

Set neck with black satin finish

Vintage Gold Foil pickup

'50s-wiring volume and tone controls

Wave tailpiece

Alder body

Maple neck

25.5 in. scale

Dot inlays

6100 frets

12 in. radius fretboard

Corian nut

This should be delivered Thursday so I'll post more photos when she arrives. This is my first Supro guitar - should be a real nice pairing with my Supro Thunderbolt amp I bought a couple years back. I'm excited :) :o

That is really sharp, RevDavidLee!!

I like it a lot.

This is just me, but I would have to have a Supro amp to play it thru!!

(Maybe that's just my OCD talking....)

[unsure]

He did say he had a Supro Thunderbolt amp already.

Cool guitar.....congrats.

In curious how that one sounds.

Let us know, please.

Will do. Since I could not try one out locally I bought it based on the YouTube videos (and of course the price drop had a great influence)

Here's some of the videos I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=supro+jamesport+electric+guitar

I spent the evening playing this guitar thru the Supro amp and it was absolutely superb throughout. Articulate. Full. Great bottom end on the lower strings - Fendery, Gretchy, but also round and deeply full sounding. I threw a Danelectro Billionaire Pride of Texas overdrive pedal in the mix and was grinding out notes that punched me in the face like a Marshall amp. This is a surprisingly versatile guitar for a single pickup. And it holds tune perfectly!

I also posted this NGD on the Gretsch forum and a guy chimed in & told me that if you buy a Supro Jamesport from like Nov 1st thru December that they will give you a coupon code worth $130 good for any Supro merchandise through their website. I went to their Facebook page & got the details and submitted the necessary stuff. I wish I had known about this promotion before I ordered the Supro guitar case thru Sweetwater ($129) as I could have gotten the case free had I know about the promotion beforehand. The case has already been shipped & paid for so I guess I'll just go to the Supro store and get some more stuff.

This has been a very good day :)

Guitar Center has these as their deal of the day today except in blue. I finally pulled the trigger. Thank you Rev for posting about the coupon as well as about the guitar, I will use the coupon to get a free case for my new guitar.

Guitar Center has these as their deal of the day today except in blue. I finally pulled the trigger. Thank you Rev for posting about the coupon as well as about the guitar, I will use the coupon to get a free case for my new guitar.

csm_Supro_Jamesport_Guitar_Ocean_Metallic_Blue_004FIN_fa30d3a9ae.jpg

I saw that too. Congrats! [thumbup] Enjoy the guitar brother! These are great promotions designed to get us talking about them - and here we are doing just that :)

Looking forward to your impressions B)

csm_Supro_Jamesport_Guitar_Ocean_Metallic_Blue_004FIN_fa30d3a9ae.jpg

I saw that too. Congrats! [thumbup] Enjoy the guitar brother! These are great promotions designed to get us talking about them - and here we are doing just that :)

Looking forward to your impressions B)

My impressions are that this is one helluva guitar. The single coil in it sounds amazing clean or distorted. I like it enough that I just ordered a 2 pickup version called the Westbury from Alto Music. I am not sure why but the Westbury was only $399 new.

Archived