Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Sully Irna

The Flow

I just bought a brand new 2013 Sully Erna LP which has a push pull tone knob with a phaser,my question is does the tone control actually work for tone or is it only a phaser control ? I can't hear any difference in tone when down using it as a regular tone knob. Anybody have one ?

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about the Sully model with a phaser, but I have a few LPs with push/pulls on the tone control and whether they are up or down, they still control the tone. It would seem something is not right with yours if there is no tone control ever on the pickup who's tone control activates the phaser.

But again, I know nothing about this particular model. [crying]

I don't know anything about the Sully model with a phaser, but I have a few LPs with push/pulls on the tone control and whether they are up or down, they still control the tone. It would seem something is not right with yours if there is no tone control ever on the pickup who's tone control activates the phaser.

But again, I know nothing about this particular model. [crying]

Nope no tone control ,I contacted Gibson,this is the only guitar I've ever seen without one,I'll probably take it out if I can't figure out a way to configure it with tone control. ](*,)

Guest Farnsbarns

In order to act as a tone control and an effect control it would have to effectively be two pots so one is engaged when pulled and a different one engaged when it's not. I've never heard of a push/pull pot which engages a second potentiometer when pulled so I would assume it doesn't control tone.

Also, it's a flanger, not a phaser.

I watched the vid and the whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but to each his own.

If you have 2 pickups and keep the volume at zero on one of them flipping the pickup selector effectively mutes the guitar. But instead of doing that he designs a guitar with only one pickup (way less tone options) and uses the selector as a mute.

Then instead of having a tone control on the one and only pickup, he puts a flanger in there limiting the available tones even more. Hey Sully - ever hear of a flanger pedal?

Must be a lot of Godsmack fans out there dying to play like this guy so Gibson builds an entire model for it [confused]

I watched the vid and the whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but to each his own.

If you have 2 pickups and keep the volume at zero on one of them flipping the pickup selector effectively mutes the guitar. But instead of doing that he designs a guitar with only one pickup (way less tone options) and uses the selector as a mute.

Then instead of having a tone control on the one and only pickup, he puts a flanger in there limiting the available tones even more. Hey Sully - ever hear of a flanger pedal?

Must be a lot of Godsmack fans out there dying to play like this guy so Gibson builds an entire model for it [confused]

ours is not to wonder why, it's just to buy and buy and buy and buy

I don't think so,that is probably why I got it so cheap ! A brand new 2013 in 2017 !? [tongue]

Archived