Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Les Paul Standard T

Joe in Mobile

Hi,

Picked up a mint condition 2016 Les Paul Standard T in Heritage Cherry. Beautiful guitar. To pick guard or not to pick guard? It is beautiful but I am leaning toward putting it on as I am an older guy and in my day Les Pauls had to have pick guards. I know I should do what I like but just asking? The owners manual is not the best. It is more a history of Gibson. It would have been nice to go in to the details of my guitar, i.e. split coil, phase and by-pass, agree or not? I have only had a short opportunity to plug in and there seems to be a hum not sure if cable or not will double check and see. Anyone else experience this and if so what did you do to correct it? Anyway, even if it is a problem (which would @@@@@) I still love the playability and tone combinations. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Joe in Mobile

Hi,

Picked up a mint condition 2016 Les Paul Standard T in Heritage Cherry. Beautiful guitar. To pick guard or not to pick guard? It is beautiful but I am leaning toward putting it on as I am an older guy and in my day Les Pauls had to have pick guards. I know I should do what I like but just asking? The owners manual is not the best. It is more a history of Gibson. It would have been nice to go in to the details of my guitar, i.e. split coil, phase and by-pass, agree or not? I have only had a short opportunity to plug in and there seems to be a hum not sure if cable or not will double check and see. Anyone else experience this and if so what did you do to correct it? Anyway, even if it is a problem (which would @@@@@) I still love the playability and tone combinations. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Joe in Mobile

I wouldn’t but that is just my opinion. If I was buying a used guitar and one had the pick guard attached and the other included it but it wasn’t attached, the latter is what I would buy. Basically, if it is a keeper, attach the pick guard otherwise don’t.

I have three Les Pauls, two with pickguards, one without. I like the look either way, and after all its a Les Paul either way too. But like others have and will say "it's your guitar, do whatcha want. As long as your happy with it that's what matters." Remember though, round here its pictures or it didn't happen!

Hope you enjoy your new geetar!

Got some more playing time today and I had no issues with electronic hiss/hum. I was in a rush to try it out and used a cheap laying around the house instrument cable and today I used a quality braided cable and no problems. I thought that was it but wanted to be sure though. I have always been a Strat guy but in last 2 years I bought a 2003 Gibson Es-335 and now this 2016 Les Paul. They are great to play. The issues i have with the les paul is all of tonal options with each volume and tone control being able to be lifted and create a different tone. What a great problem Gibson has created for les paul standard users. ;) Will send pics later.

Joe in Mobile

I'm a honeyburst kinda guy, and couldn't imagine my Epi or Tribute in any other color, and no way in hell I'd have either one without pickguard.

I happen to think the heritage cherry looks as good or better without a pickguard, but I certainly see where you're coming from.

I'd just buy a pickguard and go "maybe next week" for the rest of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got the hum/buzzing fixed and it was just a cable.

I always go with the pickguard. Like you, I've been around awhile and all my Gibsons always had pickguards. I got used to resting my picking hand on the bridge/tailpiece and my little finger tends to fall on the pick guard. The fingernails of that right hand tend to scratch up the finish just below the strings. All my pickguards have scratches in the same place, but none of my guitar finishes are scratched [biggrin]

Believe that is why they are sometimes referred to as "scratch plates".

Archived