Gibson Brands Forums

Braided hookup compatible with quick connect?

TommyTunes

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi I'm new here. Does anybody know if there is a way to connect braided PU wires to a quick connect board?

Can you solder the connector to the braid and plug it in?

Guest Farnsbarns

??? The connector is a plastic housing with multiple pins within

I assume you're trying to attach the plug from the old pickup to the new pickup? Obviously the braid needs to connect to the ground. Connect it to the ground pin of the pug, the inner to the hot, and plug the plug back into the socket.

You could connect the braid to any ground, the back of a pot for example, but that defeats the object of having the quick connect.

I assume you're trying to attach the plug from the old pickup to the new pickup? Obviously the braid needs to connect to the ground. Connect it to the ground pin of the pug, the inner to the hot, and plug the plug back into the socket.

You could connect the braid to any ground, the back of a pot for example, but that defeats the object of having the quick connect.

I am replacing stock Gibson P90's with Mojotone '56 quiet coils. The stock P90's have multiple wires (why so many wires for a P90, and what is what I have no clue), the new ones have the ground braid and center. So I would have to cut the quick connect off of the end of the existing PU's, strip those on the connector side and find the one that works?

Guest Farnsbarns

Are you sure it's a p90? Unless it's tapped (not to be confused with split) I can't think why it would have 4 wires plus a shield. Could it be a p100?

Check for continuity on each wire to the other 3. If you find there's only 1 pair connected together it's just the factory using 4 conductor wire on everything and you can ignore what's not connected.

Are you sure it's a p90? Unless it's tapped (not to be confused with split) I can't think why it would have 4 wires plus a shield. Could it be a p100?

Check for continuity on each wire to the other 3. If you find there's only 1 pair connected together it's just the factory using 4 conductor wire on everything and you can ignore what's not connected.

Yes they are P90’s. I guess this is Gibson’s way of forcing use of the 5 pin connectors as a standard even if the pup doesn’t require 5. Frustrating...

It is still easy 4 are the conductors and 1 is the shield and is probably bare. The shield and black to go to ground (soldered to the ground lead off the quick disconnect plug), red to the controls (soldered to the hot lead off the quick disconnect plug), and the other two should be green and white they just get soldered together and not connected to anything (they are connecting the two coils in the pickup to each other in series). I would recommend leaving the two wires you solder together as long as the ones you are going to connect to the plug just in case you ever want to split it or take it out and use it somewhere else or sell it. If you want to tap or split them you may be out of luck using the quick disconnect, but just as a regular pickup it can be done and is easy. Cause if I can do it anyone can.

Again, the new ones I want to put in are vintage braided. No multiple colored wires

OK I misread to much into it. So exactly what do you currently have? You said the new pups are 2 conductor and you mentioned a 5 pin plug? The pup you want to remove are they Dog Ear or Soapbar?

Existing stock Gibson Soapbar P90's have 5 wires(wtf) attached to quick connects that plug into circuit board connectors. New P90's are vintage style braided leads.

Ok so is your plug 5 pins? And if so can your guitar coil tap or split the pups? You should be able to connect the center wire to the red wire off of the plug. Then connect the braided part to the black and bare wire and tape up the white and green. Insulate all wires of course so none touch. The white and green are probably connected at the circuit board to join the two coils..

Gibson's color scheme is this.

Red Slug Coil Hot

White Slug Coil Negative

Green Screw Coil Hot

Black Screw Coil Negative

Bare Ground

P90's are single coil...

Can you take a picture of your pickups and of the board and plug please

Think FZ is try to tell you , you'll need to cut the wire before the plug and solder your new pickup wire to the wire on the plug

But to make sure what he/we are hearing from you. Better take pictures before cutting.

Best off,, if unsure,,, take it to a tech for installation

Guest Farnsbarns

This is silly. Its such a simple circuit, the only good advice anyone can offer at this stage is to visit a local tech and pay a small amount to have them do it for you.

Hi Tommy;

To install your new 2 wire p90.....

AS FZ stated.....connect the center wire to the red wire off of the plug. Then connect the braided part to the black wire. Insulate all connections of course so none touch, including the green and white so that they don't touch something and ground out part of your board.

It really doesn't matter the deal with the old one (although it sounds like there is either a coil tap or a dummy coil in there somewhere for the extra wires) unless you want to install the old p90 into another circuit, but since it's being removed it's really not relevant.

Johnny

• 2 years later...

Hoping I can revive this very old thread - this answer above is the best I've seen yet for how to connect a single-conductor p90 to the 5-wire connector....but it leaves me with one question -

What about the bare wire in the Gibson 5-wire connector? Should that ALSO connect to the shield of the single-conductor wire? To diagram this with 5-wire on the left and p90 on right:

red > center wire
black > shield
green > join to white (no connection to p90)
white > join to green (no connection to p90)
bare > ?? does this  stay entirely disconnected or should this ALSO be connected to the shield of the single-conductor wire?

Thanks!!

Edited by Walker

I Soldered one about 2 years ago the lay out is

White (tap)

Green (tap)

Red (hot)

Black (ground)

Bare (shield)

If using pickups with braided shielding -

Connect the centre conductor (black) to the hot terminal (Red)

Connect the braid (bare) to the shield terminal 

If using pickups with 2 conductor shielded cables ( like a p94)

Connect the white conductor (tap) ,  to the hot terminal (red)

Connect black conductor to the ground 

Connect the bare conductor to the shield 

I isolated the spare wires with a bit of heat shrink, but there just cut off at factory originally