Gibson Brands Forums: Les Paul 58 Murphy aging - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Les Paul 58 Murphy aging

#1 User is offline   BlackArrow 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 20-October 12

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Hi everybody, I've recently purchased a beautiful Les Paul 58 True Historic Tom Murphy aged, brand new. I've a question and I hope someone could help me: I noticed that some of the scratches and indents over the bottom of the body - quiet deep - seem as they could lightly overpainted in a red gloss. Since I know that it's surely an original Gibson treatment, I'm only curious about the tecnique used by Murphy to age those beautiful guitars, and above all I wondered if Tom could arrive to the point to want recreate not only the normal appearance of sixty years of use through aging the wood, but also reproducing the temptative of some ideal owner to "hide " those indents and scratches painted them by himself.... It's pure fantasy or it could be the truth?... Thank you to everyone more expert than me that is so kind to answer.
0

#2 User is offline   FZ Fan 

  • Nanook Rubs It
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 5507
  • Joined: 15-October 13
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

View PostBlackArrow, on 09 November 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Hi everybody, I've recently purchased a beautiful Les Paul 58 True Historic Tom Murphy aged, brand new. I've a question and I hope someone could help me: I noticed that some of the scratches and indents over the bottom of the body - quiet deep - seem as they could lightly overpainted in a red gloss. Since I know that it's surely an original Gibson treatment, I'm only curious about the tecnique used by Murphy to age those beautiful guitars, and above all I wondered if Tom could arrive to the point to want recreate not only the normal appearance of sixty years of use through aging the wood, but also reproducing the temptative of some ideal owner to "hide " those indents and scratches painted them by himself.... It's pure fantasy or it could be the truth?... Thank you to everyone more expert than me that is so kind to answer.


What is it you want to know? I don't understand your question(s).
1995 - Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Jazz Bass Neck
1997 - Fender American Standard Tele with Rio Grande Pickups
2000 - Gibson SG Special
2003 - Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Strat Neck
2009 - Gibson BB King "Lucille" Signature Model
2009 - Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele
2011 - Martin D-28

2014 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's
2014 - Martin D-18

Fender Deville 60 Watt Combo Guitar Amp

Fender Blues Jr. 15 Watt Como Guitar Amp with a Weber Speaker
Mesa Transatlantc TA-15 Head 5W/15W/25W Switchable
Egnater Tweaker 40 Watt Combo Guitar Amp (On Loan To My Son)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Extension Cab with a Weber Speaker
Acoustic B100 Amp 100 Watt Bass Combo Amp
Orange CrushPiX CRL20 20 Watt Guitar Amp
0

#3 User is online   Allenjason95 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 471
  • Joined: 02-December 15

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

View PostFZ Fan, on 09 November 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

What is it you want to know? I don't understand your question(s).


He’s asking if the relicing technique includes making it look as if someone attempted to repair some of the blemishes previously.

This post has been edited by Allenjason95: 08 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

0

#4 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 12788
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

If you google youtube clips of tom murphy distressing Les Pauls you should be answered in full.

P.
0

#5 User is offline   jdgm 

  • Now's The Time!
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6129
  • Joined: 05-January 12
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

View Postpippy, on 08 December 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

If you google youtube clips of tom murphy distressing Les Pauls you should be answered in full.

P.



There are 7 parts....


https://www.youtube....h?v=FGaLB2I2GFE
0

#6 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 12788
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

View Postjdgm, on 08 December 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

There are 7 parts....

...and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching all 7 of them!

Pip.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users