Gibson Brands Forums: Les Paul 58 Murphy aging - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Les Paul 58 Murphy aging

#1 User is offline   BlackArrow 

• Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Hi everybody, I've recently purchased a beautiful Les Paul 58 True Historic Tom Murphy aged, brand new. I've a question and I hope someone could help me: I noticed that some of the scratches and indents over the bottom of the body - quiet deep - seem as they could lightly overpainted in a red gloss. Since I know that it's surely an original Gibson treatment, I'm only curious about the tecnique used by Murphy to age those beautiful guitars, and above all I wondered if Tom could arrive to the point to want recreate not only the normal appearance of sixty years of use through aging the wood, but also reproducing the temptative of some ideal owner to "hide " those indents and scratches painted them by himself.... It's pure fantasy or it could be the truth?... Thank you to everyone more expert than me that is so kind to answer.

#2 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

View PostBlackArrow, on 09 November 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Hi everybody, I've recently purchased a beautiful Les Paul 58 True Historic Tom Murphy aged, brand new. I've a question and I hope someone could help me: I noticed that some of the scratches and indents over the bottom of the body - quiet deep - seem as they could lightly overpainted in a red gloss. Since I know that it's surely an original Gibson treatment, I'm only curious about the tecnique used by Murphy to age those beautiful guitars, and above all I wondered if Tom could arrive to the point to want recreate not only the normal appearance of sixty years of use through aging the wood, but also reproducing the temptative of some ideal owner to "hide " those indents and scratches painted them by himself.... It's pure fantasy or it could be the truth?... Thank you to everyone more expert than me that is so kind to answer.

What is it you want to know? I don't understand your question(s).

#3 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

View PostFZ Fan, on 09 November 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

What is it you want to know? I don't understand your question(s).

He’s asking if the relicing technique includes making it look as if someone attempted to repair some of the blemishes previously.

This post has been edited by Allenjason95: 08 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

#4 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

If you google youtube clips of tom murphy distressing Les Pauls you should be answered in full.

P.

#5 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

View Postpippy, on 08 December 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

If you google youtube clips of tom murphy distressing Les Pauls you should be answered in full.

P.

There are 7 parts....

https://www.youtube....h?v=FGaLB2I2GFE

#6 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

View Postjdgm, on 08 December 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

There are 7 parts....

...and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching all 7 of them!

Pip.

#7 User is offline   Pin 

• Thread Killer
  • LocationSouthend, Essex

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

View Postpippy, on 09 December 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

...and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching all 7 of them!

Pip.

And I still cannot understand the point or the logic of doing any of it. I still regard it as criminal damage.
GUITARS: 1978 Gibson Les Paul 25 / 50; Gibson ES345 1959 Reissue; 1974 Yamaha AE12 jazz box; Yamaha SG2000: Fender "Roland Ready" Strat; Epiphone Les Paul '56; Epiphone SG400; HK Steinberger copy; Cimar Classical.
AMPS & EFFECTS: Various effects, synths and Mesa Maverick 1 x 12.

#8 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

View PostPin, on 17 December 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

And I still cannot understand the point or the logic of doing any of it. I still regard it as criminal damage.

It’s just what posers do. They want their guitar to appear to be something it’s not.

#9 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

It wouldn't be my preference. My older guitars have been aged by my own playing them, on stage and off, for 30+ years. But, if someone else wants to pay to make their guitar look old, it's their money and their guitar. They can do as they want. They won't really fool knowledgeable people. But, if they have the money and thinks it looks cool, it's none of my business.

#10 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Some folks pay highly talented modern-day painters to replicate a Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers' painting accurate down to V.V.G.'s brushwork to stick on their wall.
Some folks have a Tom Murphy aged 'Pearly Gates'.
IMO the latter have better taste.

Pip.

This post has been edited by pippy: 18 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

#11 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

View PostMichaelT, on 18 December 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

It wouldn't be my preference. My older guitars have been aged by my own playing them, on stage and off, for 30+ years. But, if someone else wants to pay to make their guitar look old, it's their money and their guitar. They can do as they want. They won't really fool knowledgeable people. But, if they have the money and thinks it looks cool, it's none of my business.

The guys who really know what they’re doing will fool anyone. I read a book about the original burst 58-60 LP a while back and in the book one of the experts says even he can never be 100% sure the guitars are authentic because of relicing and expert guitar makers who can replicate any detail on an old guitar.

And of course people can do what they want but it doesn’t make it any less fake or ridiculous. Especially the homemade “relic” jobs on Craigslist or Ebay. There’s a Fender Highway 1 Strat I was looking at on Reverb that was marked down because someone had “reliced” it. It looked like they just used a sander to take paint off in random spots, which of course looks retarded.

#12 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

View Postpippy, on 18 December 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Some folks pay highly talented modern-day painters to replicate a Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers' painting accurate down to V.V.G.'s brushwork to stick on their wall.

Pip.

I’ve seen them “fix” old valuable guitars that had damage and they “age” the repairs to match the rest of the guitar. Personally I’d rather a repair be left alone, it adds to a guitars character and uniqueness IMO. It also prevents anyone from trying to pass it off as “all original” down the line.

My 95 Classic is beat to hell and I did about 95% of it (my dad did the other 5) by playing it. Im proud of that. I wore a tiny sliver of the finish off where my arm rests and I played the dog crap out of that guitar for over 15 years.

I would never buy a “”reliced” guitar.

#13 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

View Postpippy, on 18 December 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Pip.

I’ve never gotten wanting to own an exact replica of someone else’s guitar either. I mean, I think Steve Jones’ 1974 white LPC is the coolest looking guitar there ever was or will be, and I own a white LPC because of him, but I don’t want my guitar to be a copy of his. I want my guitar to be my guitar. But do many people try to replicate his down to the stickers, aged finish, no pickup covers, no pickguard etc etc etc.

#14 User is offline   'Scales 

• Lurking at the threshold
  • Locationpeace

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:12 AM

The Mexican Fender relics I've come across have been pretty dreadfully 'relic'd' - not only do they not look genuine, they also seem to have been done exactly the same as each other as though it is part of a machine job along a production line. Compared to my own beat up old guitars they look completely different. I have had the pleasure of trying an early-mid nineties John Cruz (sp?) heavy relic'd butterscotch early 50's custom shop Tele though, and it was really cool looking, a very different beast. I guess you pays for your beatings.

This post has been edited by 'Scales: 19 December 2017 - 03:13 AM

we had longer ways to go, but no matter, the road is life.

#15 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

View Post'Scales, on 19 December 2017 - 03:12 AM, said:

The Mexican Fender relics I've come across have been pretty dreadfully 'relic'd' - not only do they not look genuine, they also seem to have been done exactly the same as each other as though it is part of a machine job along a production line. Compared to my own beat up old guitars they look completely different. I have had the pleasure of trying an early-mid nineties John Cruz (sp?) heavy relic'd butterscotch early 50's custom shop Tele though, and it was really cool looking, a very different beast. I guess you pays for your beatings.

I played a heavily Relic'd Nash Tele. Hate the look of it, but what an axe. Through a Mesa Mark V. It screamed, but at over 2k not a chance.

#16 User is offline   JayinLA 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDTLA

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

I need some help. I bought a Brand New Gibson instrument and payed the 6k retail asking price....but there's dents and scratches all over it. Some setup guy named Murphy signed the card. Guess he was in a rush that day. Didn't take the time to realize the guitar was pretty smashed up, some cigarette burns in the headstock too. I didn't know the luthiers at Gibson were allowed to smoke while working. Who should I talk to about this?

#17 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostJayinLA, on 20 December 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

I need some help. I bought a Brand New Gibson instrument and payed the 6k retail asking price....but there's dents and scratches all over it. Some setup guy named Murphy signed the card. Guess he was in a rush that day. Didn't take the time to realize the guitar was pretty smashed up, some cigarette burns in the headstock too. I didn't know the luthiers at Gibson were allowed to smoke while working. Who should I talk to about this?

You are joking right?

If QA let it out like that, then that is appalling and totally unacceptable. Could have happened at the place you bought it from (GC, SW, MF ect). They could have test driven it for you. Like I just heard someone say all the stuff on the floor at Guitar Center is really used gear no matter what is says.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 20 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users