Gibson Brands Forums: Features required to make Deckadance great - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Features required to make Deckadance great

#1 User is offline   Blank_Disk 

• Group: All Access

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

I have had many dj controllers, and Deckadance for a long while and have never to be able to fully use all features as most controllers only have so many buttons and use a combination of 2 keys, a shift key or midi modifiers to be honest all 3 features need adding as it would add a huge scope for midi controllability and enable people to take full advantage of the numerous features, I think this software is great but these few limitations are the one thing holding it back.
Stupidity is another form of natural selection.

#2 User is offline   TheMoroney 

• LocationUSA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

Finally able to get back into my account to address this. Deckadance does currently have the ability to use modifier keys. I would ask that you please take a look at almost any of the scripts that I have written for deckadance (I believe the best example of what your looking for can be found in my mixtrack pro 3 script) and you should be able to see that it is not only possible, but how a lot of the scripts that have been written, not just by me, but also Luis and Phatso, are able to accomplish what they can.
Guest Script Writer (IE, I do not work for Stanton, Gibson, or any of their associated brands, nor do I work any other companies who are in the industry. This also means I do not get any compensation for the scripts I write. All scripts that are written by me and all help given by me is to be acknowledged as one user helping another.)
Author of the Numark DJ2GO script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the Numark Orbit script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the updated version of the script for the M-Audio Xponent (included in 2.72)
Author of the Akai APK Mini script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the Numark Mixtrack 3 script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Deckadance user since 2014
FL Studio user since 2013

#3 User is offline   Blank_Disk 

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostTheMoroney, on 16 November 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

Finally able to get back into my account to address this. Deckadance does currently have the ability to use modifier keys. I would ask that you please take a look at almost any of the scripts that I have written for deckadance (I believe the best example of what your looking for can be found in my mixtrack pro 3 script) and you should be able to see that it is not only possible, but how a lot of the scripts that have been written, not just by me, but also Luis and Phatso, are able to accomplish what they can.

i had a look at scripting and its a real pain in the neck i could do without, others already have this feature.
Stupidity is another form of natural selection.

#4 User is offline   Scoox 

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

Deckadance has hands-down the best scripting engine of all DJ software out there. I've created sophisticated mappings for Traktor and trust me what took me weeks to do in Traktor's clumsy mapping manager would have taken me a few days in Deckadance. Creating mappings in Traktor is like painting a house through a keyhole. Of course, for very simple mappings you might find Traktor more user-friendly.

For me Deckadance is still lacking in some crucial areas, but I've already voiced my thoughts elsewhere on this forum and I'm sure LSD is well aware of what needs to be done before Deckadance can eat Traktor for breakfast [rolleyes]

#5 User is offline   Scoox 

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

I've been messing with scripts today and once I got something going it was super easy to come up with a decent mapping. For example, onc I managed to map an EQ knob with LED feedback to my Midi Fighter Twister, I was able to map the entire mixer section within minutes—this would have taken me at least one hour in Traktor!

It's frustrating because DD delivers beautifully in some areas and yet it fails to deliver mainly on one core area: timing. Examples:

1. No beat sync: This is my top complaint. Often times, the Sync button is lit blue, but I can hear the beats of two tracks clearly are not aligned (sounds like galloping horses). Believe me when I say [u]this is the one single missing feature preventing Deckadance from beating the competition. There are 3 types of sync:

Type 1: Ensures tempo is the same (DD has this one)
Type 2: Ensures tempo is the same, and ensures beats match
Type 3: Ensures tempo is the same, and ensures downbeats match

2. Firing hotcues cause track to lose sync, even though the Sync button is still blue. I can actually see the downbeats in the waveforms don't line up.
3. Beat gridding too basic: in Traktor you can set multiple grid markers, in DD just one. Good thing I can do manual beat matching!
4. No load markers like in Traktor: Tracks need to load to a predefined position, rather than the very beginning.
5. Sample player doesn't sync properly: It plays loops slightly off-beat, which deems the sample player practically useless for playing loops, which is among the main uses of a DJ sampler player.
6. Zoomable waveforms in 4-deck view: With 4 side panels on a deck, I can only see 9 beats at the current fixed waveform zoom level. In Traktor, I usually have my waveforms zoomed out all the way so I can see ahead of playng tracks. In Traktor I usually zoom out all the way, which displays 40 beats.
7. Full-cut EQ and filter: See Traktor.

As it stands, Deckadance is only good for delivering a utilitarian DJ set, you know, nothing fancy, just matching BPM, fading tracks in an out with a bit of EQ and a touch of FX here and there. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but some times I like to get funky and do a bit of beat juggling, play loops and samples, etc, while being sure that the application won't mess up timing. ATM DD can't do that and Traktor can, so Traktor continues to be my go-to DJ software. And I hate it...

Deckadance is VERY close to perfect, come on guys, you can do it!

This post has been edited by Scoox: 07 March 2018 - 11:06 AM

#6 User is offline   Luis Serrano 

• Group: Gibson Pro Audio

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the report Scoox. I'm a little bit confused with your point number one because beat sync should work ok, at least here it's working fine.

#7 User is offline   Scoox 

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:50 AM

View PostLuis Serrano, on 08 March 2018 - 06:55 PM, said:

Thanks for the report Scoox. I'm a little bit confused with your point number one because beat sync should work ok, at least here it's working fine.

Luis, today I've spent nearly 6 hours just exploring every button and feature of the software. I've noticed plenty of little details that show you have put a lot of thought into the design of the software. I've noticed a bunch of things that don't seem right, and I've written them all down, now I just need to tidy up my notes so I can post them here.

Regarding point No. 1 of my previous message, here's what the help document says (link):

1 - Set the nearest marker to the play-head as the downbeat. The downbeat is the first beat of the bar. The downbeat setting is critically important when automatic beat-synchronization with other decks, samplers, VST MIDI players is required.

There are two problems here, the first one is that the (1) button should only place the (1) marker at the position of the existing nearest beat grid marker. The beatgrid offset relative to the waveform should not be affected, but clicking the (1) button screws up the beatgrid offset. The second problem, which is was I was talking about in my previous message, is that the help implies that DD can do bar-sync, that's why the (1) marker needs to be placed on the first beat of a bar (it doesn't matter which bar you choose if the BMP is constant throughout the track). It's very important to understand the difference between bar-sync and beat-sync: two bar-synced tracks are also beat-synced, but two beat-synced tracks are not necessarily bar-synced. So, in DD if I have two tracks playing and they are currently bar-synced, say Deck A and Deck B, if suddenly I seek to a random point by clicking anywhere in the waveform map, there is a 1/4 chance that the track will be bar-synced at the new position, and 3/4 chance that it will not. As you can see, the chance of screwing up the bar-sync are higher, and it is what usually happens, which destroys the flow of the mix. I hope that makes sense.

I've added these points to my comprehensive list, I will post as soon as I can. Might be busy this weekend as I'm helping a friend move home.

Thanks!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users