Gibson Brands Forums

Going to China

Tman

Going Saturday for work related conferences. I didn't consult with the president about his trip and he didn't ask about mine :rolleyes: . You've might have heard of Shanghai. Also going to Shijiazhuang (10,000,000 people), Guangzhou (14,000,000) and Zhuhai (smaller resort town). Nothing guitar related but I will certainly check out anything that looks related.

No personal experience here, other than a friend who is a sales rep with sources in China. He goes there 3-4 times per year. His advice: if you're in a major city, you're pretty much okay. If going out into the "countryside", take a gymbag or backpack full of protein bars because it's all you're going to want to eat. All in all, his opinion is that major cities are okay, the rest of China is a hell hole. Have fun [laugh] .

I agree with the major cities part. I went there the first time in 2006 and it has changed dramatically since then. Really modern and cosmopolitan now.

Last time I went into the country side and I thought the food was phenomenal. I went with locals who knew where good places to eat were. The amount of food served is really unbelievable (it's a lot). I did feel like a bit of a rock star out in the countryside. People wanted to touch my hair and have their pictures taken with a foreigner. [biggrin] The hole in the floor bathroom without toilet paper is definitely something to get used to.

No personal experience here, other than a friend who is a sales rep with sources in China. He goes there 3-4 times per year. His advice: if you're in a major city, you're pretty much okay. If going out into the "countryside", take a gymbag or backpack full of protein bars because it's all you're going to want to eat. All in all, his opinion is that major cities are okay, the rest of China is a hell hole. Have fun [laugh] .

I would agree with this, traveled with work years ago for a 3wk trip and did just that. What really got me was the time change, wake up in the night hungry....took about a week to get adjusted. Have fun

Only been to Hong Kong, which was cool in a super busy sort of way. I enjoy seeing the way others live and I bet you do too Philip - enjoy. [thumbup] and maybe try a Chibson or two - perhaps a 'Flying Wee'.

I'm off to London again next weekend and that's a loooong trip - I have almost fainted from exhaustion on that one occasionally as we get in at dawn and you've just got to stay awake that first day and then try and sleep well the first night.

I shalln't post any pics of sausages, mashed potato and warm flat beer. [smile]

Guest Farnsbarns

Wow, you lucky, lucky bastard. Mrs farns and I are thinking of a Japan and China trip returning from BJS on the trans-siberian via Mongolia.

(Not until after we've visited you!)

If you get a chance then check out a series on youtube called $20 travelling. They go and visit some interesting parts that tourists would generally forget to do. There's quite a few video's of China as part of that and they even visit the Tsingtao brewery (we get that beer over here in the UK, not sure if its in the US yet)

Only been to Hong Kong, which was cool in a super busy sort of way. I enjoy seeing the way others live and I bet you do too Philip - enjoy. [thumbup] and maybe try a Chibson or two - perhaps a 'Flying Wee'.

I'm off to London again next weekend and that's a loooong trip - I have almost fainted from exhaustion on that one occasionally as we get in at dawn and you've just got to stay awake that first day and then try and sleep well the first night.

I shalln't post any pics of sausages, mashed potato and warm flat beer. [smile]

[biggrin][thumbup] Enjoy the trip! I heard it is unbelievably long from my sister who does it every once in a while from Melbourne. China's 8 hour difference is enough.

Wow, you lucky, lucky bastard. Mrs farns and I are thinking of a Japan and China trip returning from BJS on the trans-siberian via Mongolia.

(Not until after we've visited you!)

How are you doing today my friend? You guys get over the California when you can. You have a place to stay and an entire band to jam with! Including a real drummer although my brother did pretty well in a pinch.

For the love of god, try to avoid shoplifting!!!

I'm afraid I won't be able to hide anything in my suitcase. I think food is the main thing I want to bring back. :rolleyes:

If you get a chance then check out a series on youtube called $20 travelling. They go and visit some interesting parts that tourists would generally forget to do. There's quite a few video's of China as part of that and they even visit the Tsingtao brewery (we get that beer over here in the UK, not sure if its in the US yet)

I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the tip! Most of the time I'll be with work colleagues. I think they have something in store. When it comes to food they won't try to shock me after last time. I was told I have a Chinese stomach. The only thing I won't eat is raw liver and the unborn chick thing that I can't spell (Balut?)

It has been over here as long as I can remember drinking. And I'm 51. Haven't had it in years since there are so many better beers out there.

I am a big wine drinker. What is served as wine many times is more like grappa. I end up drinking beer with dinner. Good stuff.

Try to bring back some articles about the shitty imported US guitars over there!

rct

Maybe I'll come up with some ways to address the trade imbalance. [unsure]

• 2 weeks later...

Phenomenal time. People were so nice and I was treated like royalty. Technologically advanced. Everything is paid by cell phone. Ali Pay (Ali Baba) is literally everywhere, even street vendors. Point your phone to the barcode and presto, it's paid. Means Alibaba can see if you bought chicken feet.

Gibson website was blocked. I couldn't post. New York times was blocked, but MSNBC wasn't. Fox wasn't. I couldn't shop online.

Food was phenomenal.

Real dichotomy, super modern cities vs. rural areas.

Shanghai:

IMG_5005_zps9kapteuf.jpg

Guangzhou.

IMG_5025_zpstnwxb7zf.jpg

Festival of lights in Guangzhou (the fire looking thing is a water spray display).

IMG_5026_zpsyjmfsdxl.jpg

Guangdong loaches (I'd never heard of them either). Little fish that swim around rice patties.

IMG_5072_zpsy3wjfqjc.jpg

Sautéed goose intestines. Sounds gross. They were outstanding. I almost ate the whole plate. My hosts were surprised. They told me "The Cantonese are known for eating everything. You have a Chinese stomach".

IMG_5076_zpsuos8cmfl.jpg

Typical toilet. I got better over the week. Not every place has these. Hotels had western toilets. Oh, bring your own paper to the country side.

IMG_5063_zps8a2rdyo1.jpg

We used to call these "bomb drops" when I was in the Air Force!

God that's funny. Aiming takes practice I can confirm. Good exercise for your quads.

It is good to see an ashtray on the table after how many decades.

rct

I know right? Luckily all of the folks that I ate with are in the health profession and no smoking happened. [thumbup]

Archived