Gibson Brands Forums

BBg Saturday song edit , reaper version added for comparison

blindboygrunt

The GarageBand recording sounded crisper, and might've had a little higher recording level? What sort of processing did you use with the GB? Good job on both- how are your recordings a good bit louder than mine when I just use iPhone's Voice Memo; did you also mic up? Thx

The GarageBand recording sounded crisper, and might've had a little higher recording level? What sort of processing did you use with the GB? Good job on both- how are your recordings a good bit louder than mine when I just use iPhone's Voice Memo; did you also mic up? Thx

GB just has some EQ and reverb I think

And then that little ‘tone’ nob that’s on there. I turned it a bit

Wow, I came back to this thread. I thought the first recording sounded cool. Until I heard the one done in Reaper. I admit I have hearing loss, but to my ears, that one is light years better than the iPhone recording. It sounds good enough to be a commercial release. Can you please describe what you did on the Repear recording and the signal chain?

That is one fine performance, too! Fantastic voice and the guitar sounds absolutely perfect for a guitar/vocal recording.

Thanks very much

I’d like it to be louder but something seems to be lost when it’s transferred to soundcloud.

Volume needs to be full on the phone listening to it on the app

Song was recorded with a rode nt1 for vocal and a rode m30 , just done live , one take

Then I EQ both tracks with a couple of the presets on reaper

Then reverb is added to the vocal , again just a preset , I think I used ‘close female vocal’. Take some wet out of the settings or it’s way too much reverb

Then Eq in the master track

That’s it

The effects aren’t perfect because of the bleed into each mic , but it sounds a little better than just using one mic and having to have identical effects applied to both voice and instrument ..

And if anyone knows how to make soundcloud a little louder I’m interested ....

I certainly don't know much about recording my 'work tape' demo's but even I have lucked up a few times and it sounded great to me. That's mostly luck of twisting the right knobs because, in general, I don't know why I'm doing what I'm doing, lol. I just try this and that.

Where did you place the mic on your guitar?

Thanks very much

I’d like it to be louder but something seems to be lost when it’s transferred to soundcloud.

Song was recorded with a rode nt1 for vocal and a rode m30 , just done live , one take

Then reverb is added to the vocal , again just a preset , I think I used ‘close female vocal’. Take some wet out of the settings or it’s way too much reverb

That’s it

The effects aren’t perfect because of the bleed into each mic , but it sounds a little better than just using one mic and having to have identical effects applied to both voice and instrument ..

Real good info there. Didn’t know you were using two Røde mics; thought you were going straight into iPhone mic. Did you consider trying the Røde record app, or does Reaper offer much more? Thx

Thanks very much

That’s it

Real good info there. Didn’t know you were using two Rode mics; thought you were going straight into iPhone mic. Did you consider trying the Rode record app, or does Reaper offer much more? Thx

Real good info there. Didn’t know you were using two Røde mics; thought you were going straight into iPhone mic. Did you consider trying the Røde record app, or does Reaper offer much more? Thx

I use the laptop when recording with the two mics

The first versions on the phone the second is using laptop

I certainly don't know much about recording my 'work tape' demo's but even I have lucked up a few times and it sounded great to me. That's mostly luck of twisting the right knobs because, in general, I don't know why I'm doing what I'm doing, lol. I just try this and that.

Where did you place the mic on your guitar?

Mic is pointed toward the 12 fret. Roughly about 10’’ away or I bash it with my arm .

If I use the 00015 Martin I’ll point it at the bridge which makes more comfortable position for me to sit and play but if I do that with the j45 it’s too boomy

Archived