Gibson Brands Forums

Something bouncy on the old Banner

Lars68

I think it has a lot of potential Lars. Im glad to hear youre exploring diferent styles. I hear a lot of Billy Bragg stylistically.

Your pitch is also so much bettrr than a year sgo.

The phrasing and timing is not quite right when you start cramming the words in. Work on this so you keep the groove and vibe going.

Geez louise theme some miserable lyrics Lars

Hard enough coming to work on a Monday , now I wanna go and resign

I know. It would be too much of a u-turn thematically for me to do both bouncy music AND happy lyrics at the same time. One change from the norm at a time is enough. Maybe next time I can sing about sunshine and lazy days at the beach, but set to Nine Inch Nail kind of music [biggrin]

Lars

I wish I had written Girlfriend in a Coma. What a superb song that is. Morrissey is one of my many house Gods (no surprise, I guess).

I see myself as a mostly normal fellow, but for some unknown reason, songs about the more difficult human situations have always spoken to me more than poppy top 40 stuff. I bought Springsteen's Nebraska (about as depressing a record you'll ever find) when I was thirteen, back in 1982. At the time, the lyrics probably didn't mean much to me, but there was something in the mood of the songs that drew me in. It's been that way when it comes to music ever since. Don't blame me, blame Bruce [biggrin]

Yes, like in Norway, winters here are long and cold. So much of the time is spent indoors. There will be plenty of time to write more songs before spring is here again. Olie, I haven't seen you posting any song lately. If I remember correctly you posted a stunningly good Neil Young song a while back. At least I think that was you?

Lars

just to be clear,Lars, I was born in Norway but came to Canada a long time ago.There is a similarity between Northwestern Ontario, where I grew up,and Scandinavia and I have retained quite a bit of the mindset over the many years living in Canada.Your recollection of a Neil song was not from me. It was probably a story or two that I related regarding a time many years ago in what is now Thunder Bay , when I worked in a coffeehouse and Neil played there.He was very generous in helping me to learn how to play guitar and I remember fondly times when he let me play his Gretch Country Gentleman as well as to drive "Mort" his old Buick hearse.Wonderful thinking about them now. He was broke most of the time. I think things turned out quite nicely for the fellow!" Long may (we all) run."

Nice work, Lars! It's always great to hear you and that old guitar.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Thanks John! I'm trying to do the guitar justice. I'm slowly getting better. It's a blessing to have daily access to such an instrument.

Lars

Archived