Gibson Brands Forums

SG Derek Trucks - Trouble Keeping it in tune

GruvenTom

I've had my SG Derek Trucks for three years (2013 model). Have always used 9s - sometimes Gibson strings, other times Ernie Ball Slinkys. Have had it professionally set up once with my trusty luthier after the first time I experienced the guitar going out of tune (particularly the G string) more than I'm used to. (I practice 3-4x a week 60 minutes or so at a time.) Am frustrated at how often I've got to keep re-tuning this guitar, particularly the G string despite carefully moving the tuning peg only to here the gear "pop", and it goes out of tune. Is anyone else experiencing this frustration? Thanks for any input on resolving this issue.

-Tom

I've had my SG Derek Trucks for three years (2013 model). Have always used 9s - sometimes Gibson strings, other times Ernie Ball Slinkys. Have had it professionally set up once with my trusty luthier after the first time I experienced the guitar going out of tune (particularly the G string) more than I'm used to. (I practice 3-4x a week 60 minutes or so at a time.) Am frustrated at how often I've got to keep re-tuning this guitar, particularly the G string despite carefully moving the tuning peg only to here the gear "pop", and it goes out of tune. Is anyone else experiencing this frustration? Thanks for any input on resolving this issue.

-Tom

If you are hearing a ping or a pop, its the string binding (unlikely the machine head gear but not impossible). Its probably binding in the nut but could be at the saddle too.

As FZ said, some lube in the nut should do it or have your trusty tech dress the slots a little.

Johnny

+1 on the nut being where the trouble is. that is where probably 85 to 90 % of all tuning problems start.

If you don't want to wait out ordering Big Bends nut sauce (good stuff, I always have some handy too) you can use either a dab of Vaseline -- apply with a tooth pick, or just score some led from a pencil (graphite from a pencil is another good "lubricant" for a nut)

if your nut is white, maybe try Vaseline.. unless you don't mind the pencil dust.

Archived