Gibson Brands Forums

Differences in Dots

Edwired

Hi guys this is my first post here, I literally just got back in from trying a Dot, 339 and Sheraton in Dawsons (UK) as I'm looking for my first electric and found that the Dot is the one for me. I tried a 2016 model (serial: 1604203509) but I've been talking to a guy on eBay who has one £180 cheaper, but it's a 2008 model (serial: 0812232366).

I just wanted to check if there would be any differences between the 2016 one I tried and this 2008 - I found the neck on the Sheraton too thick i.e. so I'd like to make sure the Dot I tried will be the same as the Dot I buy. Its also been fitted with a 5-way varitone, chicken head switch and I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this or if you had any advice in general?

(eBay guitar is pictured)

Many thanks for reading, Ed

post-88637-086761900 1510586073_thumb.jpg

Hi guys this is my first post here, I literally just got back in from trying a Dot, 339 and Sheraton in Dawsons (UK) as I'm looking for my first electric and found that the Dot is the one for me. I tried a 2016 model (serial: 1604203509) but I've been talking to a guy on eBay who has one £180 cheaper, but it's a 2008 model (serial: 0812232366).

I just wanted to check if there would be any differences between the 2016 one I tried and this 2008 - I found the neck on the Sheraton too thick i.e. so I'd like to make sure the Dot I tried will be the same as the Dot I buy. Its also been fitted with a 5-way varitone, chicken head switch and I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this or if you had any advice in general?

Would jump on the guitar with the Varitone. If it all checks out good that thing should be a Tone Monster

not really a cheap upgrade either, and not too easy just to do at home-that's my opinion-others make a cakewalk of it.

Would be nice to have the number dial marker but not entirely necessary

Depending on the Factory (EE or 15 are the same depending on year) due to various upgrades through the years

I would more than likely go for the 2016.

If the 2008 is from Unsung Korea (U) or labeled 'Made In Korea' that I would prefer it.

The sheraton neck was thicker? My two sheratons both have slim necks, my dot studio has a chunky neck. I paid £200 for my dot studio in 2011, i like the way it plays after a set up and a few mods, brilliant value for money.

I cant coment on the similarities in neck profile between the two dots you have seen but would guess they may be similar simply due to cnc programing, i doubt they woild change profile on a standard model year to year. Although i think the ebay one was made in Indonesia and the 2016 model would be made in china, could possibly lead to slight difference in neck profile, but again i doubt it. My 2004 Korean and 2012 Chinese sheratons feel exactly the same.

I think im with 212 on the ebay one, a varitone is a mod i would like to add to my dot and is not cheap/easy!

Would jump on the guitar with the Varitone. If it all checks out good that thing should be a Tone Monster

not really a cheap upgrade either, and not too easy just to do at home-that's my opinion-others make a cakewalk of it.

Would be nice to have the number dial marker but not entirely necessary

Depending on the Factory (EE or 15 are the same depending on year) due to various upgrades through the years

I would more than likely go for the 2016.

If the 2008 is from Unsung Korea (U) or labeled that I would prefer it.

Are all varitones the same? I'm mainly going to play indie/rock with this Dot so it's important that there's an off position on it.

Running the serial number shows it's a Indonesian guitar:

111317112742.png

Thanks a lot, Ed

The sheraton neck was thicker? My two sheratons both have slim necks, my dot studio has a chunky neck. I paid £200 for my dot studio in 2011, i like the way it plays after a set up and a few mods, brilliant value for money.

I cant coment on the similarities in neck profile between the two dots you have seen but would guess they may be similar simply due to cnc programing, i doubt they woild change profile on a standard model year to year. Although i think the ebay one was made in Indonesia and the 2016 model would be made in china, could possibly lead to slight difference in neck profile, but again i doubt it. My 2004 Korean and 2012 Chinese sheratons feel exactly the same.

I think im with 212 on the ebay one, a varitone is a mod i would like to add to my dot and is not cheap/easy!

A better description would be height of the neck. It felt like the curved arch of the Sheraton bowed more into my hand whereas the Dot had a flatter profile and wider fretboard.

Are all varitones the same? I'm mainly going to play indie/rock with this Dot so it's important that there's an off position on it.

111317112742.png

Thanks a lot, Ed

I don't know what he has it controlling so it's best to ask.

Not all are the same, especially if it's done for a certain reason and not factory spec.

Know what you're getting into; but it is an exciting option

Indonesia (Samick/Cort) are legends at making big box guitars. Should be OK

111317112742.png

Thanks a lot, Ed

All varitones are not the same --- several manufacturers make them, each with slightly different specs.

Typically, position 1 is a bypass, so you're getting just the pickups as though there were no varitone. The other positions are essentially notch filters, that cut various frequency ranges by a certain number of decibels to modify the tone. B.B. King famously favored position 2.

All varitones are not the same --- several manufacturers make them, each with slightly different specs.

Typically, position 1 is a bypass, so you're getting just the pickups as though there were no varitone. The other positions are essentially notch filters, that cut various frequency ranges by a certain number of decibels to modify the tone. B.B. King famously favored position 2.

Thanks for the help, just bought it now. It's going to be a grueling wait to the weekend before I pick it up...

I've owned two guitars with vari-tones. One was the "stock" Epi version, the other was an aftermarket variation. To me, the stock one was limiting, I wasn't wild about the values given to the different positions. The other was installed on a Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe (Epiphones take on a Gibson E-5). The fact that I preferred the Big D Vari-tone over the stock one could be because he used different values of capacitors, or that I was using it on a 3 pickup guitar, or that the pickups (custom P-90s) just worked better with it. In my opinion, if in the right situation, vari-tones are great. As for the trim rings, there are several different ones available on everybody's favorite auction site. My ZBD had gold trim, so I had gold ones (with black numbers) made and sold the ones I didn't use.

Here's the description that Big D gives. A lot will depend on whether resistors or a choke are used and their values.....

Position 1 = Bypass - True bypass switch is pulled from the system, will not ruin your original tone!

Position 2 = C1 - softer than bypass

Position 3 = C2 - deeper tone than bypass, better response

Position 4 = C3 - jazz box full

Position 5 = C4 - jazz box mellow

Position 6 = C5 -almost woman-ish tone

Different manufacturers, including Epiphone/Gibson use different values. The description I've read of theirs basically said "thinner" sounding as you went up the settings. Nice to have preset tones, for on the fly changes....

Archived