Gibson Brands Forums

Coil-splitting on a G400 and other things...

CherryRedRocker

I have an Epiphone G400 Faded ('16 or '17 model), and since my uncle's coming from the US of A in January, I'm thinking of getting some upgrades for it. Nothing too expensive, since I'm still a beginner ($150 hence, is a very optimistic budget).

I'm thinking of getting a strap for ~$35, and for the pickups, I'm looking to split them. Is this worthwhile? What other upgrades could I fit into my budget? No nut upgrades please, as I don't have access to a good tech!

I have an Epiphone G400 Faded ('16 or '17 model), and since my uncle's coming from the US of A in January, I'm thinking of getting some upgrades for it. Nothing too expensive, since I'm still a beginner ($150 hence, is a very optimistic budget).

I'm thinking of getting a strap for ~$35, and for the pickups, I'm looking to split them. Is this worthwhile? What other upgrades could I fit into my budget? No nut upgrades please, as I don't have access to a good tech!

Maybe invest in some cool pink strings or something

but I wouldn't get too hopped up on splitting those pickups unless they are 4 conductor wire type, it won't happen

Best upgrade is just clean it up real good, get the strap, and have some fresh strings on it and impress him with your chops.

I'm sure your ability will win him more than a few new parts on the guitar

which being as new as it is maybe it doesn't really need much.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's me

Best of luck!

Maybe invest in some cool pink strings or something

but I wouldn't get too hopped up on splitting those pickups unless they are 4 conductor wire type, it won't happen

Best upgrade is just clean it up real good, get the strap, and have some fresh strings on it and impress him with your chops.

I'm sure your ability will win him more than a few new parts on the guitar

which being as new as it is maybe it doesn't really need much.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's me

Best of luck!

Lol I wasn't talking about impressing my uncle. I meant that I can get parts from the US, which are not available in India... Would an electronics upgrade (caps and stuff) be noticeable for me? (Is it even needed?) And what's a 4 conductor wire type pickup? How do I know if mine are like that?

Lol I wasn't talking about impressing my uncle. I meant that I can get parts from the US, which are not available in India... Would an electronics upgrade (caps and stuff) be noticeable for me? (Is it even needed?) And what's a 4 conductor wire type pickup? How do I know if mine are like that?

The faded has standard Epiphone pickups with 2 conductor wire.

I couldn't upgrade mine until a new set of Duncan's were installed, then I had to upgrade the pots. The entire job cost around $180, this was 2008, I don't do that kind of work, so I had to get someone to help me. You might have to look for new pickups, especially if you're wanting to split, but there are good choices like GFS that don't cost much.

The faded has standard Epiphone pickups with 2 conductor wire.

I couldn't upgrade mine until a new set of Duncan's were installed, then I had to upgrade the pots. The entire job cost around $180, this was 2008, I don't do that kind of work, so I had to get someone to help me. You might have to look for new pickups, especially if you're wanting to split, but there are good choices like GFS that don't cost much.

Hmm... changing pickups is one lane I don't wanna go down right now. I guess I'll just work on my playing then.

A good strap is a good upgrade msp_rolleyes.gif As for adding coil splitting you would probably have to change the pickups. I would try a guitar that has coil splitting first to see if you like the effect. I have two guitars with that feature and never use it.

Can you suggest a good leather strap? Something in black, hopefully!

I have a Vorson black leather strap, thick, long. Worth the $:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--VORD0TL

(keep away from the alligator skin version. It peels)

I also like the D'Addario/Planet Waves strap from Amazon-

these are thin and light but work great for my needs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037M62KA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a Vorson black leather strap, thick, long. Worth the $:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--VORD0TL

(keep away from the alligator skin version. It peels)

I also like the D'Addario/Planet Waves strap from Amazon-

these are thin and light but work great for my needs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037M62KA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How's suede as a strap material? There's one from Levy's but it's only 2 inches:

https://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leathers-MS12-BRN-2-inch-Suede-Leather/dp/B00074IITO/ref=sr_1_23?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1509816111&sr=1-23&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A5651833011&th=1

The Dunlop strap locks do not require drilling, just remove the original strap buttons and used the holes already there.

I would also suggest locking tuners, it makes changing strings faster and it keeps it in tune better.

You could get the switchcraft pots and orange drop caps, but you will need to be able to solder then in.

Same with a switchcraft switch and jack.

If you check e-bay, there are a number of sellers that have re-pot kits for Epi's and they usually come with wiring instructions.

I can do it, but then again, I am a tech, so it's kinda in the job discretion.

I would not coil tap them, the pick ups you have are quite good as they are, they just need better electronics to get them to sound better.

I hope this helps.

JT

The Dunlop strap locks do not require drilling, just remove the original strap buttons and used the holes already there.

I would also suggest locking tuners, it makes changing strings faster and it keeps it in tune better.

You could get the switchcraft pots and orange drop caps, but you will need to be able to solder then in.

Same with a switchcraft switch and jack.

If you check e-bay, there are a number of sellers that have re-pot kits for Epi's and they usually come with wiring instructions.

I can do it, but then again, I am a tech, so it's kinda in the job discretion.

I would not coil tap them, the pick ups you have are quite good as they are, they just need better electronics to get them to sound better.

I hope this helps.

JT

Is there a noticeable difference?

Archived