Gibson Brands Forums

Ain't A Gibson But It Sure Is Cool

zombywoof

Not a Gibson because they never built these. But in the quest to expand my musical boundaries I picked up a 1952 Kay K10 bass viol. This one is a 1/4 size so just a baby. Not sure what the heck to do with it yet but I am having a blast putzing around. Here is a photo I took right after we got it (still missing a string) propped up in the corner.

L1010958.jpg

L1010960.jpg

A fine addition!

I don't have a Kay bass -- I only carry them for my wifemsp_rolleyes.gifmsp_rolleyes.gif. She has five old Kay basses. Three are 7/8 sized S-51 (5-stirgs) that are her main performance and playing basses. the other two are a standard 3/4 and a 1/4 like yours both from 1948.

We use the 1/4 for sessions that are less intense than traditional bluegrass and (its most important use) for recording in our home green screen studio. That studio was designed to do faithful reproduction of single guitars -- a full sized bass and in-you-face bluegrass band overpowers that room. So we down size -- the 1/4 bass, 1924 Gibson RB-4 banjo, and 1962 Hummingbird -- all instruments rejected for bluegrass for lack of power.

Here is one recording

There are many more here and here.

1-5-1-5

--Tom

A fine addition!

I don't have a Kay bass -- I only carry them for my wifemsp_rolleyes.gifmsp_rolleyes.gif. She has five old Kay basses. Three are 7/8 sized S-51 (5-stirgs) that are her main performance and playing basses. the other two are a standard 3/4 and a 1/4 like yours both from 1948.

We use the 1/4 for sessions that are less intense than traditional bluegrass and (its most important use) for recording in our home greed screen studio. That studio was designed to do faithful reproduction of single guitars -- a full sized bass and in-you-face bluegrass band overpowers that room. So we down size -- the 1/4 bass, 1924 Gibson RB-4 banjo, and 1962 Hummingbird -- all instruments rejected for bluegrass fo lack of power.

Here is one recording

There are many more here and here.

1-5-1-5

--Tom

Gave the recording a listen - very nice. My wife played one of these small basses when she was in middle school. We are just planning to have some fun with it and play it (once I start getting the hang of it) when our living room turns into a picking parlor every couple of weeks. I am a fan of Kay guitars so for me this one was a no brainer. Anyway, thanks for some much needed inspiration. It is always nice to hear what something sounds like when played by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Interestingo - now you just need a naked woman.

No, for heavens, pardon me. What is this - an antique mail-box, a dessert-wine-closet, a work by G. Braque ?

Real good burst. Things like these can do miracles in the right context. No matter what they are. . .

Archived