Gibson Brands Forums

RSSVVSNH1 2007 Southern Jumbo TV

dauntless

Hi All,

I am trying to find out about model RSSVVSNH1. It is listed as a 2007 Southern Jumbo True Vintage. From what I can find online, the True Vintage line of instruments started in 2007.

Here is what I have gathered from Gibson:

Spruce top

Mahogany back and sides

Mahogany neck

Rosewood fretboard

Bone nut

Gotoh tuning machines

The actual guitar was listed here before I bought it: https://reverb.com/item/7152850-gibson-southern-jumbo-true-vintage-2007

I always try to document a guitar as soon as I get it, so I can pas on the detail to whomever I sell or give it to down the line.

This model doesn't have a ton of info online.

Mine does not have the banner, and has a more modern logo. But Gibson lists the TV here: http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/Grace%20and%20Style_%20The%20Southern/

I have every reason to believe this is a legit guitar, as Gibson (first contact) gave me the specs above, based off the serial. And the owner has the COA, and original case, et al.

I think this may be one of the very first SJ TV off the line, it is listed as being made in February. So maybe the tweaked the models to have the banner after they started making them???

Help if you know about this SJ TV, thanks!!

Gibson got back to me (I emailed two different sources):

· Round shoulder body style

· Premium sitka spruce top

· Mahogany back and sides

· 6-ply top, 4-play back

· Mahogany neck

· 24-3/4" scale

· V-shape neck profile

· Madagascar rosewood fingerboard

· Single-ply fingerboard binding

· Mother-of-pearl parallelogram inlays

· 1.725" nut width

· Mother-of-pearl headstock logo inlay

· Madagascar rosewood bridge inlay

· Mother-of-pearl dot bridge inlays

· White bridge pins

· Closed back Gotoh tuners

· Tortoise southern jumbo pickguard

Hi All,

I am trying to find out about model RSSVVSNH1. It is listed as a 2007 Southern Jumbo True Vintage. From what I can find online, the True Vintage line of instruments started in 2007.

Here is what I have gathered from Gibson:

Spruce top

Mahogany back and sides

Mahogany neck

Rosewood fretboard

Bone nut

Gotoh tuning machines

The actual guitar was listed here before I bought it: https://reverb.com/item/7152850-gibson-southern-jumbo-true-vintage-2007

I always try to document a guitar as soon as I get it, so I can pas on the detail to whomever I sell or give it to down the line.

This model doesn't have a ton of info online.

Mine does not have the banner, and has a more modern logo. But Gibson lists the TV here: http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/Grace%20and%20Style_%20The%20Southern/

I have every reason to believe this is a legit guitar, as Gibson (first contact) gave me the specs above, based off the serial. And the owner has the COA, and original case, et al.

I think this may be one of the very first SJ TV off the line, it is listed as being made in February. So maybe the tweaked the models to have the banner after they started making them???

Help if you know about this SJ TV, thanks!!

Congrats on your SJTV. . I'd love to see a pic or two.

I've got a 2012 SJTV with the same model number, but it has the traditional banner headstock logo and banner. Other than that, the specs you listed are the same. I never noticed the early SJTV with a modern headstock logo MOP inlay and no banner - interesting. Sorry I can't provide more info for you.

BTW - the link you provided: https://reverb.com/item/7152850-gibson-southern-jumbo-true-vintage-2007 goes to a SJTV 2008 listing with a traditional headstock.

From your model# RSSVVSNH1

RS - Round Shoulder

SV - Southern jumbo true Vintage

VS - Vintage Sunburst

NH - Nickel Hardware

1 - right handed

I ownd a 2012 SJTV hide glue. It was supposedly pep with Adi, but I could tell it tell it was Sitka. I sold it, and before I did still neither the buyer or me could determine, even with the factory, what the top was.

The guitars was better than my J50. I think. Hard to recall prior sounds. It was fantastic and you are in for a treat. Mine also had the banner logo and it had tulips. Don’t do what I did! (And keep doing). Hold on to it....

This was mine.

Here is a link to the SJTV on Gibson's website.

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/True%20Vintage/Southern%20Jumbo/

The SJ New Vintage should be very similar. Here's the link:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Southern-Jumbo-New-Vintage.aspx

If you click on the SPECS tab it will give you detailed information you are looking for.

It looks like a great guitar. Enjoy it.

Thanks for all the replies. The guitar I bought is listed here (same link as above) https://reverb.com/item/7152850-gibson-southern-jumbo-true-vintage-2007.

I guess the reason I posted to the forum about the guitar was due to the unexplained newer Gibson Logo and missing banner, but as long is it plays as described, I'll be one happy camper.

It's listed as a 2007, and the serial shows a Feb 2007 birthdate. So I'm not really sure why this doesn't have the banner and the older logo. That post 1947ish logo threw me off, when I looked at archives from 2007. The guys at Gibson gave me the right specs for a SJ TV off the serial and pics I gave them, and this archived link: http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/True%20Vintage/Southern%20Jumbo/ matches all the specs. But the headstock is different on mine. Go figure??

The OG owner said this in general about the SJ TV:

You will see about everything on SJ TV guitars:

Some big pick guards, some small - this one is big

Some brown cases, some black - this one is brown

Some reverse belly bridges, some rectangular - reverse belly

Some banner decals, some without - no decal on this one

Some orange label, some white - orange label here

Some with TV designation on label, some without - no TV on label

So it goes with Gibson…

Not that any of these are true historic replicas, but no Gibson with a large pick guard and a reverse belly bridge (1949 on) ever had the Banner decal. Large pickguards started in 1954, well after the use of the banner decal ceased (1946). So, when I see a jumbo with the banner decal and a large pick guard, it looks fishy to me.

Maybe since they started the True Vintage in 2007, they iterated on the headstock early on or something. Or maybe mine was a mistake.

Also, if I put in a 2008 version in a url in my original post, sorry. My mistake! I was still trying to find what the guitar was.

I think I got a good deal on this guitar. I'll get it tomorrow, and I'll take some pics it folks are interested. I'm gonna check it for intonation and frets, and if it's at all not perfect, I may have it Pleked since they weren't doing that on all Gibson guitar until later. Super excited to play this, it's my first Gibson Acoustic!!!

Hey ThemisSal, that Dire Straights song you did is legit! Nice work and singing! I've been working on True Love Will Never Fade, love Mark Knopfler and Dire Straights.

I don't know if anyone at Gibson would have _more_ detail about this guitar, or could explain the reasoning for the differences from what is published. I'd be grateful if any Gibson employees read this and also find it a bit weird.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. The guitar I bought is listed here (same link as above) https://reverb.com/item/7152850-gibson-southern-jumbo-true-vintage-2007.

I guess the reason I posted to the forum about the guitar was due to the unexplained newer Gibson Logo and missing banner, but as long is it plays as described, I'll be one happy camper.

It's listed as a 2007, and the serial shows a Feb 2007 birthdate. So I'm not really sure why this doesn't have the banner and the older logo. That post 1947ish logo threw me off, when I looked at archives from 2007. The guys at Gibson gave me the right specs for a SJ TV off the serial and pics I gave them, and this archived link: http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/True%20Vintage/Southern%20Jumbo/ matches all the specs. But the headstock is different on mine. Go figure??

Your guitar as described, with the batwing pickguard and the crown inlay and block logo on the headstock, is more like the new vintage model than the true vintage model. As the seller(?) said, you would never find a banner script headstock logo with a batwing pickguard on an original vintage SJ.

It probably doesn't really matter either in the value of the guitar or how it sounds and plays. The true vintage models are not necessarily "true" to any particular era. They are usually a combination of features. Gibson has been known to mix and match features with no apparent rhyme or reason, so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it if you like the guitar.

If it has a tan case with pink lining, that is the case upgrade you usually (but not always) find with so-called new/true vintage models. Your guitar is probably "truer" in appearance to a late 1954 SJ than the banner logo "true vintage" models are to an actual vintage banner SJ, which would have an unbound neck and a 19-fret board rather than the bound board with 20 frets you usually see on modern "true vintage" re-interpretations by Gibson..

• 2 weeks later...

No pics yet sorry, I have been able to play only moderately because I was diagnosed with a SLAP tear and I mistakenly told my PT about it. She said if I practice I have to do the exercises right afterword, so... needles to say, I am "adjusting".

Also, seems like guitar will take a while to wake up. When I first played it, intonation and everything was OK, but just didn't have a ring to it. Now that I have played it a bit, it seems less dense and is starting to get that crispy, woody sound, but its not there yet, need to get my strings on it.

I think it will eventually become my #1, but it may take a Plek, some neck and nut work, but frankly the thing plays well just as it. The problem is I have one other guitar that is perfecto, so kinda hard when you hear the occasional mushy fret or intonation that isn't just right, when your other guitar just rings like a William Ackerman ditty (minus the 80s chorus)

Well, we need different guitars for different styles ... that is what I tell my wife. So why not keep them all?

I'll let you know if she approves...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Archived